Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    Imaginary 10th Planet Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    In Australia you guys say "touch wood"? In the states we say "knock on wood"

I find those little differences hilarious.
    We actually say both.

Its hard to compare Australia to the US because of massive cultural differences and I guess overall attitudes.

Just because it works here, doesnt mean it will work there, so to speak. It also doesnt mean that it isnt worth trying either.

Criminals will always find a way to get their hands on guns, they still do here too but its more the nut jobs who get restricted because they arent readily available, especially to just your average joe.

I think that Gun restrictions would reduce the amount of these massacres in the US, but it wouldnt stop them altogether either.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    The US has about 9 times as many gun related deaths per capita than Australia. Ether we have more crazy assholes or the crazy assholes in Australia have a harder time getting guns.

Knife related deaths are three times higher in the US than in Australia.
    What are knife laws like in Australia?

Array

School
    Imaginary 10th Planet Sydney
    The US has about 9 times as many gun related deaths per capita than Australia. Ether we have more crazy assholes or the crazy assholes in Australia have a harder time getting guns.

You arent allowed to walk around with a knife, I know that much...whether its concealed, for personal protection or whatever.

You have to show cause for anything that could be used as a weapon...pretty sure someone was telling me you can get pinged for carrying a baseball bat around with you if you dont play baseball, or have no real reason to be carrying one ie: no glove andball plus other people to play with (Or unless you are apart of a Baseball Furries/Warriors reanactment). Otherwise it is considered carrying a weapon....Not that you hear about many people getting pulled up over it, more of a technicality law from what I understand.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    In the US you can't carry a knife with a blade longer than 3", even if you have a CCW. I find it funny that you can get a permit to carry a gun, but not to carry anything larger than a pocket knife. I guess if you need a sword on your person, you probably have malicious intent

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    In the US you can't carry a knife with a blade longer than 3", even if you have a CCW. I find it funny that you can get a permit to carry a gun, but not to carry anything larger than a pocket knife. I guess if you need a sword on your person, you probably have malicious intent
    In California we can open carry fixed blade knifes on the hip with the handle showing with no length limit. Folders also have no limit and can be concealed in the folded position.

On college campuses and public buildings, no fixed blades and folders are limited to 4"
    Other schools limit is 2.5 inches.

I carry a 3.5 inch every where I go and a fixed blade about 5.5 often, lots of guys here carry fixed blades. My Calculus teacher this semester wore a folder and shes a young woman.
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 12-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I was going off NV law, I am surprised Cali is that lenient since you can't carry anything that even resembles a switch blade.

Only thing I carry is a fancy ass razor/box cutter and that's purely for utilitarian purposes

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I was going off NV law, I am surprised Cali is that lenient since you can't carry anything that even resembles a switch blade.

Only thing I carry is a fancy ass razor/box cutter and that's purely for utilitarian purposes
    We can carry assisted opening knives with torsion bars if they are thumb opened, but no spring assisted and no stilettos (where the blade comes straight out the handle instead of folding open) Also no bailsong aka buterfly knifes and no dirks or daggers of any kind.

People often dont realize that California is over 800 miles north to south and Northern California is a HUGH rural area. A lot of the work we do requires knifes as tools and fixed blades are better tools outdoors because they cant get full of dirt and sand, and you never worry about them closing on you when your using them on tough jobs. SoCal is like a whole different State.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

Every household has a knife. So, why are there less knife related deaths? It has less to do with the instrument and more to do with the people. First, we have a higher populations. But also, Americans really are crazier bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Spínola View Post
    Cars are a tool for transportation, guns are a tool for killing. They are not equivalent, you must see this. It's not a fair comparison. Cars are essential to our daily life's, guns are not.
    Guns are a tool for defense. Cars are a tool for transportation, but people use them to kill maliciously. Guns are a tool for defense but people use them maliciously. It's not a fair comparison of functions, but it is a fair comparison. And sure, for many, guns are not a part of our daily lives. They weren't a part of the founding father's daily lives either...until one day they were. And had they not had their rifles, we wouldn't have our country. They knew how important it was to have citizens ready to defend themselves. So they made sure that the 2nd amendment....emphasis on 2nd amendment...meaning the number one is the most important...and the 2nd most important right for a free country is the right to bear arms. So, they're not a daily necessity now, but one day they might be.

Do you think we should be allowed to have RPGs and stuff? If you think of the original intent of the amendment we should be able to have whatever we need to stay on par with the government.
    Cute. But no. The original intent was to allow men the right to bear arms. In historical context the amendment didn't say we have the right to bear cannons. Put that into today's context and an RPG would be similar to a cannon. The amendment gives us the right to bear self defense weapons. Not major offensive weapons.

People really need to stop blaming the gun and start blaming the killer. When IED's go off, people blame terrorists, not shrapnel. In stabbings people don't call for knife bans.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    These are my suggestions on how gun control should work.

1. Mandatory semi-annual Mental health screening: Those responsible for these tragic shootings are not responsible citizens. They are people with mental health issues. An effort must be made to keep these weapons out of the hands of the mentally ill.

2. Mandatory written test and firearms training with final assessment: You need to pass a written test and road test for your drivers license. Why? Because cars are dangerous. We need to make sure that you know how to drive properly before you get out on the road. Most gun accidents are the result of ignorance. At the very least, a written test, training, and final performance assessment would ensure that you know proper firearms safety, use, maintenance, self defense laws, and know how to properly use the firearm. This should be done BEFORE a person is even allowed to purchase a firearm.

3. Criminal Background check: History of violence? Rejected. History of drug and/or alcohol abuse? Rejected. Simple.

4. Mandatory participation in local militia for anyone interested in owning an assault rifle: The purpose of the 2nd amendment isn’t so much about the right to own cool toys. It’s about the right to own guns for the purpose of defense. In historical context, the idea was about national defense. I believe that we should get back to the historical purpose of this amendment. Anyone who wants an assault rifle should also go through additional paramilitary training. They should also be mandated to join a local state approved militia.

I understand guns are dangerous. But as a citizen, I understand the role they played in the founding of this country, and the potential role they'll have in preserving this country. The US is no longer seen as bulletproof. If we ever hit economic collapse (which is still a possibility), a foreign invasion on our weakened country may not be totally out of the question. Or civil war. Or just a period of anarchy. While I have no desire to go on a shooting spree, I do want to have the tools to defend my family if need be. The forefathers understood this. And this is why we shouldn't tamper with restricting guns. Instead we should focus on educating and training gun owners.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Every household has a knife. So, why are there less knife related deaths? It has less to do with the instrument and more to do with the people. First, we have a higher populations. But also, Americans really are crazier bro.

Guns are a tool for defense. Cars are a tool for transportation, but people use them to kill maliciously. Guns are a tool for defense but people use them maliciously. It's not a fair comparison of functions, but it is a fair comparison. And sure, for many, guns are not a part of our daily lives. They weren't a part of the founding father's daily lives either...until one day they were. And had they not had their rifles, we wouldn't have our country. They knew how important it was to have citizens ready to defend themselves. So they made sure that the 2nd amendment....emphasis on 2nd amendment...meaning the number one is the most important...and the 2nd most important right for a free country is the right to bear arms. So, they're not a daily necessity now, but one day they might be.

Cute. But no. The original intent was to allow men the right to bear arms. In historical context the amendment didn't say we have the right to bear cannons. Put that into today's context and an RPG would be similar to a cannon. The amendment gives us the right to bear self defense weapons. Not major offensive weapons.

People really need to stop blaming the gun and start blaming the killer. When IED's go off, people blame terrorists, not shrapnel. In stabbings people don't call for knife bans.
    the numbers I posted are per capita so higher populations is not a factor statistically.

The right to bear arms was seen as necessary because citizens need the ability to fight the government if it became oppressive. "Arms" is not defined strictly as guns so I think back then you could have cannons. Your wrong about the intent being to allow self defense weapons. I dont know how long its been since you took history but this is right off of wikipepdia,

In no particular order, early American settlers viewed the right to arms and/or the right to bear arms and/or state militias as important for one or more of these purposes:[25][26][27][28][29][30][31][32]
    deterring tyrannical government;
    repelling invasion;
    suppressing insurrection;
    facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
    participating in law enforcement;
    enabling the people to organize a militia system.

Before addressing the verbs “keep” and “bear,” we interpret their object: “Arms.” The term was applied, then as now, to weapons that were not specifically designed for military use and were not employed in a military capacity. Thus, the most natural reading of “keep Arms” in the Second Amendment is to “have weapons.” At the time of the founding, as now, to “bear” meant to “carry.” In numerous instances, “bear arms” was unambiguously used to refer to the carrying of weapons outside of an organized militia. Nine state constitutional provisions written in the 18th century or the first two decades of the 19th, which enshrined a right of citizens “bear arms in defense of themselves and the state”

I don't feel anyone is blaming gun laws in the sense that you would blame a person for their actions but knowing that people do go nuts sometimes should we have these things around? In term of the car analogy, I feel a non-auto shotgun or hunting rifle would be akin to a car and a handgun or auto would be like a car with spikes all over it and provisions that make it specifically more able to kill humans.

The supreme court in a a split derision decided "arms" meant weapon not specifically designed for military use but at the time of the drafting civilian rifles and military rifles were the same, No? None of the original language makes sense if we cant bear arms adequate to defend against a military force.
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 12-16-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast