Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin

Naga World Championship / cutting weight in kids div

So we just got back home from Naga World Championship, this is the first time we ever travel out of town to compete. Since we been in the sport for only 2 years and this is our first and only year of competition so far, I wasn't aware of many things about this sport. Well I had a shocker today about this sport. My daughter, Cora walks around 62 lbs and she fights at 62 lbs. But today I found out that kids in this sports cut weights. I haven't heard anything like this at all until today. I just thought that only professional adults in MMA and boxing do that. But never in my wildest dream that kids would go that far to win a tournament. 2 case come to mind, 1st there is a boy that my daughter compete with before a few times and back then he weighs 66 lbs cus I read his fight card...LOL , when I met him and ask what division he's in, his parent told me he is in the expert 50-59 lbs division . I was shocked!!! They told me he trained hard on Friday and didn't eat or drink much on Sat when he weighs in. I was so looking forward to see him going against Cora again. But due to this, that didn't happen. Another case was about the kid that beat Cora in the Finals for both Gi and NO Gi. He was obviously a bigger boy, and taller. His dad was a cool guy cus we talk after everyone of their matches. He said that his son walks around 75 lb or more, but for this competition, he cut weights to 69 lb. By Sunday comes around, he rehydrated back to that 75 lbs or more and just over power Cora. He was so stronger than her that she wasn't able to break his posture for the rubber guard. Also he's been doing this a lot longer than her since he is an orange/green belt. I don't mind the experience he has on her at all cus I know that when Cora break a kid posture and go into her Rubber Guard, its a done deal. But with him being so much bigger and stronger, this didn't happen. Well it did in the Gi, but the ref screwed up and pull them into the middle of the mat and didn't give her the same position. So needless to say, it was hard for her to break his posture again. Vids of all this is coming..........So do parents make their kids cut weights like this just to win a competition???? Sorry if i'm being very naive about this.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Wow. I guess I'm naive too. Personally I'd rather have my kid roll with a record of losses than cut weight at such a young age. I'm no expert, but I don't think that's healthy. Don't stress man. Kid's records don't mean too much. The experience is what she's really earning. And if she gets used to dealing with heavier stronger kids, it'll only make her better.

Array

School
    OH no...don't get me wrong...i'm not stress this at all, but just shocked that this is taking place in the kids division. I really don't care if she looses, I just want her to fight the best kids out there to see if all our hard work is actually working. Also I'm collecting data on what is out there so we can work even harder next time. When she basically able to tap out all the kids in the Houston area, we ventured out to this event hoping to find a kid that can show her the next level of training. If I care about gold metals or records, I would have her sandbag for as long as she can and let her kill the intermediate kids, instead of bumpping her to the expert division where all the other kids have 4-5 years experience vs her 2 years.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    There is no reason to have kids cutting weight, that is ridiculous it could do serious kidney damage or internal damage. Ignorant ass parents that make their kids cut 6-9 lbs. and wonder why they get shingles and electrolyte difficienties all to win regional bullshit. Let them roll and learn to deal with bigger kids and their technique will improve drastically.

Array

School
    this is just what I learn today...maybe I will learn other things like this about this sport as we progress into it more.

Array

School
    10th Planet Sherman
    It's a wrestling thing, to be the strongest in the class. Most of the jiu jitsu kids i know don't cut at all. They don't care about being strong, it's all about that technique. \m/ haha

Array

School
    Sunbury Jiu Jitsu
    Kids cutting weight (especially at 9 years old) seems extreme to me?

Array

School
    Spartan Club Ireland
    I hold competitions in my gym for wrestling and bjj, I use the madison system to match kids up to stop this kind of messing. Basicly no weight classes are given out beforehand and kids are matched by experience, weight and age. It hasn't let me down yet

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    At that age I wouldnt call it cutting weight. Their metabolisms are so fast they only have to cut some meals in half and theyll lose weight the day or two before. I dont see anything wrong with it

It is extreme, just let them have fun and food!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast