Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    American Top Team NY

Grappling Club run by teens??? (NY)

Hey guys,
    I'm 16 and i live in Long Island. I recently started a small grappling club for teenagers at the american top team facility in Franklin square,NY. The purpose originally was so i could have an extra curricular activity for colleges (since i'm one of those honor student kids :P). what we do in this club is that i teach high schooler's who have an interest in learning a martial art (but cant pay a large tuition) or just get bullied at school, various techniques in BJJ. I know i am not the most qualified teacher but i believe i know alot in terms of BJJ as well as mma by learning under top team and just being a fan to both sports. After teaching for two weeks (these seminars only happen once a week) i felt like the guys who came picked up alot. In merely an hour and a half kids that havent even seen the ufc or BJJ were rolling and pulling off Kimuras and rear naked chokes. When i asked them what they thought of the class they say that they loved it. My question to the forum is what can i do to improve the club? How can i spread the word about BJJ? How can i make this more successful? Right now i have made a facebook group and will soon launch a youtube account as well and start posting vids(on this forum). I want you guys to help me improve and hopefully spread the message of MMA and BJJ to my community.

Array

School
    Tim Burrill Jiu Jitsu
    damn i lived on long island for a year or so and i had no idea there was a top team there!
    good luck!

Array

School
    RMNU
    do you charge at all? I've thought of starting a hotbox or something but have not quite figured it out. I live in a college town (U of Alabama) so I'm sure there a lot of poor college kids that maybe can't afford 100 bucks a month but would love to learn.

Array

School
    American Top Team NY
    yea we do charge but its only 10 bucks a week ,just so we can kinda rent out the place for an hour and a half

Array

School
    10th Planet Eugene / Northwest Training Center
    Who was your instructor and what is your belt rank? or are you doing this just more for fun? I am just curios because a teacher asked me at school today what i did for for and i told him about all my martial arts. and he aksed if i would be interetsed in starting a JJ club at the HS and he wanted to learn some stuff...

Array

School
    American Top Team NY
    Well my instructor is David Martucci, he used to be an MMA fighter and then became a coach under Pat Militech. Now he is part of ATT and trains with Marcelo in Manhattan. I think he is a brown belt under marcelo but i could be wrong. My current belt rank is white but Dave tells me that im close to my blue . In terms of it being fun, yes i do enjoy it and find it to be fun but i am serious about helping my "students" learn.

Array

School
    American Top Team NY
    haha yea it used to be the Militech academy but i think they closed it down.

Array

School
    American Top Team NY
    Well my instructor is David Martucci, he used to be an MMA fighter and then became a coach under Pat Militech. Now he is part of ATT and trains with Marcelo in Manhattan. I think he is a brown belt under marcelo but i could be wrong. My current belt rank is white but Dave tells me that im close to my blue . In terms of it being fun, yes i do enjoy it and find it to be fun but i am serious about helping my "students" learn.

Long ago when I first started Martial Arts I walked into a Shotokan studio and told them to teach me. The teacher was an interesting dude he was about 5ft 5 and had a big beer belly. He would get in front of the class and talk about techniques. " You know that side kick there its a good technique." " And let me tell yall something else thats good, that number 2 double cheeseburger meal deal at Mcdonalds I'm having here in a minute". Dude would leave and turn the class over to his 11 year old girl who was a black belt. I got my green belt there and walked on out of the joint. I went from traditional school to traditional school trying to find someone to turn me into Bruce Lee. I didn't realize the importance of Jiu Jitsu because I was so young and immature as a Martial Artist. Whatever I saw in the movies all the flashy kicking and shit was to me the true way of fighting. I don't know anything about writing stories for underdeveloped coast villages from the romantic movement era. I just know there are to many people claiming to be heroes when they truely do not know reality or self expression through the dedication of Martial Arts. I was out hunting ducks one day with my Grandpa and he told m

Array

School
    Delaware Barbell Club & Fitness BJJ
    zoriac , it sounds like an awesome thing you are doing , having a class and teaching teens jiujitsu , most schools are expensive this is why alot of people cannot join , plus with a bad economy and people out of jobs this is why many can't join or continue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast