Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    lost

better to do mission control from your side?

I saw Epstein teaching mission control from his side rather then flat on his back, what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it this way?

Epstein is really good at helping bigger guys do RG. By hipping out on your side a little big it can help you create space to use your RG more effectively if you lack some flexibility.

Array

School
    lost
    So if you're flexible enough is it best to do mission control flat on your back?

Array

School
    None
    I'm going to, as a white belt with no real experience, throw in my two cents, so take that as you want to.

It depends. I know, that sounds kind of like a pussy-out answer, but from what I can tell, it really does. If, at the end of the path, you wanted to say, set up an omoplata via Kung Fu move, then playing on your side will make that happen better. It aids your flexibility, and gets you closer to pulling the leg out. I'd say for the majority of the basic RG path, on your side can only help you, and not hurt you. However, if you're playing the double bagger options, the entire idea (from what I've gathered) is to keep the guy square with you; that opens up the end options of slipping the foot under the armpit and going for all the subs it offers. Being squared up, and therefore on your back, seems to work fine if you're locking the guy to you with double bagger and going for subs (since the entire idea of double bagger is to prevent exploding and rolling out, stay square, and force the submission). However, if you want to branch out to an omoplata and just play the basic path, ending with the sub or controlling the roll, it seems to be best to play up on your side a bit.

If any of that is wrong, PLEASE correct me, I could learn something from that. However, best I can tell from playing it and studying it like a mother fucker, those are the pros and cons to playing side vs. back.

Array

School
    Sjårdalen mma
    If you are super flexible play it off ur stomache :P

Array

School
    lost
    Quote Originally Posted by nabbflax View Post
    If you are super flexible play it off ur stomache :P
    Oh is that why eddie has me doing 6 sets of butt clinches 3 times a week.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    See I prefer mission control on my side and I'm not a big guy and I now have decent flexibility. The only positions I'm really flat on my back is crackhead and invisible collar.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    Study Sean Bollinger!!! Eddie said himself that Sean was the best rubber guard player...

Array

School
    10th Planet
    i never thought if it from the side.

usually when i get someone in mission control, ill struggle to get new york if they are really strong. i do my best to reach up and grab their heads and get as high and tight as i can with my RG but some mofos have retard strength. i can see how doing mission control from side would help out. maybe thats a class someone on MTS can give next episode if its not too late to squeeze it in.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    A little scoot to the side will make everything easier. Note, if you are looking to pump, then being a bit too much on the side will not help.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast