Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamin Junkie

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK

Vitamin Junkie

i was watching the extras on Eddies Rubber Guard dvd and saw how many vitamins he takes on a daily basis. Got me interested in taking some more vitamins, but surely the 30 odd taken there can't be necessary?

currently i take;

vitamin c + zinc
    vitamin d
    multivitamins
    Q10 enzyme
    rosehip
    glucosamine
    acidophilus

Is there anything else i should take to help with my game? what do you guys take and how much of each would you reccommend?

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Bin the multivitamins for a start mate. Careful with that vit c too.

Its horses for courses really. There is no hard and fast rule that we should all be sticking too. From my limited understanding (disclaimer What one person lacks another will have excess of. So recommending any product over another online is pretty pointless on the whole.

Most of what you listed you probably dont need any extra of in all truthfulness. The vitamins our body needs exist in the foods we eat, (vit D comes from sunlight so just get outdoors if your concerned about that) and since we only need trace amounts of them it really shouldnt be an issue. A healthy balanced diet should be your priority over popping pills in my experience. This will then provide all your vitamins and enhance performance in all areas.

If you really want health benefits then stay on top of your sugar, sugar substitute and saturated fat intakes, if you are already good with diet then you probably dont need much of our advice

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Sorry Chris I totally disagree with the large majority of your post (with the exception of the sugar statement). I guarantee you are not getting all the nutrients from your food. This would be true if all our food weren’t genetically modified and stuffed with preservatives. Most people do not eat to fuel their body. I question everyone’s diet that says they have a good diet.

Just "getting outdoors" is not enough intake of Vit D for an athlete who constantly leaves their body depleted. Careful with Vit C? I take between 10,000-12,000mg a day as I train my ass off and my body needs it. Most people have no clue what they are putting in their body or what their body requires to stay functioning at a high level. I eat a natural and organic diet, every meal is planned out and I still need supplements in order to stay on the mat. If I continued with my previously thought "good diet" its wouldn't be on the mat 1/2 as much as I am today. I'd wager my old "good diet" was better than most's current "good diet". Don't limit your knowledge by not asking questions.

Paul you're on the right track. Also consider the quality of the brands you are using. Some supplement companies use alot of fillers than can negate the effects of the actual supplement. I highly recommend an organic diet along with organic and herbal supplements that are body was designed to digest.

Paul if you have specific questions I suggest going to my wife's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/BalanceByNature
    She is a certified herbalist and natural health professional and could guide you in the right direction. Without her guidance it'd be sitting on the sidelines far more often than being on the mat.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    thanks guys. on a whole i eat 90% healthy but started taking supplements about 6 months ago as i was getting sick every 3 or 4 weeks. started out just using vitamin c 200mg and multivitamins to boost my immune system and i litterally have not been sick since. so i have a huge belief in taking supplements.

i don't use facebook but i'll get my brother to check the page out to give me some help. thanks again for the advice guys.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    200mg is nothing , and active male should be having an intake of 8000-10,000mg a day.

He's a great resource http://www.mercola.com/

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    ya need some omega 3's in there as well.

I use krill oil

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Coach Zog do you eat Gluten Free as well?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Spalla View Post
    Coach Zog do you eat Gluten Free as well?
    Yes, Gluten is the devil.

Array

School
    woah! as much as that! i kid you not, the bottle these are in says 100mg is 125% of your RDA. i'm gonna grab some omega 3 tomorrow, thanks for the advice Chris, it really is much appreciated.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Yes, Gluten is the devil.
    Good to know. Gluten. Devil. Noted

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast