Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Lloyd Irvin's Micro Transitional Drilling System Explained

Lloyd Irvin explains his transitional drilling system and demonstrates 2 of these systems 1. for a clock choke and 2. for a back attack finish

That was fantastic

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Every time he says "TRANSITIONAL" take a drink.

That was an amazing video.. I'm definitely going to have to rethink how I approach submissions.

Array

School
    Shawn Hammonds/NMMA
    Interesting video. Unfortunately the examples he gave were strictly gi and based off of the sheer number of extra handles in Gi grappling, I'd guess there are WAY more of these micro transitions designed for Gi grappling as opposed to nogi

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Downloaded for later viewing. Thanks.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jeron View Post
    Interesting video. Unfortunately the examples he gave were strictly gi and based off of the sheer number of extra handles in Gi grappling, I'd guess there are WAY more of these micro transitions designed for Gi grappling as opposed to nogi
    I think the overall point of the video was to demonstrate how to develop gaming strategies during drills. His examples just demonstrate how to discover common defensive errors during the transition, and how to isolate and drill a specific grip setup in that narrow transitional window in order to exploit a specific deficiency in your opponent. The moves are arbitrary as are the potential grip options.. it's more about hyper training a setup through a transitional opening that is brief and rarely defended properly by most people.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    I think the overall point of the video was to demonstrate how to develop gaming strategies during drills. His examples just demonstrate how to discover common defensive errors during the transition, and how to isolate and drill a specific grip setup in that narrow transitional window in order to exploit a specific deficiency in your opponent. The moves are arbitrary as are the potential grip options.. it's more about hyper training a setup through a transitional opening that is brief and rarely defended properly by most people.
    Perfect explaination.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    We have drills in our system like this as well. Maybe we could get more detailed but that is what we are doing when we practice flying kung fu move. It just doesn't seem comparable because it has a name.
    Jigoro Kano → Tsunejiro Tomita → Mitsuyo "Count Koma" Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo → Myself

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    He waits until the tipping point when he know the move will work 100% and then immediatly switches for the submission No wasted steps

Quote Originally Posted by jeron View Post
    Think bigger picture. The examples of the clock choke and the arm-in ezekiel choke were just the examples he picked because Keenan just tapped out Sinistro with those 2 moves at IBJJF Atlanta the other weekend.

The principle can be applied in any context. The idea is to find your own transitions and drill the shit out of them. If you're good at getting your forearm under their neck to start the RNC as you're taking the back before your second hook flies in, drill that transition, as a no-gi example of what was shown in this video.