Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix

coming back after an acl injury

Well guys I'm finishing up my 12th week after surgery, about two and a half months, and I know ive still got a ways to go but I was just wondering if anyone on here has been through an acl injury and how it was coming back to jiu jitsu from it? Mostly I'm just curious is it the same, like are there positions or transitions that Im going to need to avoid or does the knee just work like it did before? I'm sure it just varies from person to person and that ill obviously need to ease my way back in and see what bothers me, but I guess I'm just wanting to know how your experiences were and if things changed or were relatively the same.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    I a had a complete ACL reconstruction surgery last September. I can tell you my experiences in summary and little detail but realize I think my recovery was average to maybe slightly below average. I saw some people walking into their first physical therapy visit after there same surgery where as I was on crutches for about 3-4 weeks and than a cane after that.
    I started out doing technique only with small blue belts and above that I trusted. I had a hard time doing techniques from top due to having to kneel. Rubber guard took at least 6 months to begin and even now is still much weaker. Take down training took about 4-5 months if I recall correctly. Oh and I iced after every practice multiple times. After I stopped PT I noticed that when I went back to lots and lots of air squat type excercises, my knee strength and mobility increased. I still do lots and lots of body weight squat type exercises and continue to see improvement.
    I absolutely had to stay out of other peoples lockdown and took about 5 months to put my own lockdown on. Consequently my open half guard sweeps have gotten tighter. I had to abandon closed guard easily if pressure was applied, but I looked at like a test each time to see how long I could hold it building resistance.
    You mention transitions. I'll say for me, I was careful to not let myself transition quickly into anything because I found that I discovered uncomfortable and potentially dangerous positions through transitions and if I went to quick I may not be able to stop fast enough. I verbally tapped a lot using the "when in doubt, tap out" philosophy.

I hope that helps, if I think of anything else I will come back. I would just say I did a lot of PT, but if I did/do it again, I would do more. I also still do lots of leg strengthening as it was told to me by my doctor and PT that the calf muscle and quad muscle is very key in preventing another injury.
    Good Luck!
    Jigoro Kano → Tsunejiro Tomita → Mitsuyo "Count Koma" Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo → Myself

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    Thanks a bunch Dan I appreciate you sharing with me. It's a tough battle and I'm glad that I could learn some from your experience. I hope you heal up well! Thanks again.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    hang in there Steeyle i had knee surgery too blow out my ACL a few years ago but i bounded back i have 4 screws in my knee holding my new acl together and i do jiu jitsu all the time stay strong brotha