School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

Royce Gracie is the man!

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    Royce Gracie is the man!
    Agreed. I hated when they had him fight Matt Hughes...i felt like it was just this big publicity thing. Royce was old and Hughes was in his prime. It was a shame. I felt like it was some wrestling vs. jiu jitsu match up that was clearly going to be one sided. I dunno, maybe im just looking at it wrong :/

Array

School
    Super Gym, Knutsford
    Takes me right back, couldn't believe what I was seeing; Royce is a legend for sure. I think one of the saddest things I saw (worse than Hughes beating him) was the Shamrock vs Gracie superfight (in UFC IV? Not too sure). Basically they were on the ground for a heck of a long time, and Shamrock hadn't done any damage at all - or even looked to do any as far as I remember. Then it got stood up, I think because they ran out of time but didn't want to end on a draw. I remember Royce looking confused; was the fight over? What was going on?

Next thing, Shamrock lands a big shot on Royce and busts his eye up, but still doesn't drop him/finish him. It was called a draw and all of a sudden Shamrock and his entourage were celebrating like crazy as if he'd won. Just made my heart sink really, Shamrock hadn't really proved anything, the only big damage he did was because the rules had been changed there and then, to help him get the upper hand, and that was the last time we saw a prime Royce Gracie in the UFC.

After that (or in and around the same time) the UFC got really freak-show-esque...............John Hess anyone?

Array

School
    Electric City MMA
    Thank you Royce. Not just for the UFC but more for getting all of us addicted to jiu jitsu!!!

Dustin C.

great vid thx

Array

School
    Sjårdalen mma
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Lou View Post
    Agreed. I hated when they had him fight Matt Hughes...i felt like it was just this big publicity thing. Royce was old and Hughes was in his prime. It was a shame. I felt like it was some wrestling vs. jiu jitsu match up that was clearly going to be one sided. I dunno, maybe im just looking at it wrong :/
    Kinda finished him with BJJ

Array

School
    Sjårdalen mma
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSnowdon View Post
    Takes me right back, couldn't believe what I was seeing; Royce is a legend for sure. I think one of the saddest things I saw (worse than Hughes beating him) was the Shamrock vs Gracie superfight (in UFC IV? Not too sure). Basically they were on the ground for a heck of a long time, and Shamrock hadn't done any damage at all - or even looked to do any as far as I remember. Then it got stood up, I think because they ran out of time but didn't want to end on a draw. I remember Royce looking confused; was the fight over? What was going on?

Next thing, Shamrock lands a big shot on Royce and busts his eye up, but still doesn't drop him/finish him. It was called a draw and all of a sudden Shamrock and his entourage were celebrating like crazy as if he'd won. Just made my heart sink really, Shamrock hadn't really proved anything, the only big damage he did was because the rules had been changed there and then, to help him get the upper hand, and that was the last time we saw a prime Royce Gracie in the UFC.

After that (or in and around the same time) the UFC got really freak-show-esque...............John Hess anyone?
    Wouldnt you celebrate survining Royce for that long ? :P I know I would

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by nabbflax View Post
    Kinda finished him with BJJ
    By throwing awkward farm boy punches to the back of his head until the ref stopped it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast