Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    The only way I can beat a bigger guy is if I am technically better than them.

More than that though, I have to keep my eyes open to exploit general technical errors that bigger guys tend to make. For example, big guys tend to over commit with the forearm cross face, which can expose their back once you shuck the arm across. Some large guys will also have a tendency to just bench press you off when they are in bottom side or underneath your mount. I usually miss that opening, but when they bench press me off there is an opening there for a flash arm bar. I always blow it though and get caught in a tug of war for the arm that I never seem to win.

Leg locking big dudes works well for me too, as long as I can actually topple them over on my entry. My two go to standing leg lock entries are a "shitty double leg to single X ankle lock" and "shitty osoto gari to flying ankle lock".

Just my ten cents.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compella View Post
    Leg Locks. That is all.
    Go all Dean Lister on his shit.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Being a bigger guy, the biggest issues I have when rolling with smaller guys is when they play deep half, butterfly guard, or any entry to a leg lock. Watch the little nuances of the MTS where Eddie goes over the JJ series of butterfly sweeps. Deep half can definitely be put in your game with a lot of reps, watch Jeff Glpver, and for leglocks watch anything coach Herzog puts out. Most of all don't be discouraged because you're being out muscled, don't be discouraged you aren't catching the guy. If you can control him and not let him break your guard and pass take that as a victory. If he does pass your guard its only going to help you get your hips back underneath you and continue to strengthen your passing defense. Are you going to ever out smash Him on top, probably not there's something to be said about raw size and strength, but Jiu jitsu is a marathon not a sprint, I know when I roll with the smaller guys I try not to smash them with all my weight, and not to out muscle them just because I can, Just keep on Givin'r

Andrew T

The only thing I have caught really big guys in is rear naked chokes because I wasn't strong or technical enough to hyperextend their limbs. Arm drag to the back from closed guard or just wait until they get tired near the end of the round and then really pour it on is what has worked for me.

Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha
    I'm 5'9" about 160 struggling amongst the corn-fed Nebraska wrestlers at my gym. Everyone there has got me by at least 60 pounds. Let them tire themselves out. I have a sheriff's deputy who wrestled in high school and college that out weighs me by at least 100lbs and I tap that guy like ass on friday night because he's impatient and can't get past my guard. Wait for your opportunities and don't let them fuck with your head. In the end technique beats strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Compella View Post
    Leg Locks. That is all.
    I train gi as a white belt so leg locks are a know for me, same with foot locks... BUT if someone has my back and is crossing their feet Ill go for the foot lock just to show them to not cross their feet. I can't do heel hooks or toe holds either... I got my instructor who's a purple belt in a toe hold (didnt even know what it was but had his foot and thought it would work if i figure foured my arms and bent it the opposite way your foot is suppose to bend) and he tapped but just said that's illegal for you. Same with a twister I got on another white belt. I can understand why white belts aren't allowed to do it... They can really do some damage if they don't know what they're doing.

It's great advice though I'm gonna try and roll with him next class for sure.

Are a no**

Array

School
    Mat Monkey Martial Arts & Fitness
    Try to grapevine his legs he sounds more like a wrestler just breathe stay calm and slowly work towards wrapping up his legs it may take some time but sometimes that's what its all about A BATTLE!

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Chloroform

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts - 10th Planet Peterborough/Troop BJJ
    Don't worry man, it comes with being a beginner and white belt. As Kurzy said, at our club we have some absolute beasts. We spend half our time on the mats getting crushed. All this time spent with higher level guys with serious power can be frustrating initially, but trust that it will pay off in the long run! Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm constantly asking questions when I roll with people about set ups or things I should be doing to prevent what they're doing, tips, etc. When you eventually get the chance to test yourself against people of your size and skill level, you'll see how much of a difference it will make. Suddenly you'll be passing guys like an animal and making dean lister faces if and when they try to slap on submissions. If you can accept the grind and keep and open mind, good things will come in time

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast