Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian "ifreez" Freemantle View Post
    Join the club.

It's a long process, friend. Hang in there, the pay off is around the corner, then you'll lose the feeling a success again.

As you learn and progress through the years, this feeling will be continual and perpetual. It never leaves.

Later on throughout your journey, some days you'll control people, even those with years experience with incredible ease. And even some days you weren't swept once, let alone tapped. You leave the gym feeling stoked, searching back alleys for Marcelo Garcia.

Then some days, you wonder if you even in the right sport, cause you couldn't make anything happen at all. One day, you're a soft and sweet like ice cream, the next your as a rusty metal engine that won't even start.

Keep in mind that there is a reason for the bad days that most people forget. You're trying new things without being very good at them. You lose your wits when trying something new.

Plus, when trying new things, concentrating so hard on them, you're neglecting the good habits that you've worked so hard to develop. You'll eventually have to relearn those too. You learn somethings, you neglect others, you relearn those you've forgotten, then you lose some of those other things you've learned since. So, you'll just have to keep reviewing. This might not be the case for most of you, but this has been my experience.

An example of this is like trying to move your feet, knees and hips correctly while playing open guard, concentrating so hard on that, you'll forget to polish, or even use your grips, while last week your grip habits were solid.

The game will eventually become efficient muscle memory; but for now, you're like a senior citizen trying to remember all the details about driving -- when about to crash (not stereotyping seniors, just a useful metaphor).

If you're not tapping, you're not learning, and you'll forever be learning.
    This.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSnowdon View Post
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has come away from a training session feeling really despondant/downbeat? I had my first experience of it today; it was one of those days when I couldn't seem to get a grasp of the moves we were learning, and then I just felt really tired towards the end and couldn't get my act together.

I felt RUBBISH, mainly because I felt like I just wasted the time of the guys I was training with (stuff not sinking in, and so taking away from their own time to try the moves out). Just wondering if other people feel like this at times?

I'm guessin I should just chill out and look for the positives, right? Someone tell me to get a grip please!

*By the way, I'm pretty much a total beginner (been going twice a week for about three months), and the class is MMA but with a heavy focus on no-gi JJ*
    Try ' Slowing Way Down ' Vagarosa, relax, focus on the technique, 123 steps, & put in some reps on your own if you can. make jiujitsu yours.

Array

School
    10th planet phoenix

I came to 10th planet as a brown and i have taken more than my share of hits to the ego since shedding the gi. But looking back since i have started training there have been highs lows and plateus and ive come out of all of them ok ...kinda like life the worst thing to do is stop just keep pushning and know that the heat you are taking is building somthing stronger

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian "ifreez" Freemantle View Post
    Join the club.

It's a long process, friend. Hang in there, the pay off is around the corner, then you'll lose the feeling a success again.

As you learn and progress through the years, this feeling will be continual and perpetual. It never leaves.

Later on throughout your journey, some days you'll control people, even those with years experience with incredible ease. And even some days you weren't swept once, let alone tapped. You leave the gym feeling stoked, searching back alleys for Marcelo Garcia.

Then some days, you wonder if you even in the right sport, cause you couldn't make anything happen at all. One day, you're a soft and sweet like ice cream, the next your as a rusty metal engine that won't even start.

Keep in mind that there is a reason for the bad days that most people forget. You're trying new things without being very good at them. You lose your wits when trying something new.

Plus, when trying new things, concentrating so hard on them, you're neglecting the good habits that you've worked so hard to develop. You'll eventually have to relearn those too. You learn somethings, you neglect others, you relearn those you've forgotten, then you lose some of those other things you've learned since. So, you'll just have to keep reviewing. This might not be the case for most of you, but this has been my experience.

An example of this is like trying to move your feet, knees and hips correctly while playing open guard, concentrating so hard on that, you'll forget to polish, or even use your grips, while last week your grip habits were solid.

The game will eventually become efficient muscle memory; but for now, you're like a senior citizen trying to remember all the details about driving -- when about to crash (not stereotyping seniors, just a useful metaphor).

If you're not tapping, you're not learning, and you'll forever be learning.
    ^^^ Very true...Great response!

Array

School
    Super Gym, Knutsford
    Every single post in this thread since mine has been overwhelmingly positive, and I feel humbled, and a bit sheepish that I was so negative in the first place. Everything that happened to me today was a learning experience, and that's only going to make me better right? Man I can be such a drama queen at times, d'oh!

I love this place!

Array

School
    Chungs Academy -Judo/TKD
    I was watching jiu jitsu clips online a few years back and I had a major attitude adjustment one night watching Eddie watching Ari roll. I think I remember this right --Ari was at the end of his gas tank and whomever he was with had him pinned down in side control. Eddie was standing over him yelling (encouraging) "come on, just get to half guard; at least get to half guard!" It was a break through moment for me.

I had never thought of it that way before that. Before then, I was measuring my success in huge steps. "If I were in side control like that, could I sweep, secure my own pin, and then hit a submission?" Yes, or No. Pass or Fail. -And ultimately all just wrong.

The most minor "half-steps" can be a "major" breakthrough if you see them for what they are. Getting just a noticable bit closer to your ultimate goal is its own success. Every stopping point in your abilities is just that; a point. Wear away the blockage little by little just like water carving mountains -a drop at a time. Once you've made that path, it's your's forever.

Easy come, easy go. You want something special that'll last with you forever? It should be VERY hard to earn.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    I ACTUALLY HAD A WEEK LIKE THIS 2 WEEKS AGO. I COULDNT CATCH ANYONE AND GUYS I USUALLY TAPPED WERE TAPPING ME. I WAS TRAINING 6 DAYS A WEEK AND I THINK I BURNT MYSELF OUT. I TOOK 4 DAYS OFF AND CAME BACK BETTER THAN BEFOE, IT WAS ALMOST EFFORTLESS. hANG IN THERE AND MAYBE TAKE SOME REST IF NEEDED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12