Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    NO 10TH PLANET WHERE I LIVE

What is your take on the 50/50 guard?

Any one use this and whats been the outcome?
    Thanks peeps......

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I think it's a great guard if you're better than your opponent at it. It's a skill based guard so if you're better, you have the advantage and it's more like an 80/20 guard (in your favor). Caio Terra recently used it and it was pretty awesome. I think a lot of high level BB's in MMA should use it more. Great way to avoid strikes, control your opponent, and you have plenty of options.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I think a lot of people hate the 50/50 because they dont understand the 50/50. It can be a great position in my opinion. I still need to get the reps in myself
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I like it in the right moment. The only time I try to get there is when my opponent is standing over me. That way I can sweep him with it and take the heel hook undefended. There are other situations that land me there, but I'm not really looking for it usually.

I think if more Jiu Jitsu guys understood (and were allowed) knee reaping style footlocks the 50/50 would be less prevalent. Also, I think the 50/50 in the IBJJF rule set is incredibly boring and pointless because the entire position is rendered nearly useless without the inverted heel hook; it's used almost exclusively to gain advantages. Yes, there are other submissions available from there, but they're few and far between.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I like it in the right moment. The only time I try to get there is when my opponent is standing over me. That way I can sweep him with it and take the heel hook undefended. There are other situations that land me there, but I'm not really looking for it usually.

I think if more Jiu Jitsu guys understood (and were allowed) knee reaping style footlocks the 50/50 would be less prevalent. Also, I think the 50/50 in the IBJJF rule set is incredibly boring and pointless because the entire position is rendered nearly useless without the inverted heel hook; it's used almost exclusively to gain advantages. Yes, there are other submissions available from there, but they're few and far between.
    I just shed a tear.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

I don't mind it, don't look to play it often, will end up there sometimes though in scrambles or inverted/leg games and have no issue with it and will work from there

I like Marcelo's thoughts on it, will have to watch the vid again, but basically went like this on why he doesn't play 50/50

"I never give 50, it doesn't make sense to me, only time I every give 50 is a hand shake before the match, even good luck, I dont give it, that's stupid, if he give it of course I take it, but I never give 50"

Also, the lamest thing in bjj is gi 50/50 for advantage wins

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Ryan Hall makes 50/50 look beautiful but I'm with Marcelo on this one, I don't think I will ever focus on giving someone 50%
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    I don't mind it, don't look to play it often, will end up there sometimes though in scrambles or inverted/leg games and have no issue with it and will work from there

I like Marcelo's thoughts on it, will have to watch the vid again, but basically went like this on why he doesn't play 50/50

"I never give 50, it doesn't make sense to me, only time I every give 50 is a hand shake before the match, even good luck, I dont give it, that's stupid, if he give it of course I take it, but I never give 50"

Also, the lamest thing in bjj is gi 50/50 for advantage wins
    Never thought about it like that. Changes my perspective on it a bit.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I think someone else has been saying that a long time as well
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I think someone else has been saying that a long time as well
    Come to think of it......yeah. I believe I have heard it before. LOL. What I took away from it was "it's skill based" so I'm thinking more along the lines of, well if my JJ is better, then I'm good. The rest didn't register until today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast