Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Sometimes you can't stop a wrestler's takedown. just roll with it though.
    Many times you are gonna be outsized by your opponent but you'll learn to deal with them with more reps on the mat. The tournament is not the recommended place to see how you do against bigger opponents. In the gym, try going with much bigger people. You'll be overwhelmed at first because of their strength, but you'll eventually see the pattern.
    Last edited by Slick Rick; 12-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Cora roll with boys that are much bigger than her all the time. They weighs between 80-100 lbs. THe boys in the gym that are her size really don't want to go against her anymore cus she will make them look bad in front of their parent. The only ones that can put up a fight with her now are the bigger boys. And yes, you guys are right...tournament kids moves a lot faster than in the gym. Now we have to train for time instead of rolling around 5-10 min. So now instead of a long distance run, we will be focusing on sprints per say. We now have a higher goal.... Kids Pan AM. A lot of coaches saw what she can do and they start talking about Kids Pan AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    I would suggest doing more of the local tournaments until Cora gets good at controlling much stronger opponents. I don't think her technique is to a point to be going up against BOYS that outweigh her by that much. If this is what she wants, you may want to make sure she's not setting herself for disaster.
    Good thing about jiu jitsu and her age, is that she has time on her side. Cora and father: please enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Cora roll with boys that are much bigger than her all the time. They weighs between 80-100 lbs. THe boys in the gym that are her size really don't want to go against her anymore cus she will make them look bad in front of their parent. The only ones that can put up a fight with her now are the bigger boys. And yes, you guys are right...tournament kids moves a lot faster than in the gym. Now we have to train for time instead of rolling around 5-10 min. So now instead of a long distance run, we will be focusing on sprints per say. We now have a higher goal.... Kids Pan AM. A lot of coaches saw what she can do and they start talking about Kids Pan AM.

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    Beautiful work. "There is no losing. There is only learning."

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Nice!

Array

School
    Slick Rick: brother I like your name..very catchy....anyways since we started competing in June 2012, Cora has done everyone of the local tournament, one every month. She came from the beginnner division and progress up to the expert division in just 6 short months. And every lost she have during that time, she has avenged it already. During her rise to the top, she has been tapped out only once and the other lost was only by points because we didn't understand the game yet. But since then, she have tapped out everyone of those boys that beat her and then some. For kids in her division, the ones that goes to tournaments as often as we do, she have completely passed them up in skill. This is why we bumped her up to expert division and traveling far to compete. Her results at the gym is the same, she come from the bottom of the class as a white belt to now one of the top kid in the gym. She is the only kid at the gym that compete every month when there is a tournament. Any boys her size or a little bigger than her have no chance when rolling with her, no matter what belt they are. Her only competition now are the bigger kids that out weighs her by 30-40 lbs. They are so much bigger and stronger that they can withstand her techniques. But yet they can't tap her out either. So they are good partners for her to learn her control. Please don't get me wrong...we both are loving this journey. It has become our lifestyle, there isn't a day that gone by that we don't think about JJ and find ways to take her training to the next level.

nice job with the mission control from body triangle, haven't tried that before. there are a couple of kids i work with that should see this, inspirational.

on what to do with the second no gi match. i can remember feeling like that with people passing my guard. personally i feel like i improved my guard retention and recovery once i drilled a good amount of jailbreaks, butterfly guard and lockdown game. it looked like cora went for the lockdown near the end but didn't do much prior to keep her knees in like in butterfly guard and when mounted before just went for bridge and rolls.

she is doing great things and should be proud. this is definitely about the journey.
    Last edited by Alex Canders; 12-18-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    I'm a GIANT Cora fan now, I wanna see more!
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Alex: thanks for the advice. We wil be working hard on her guard believe me. Before her final no gi match, I always thought that Cora's guard was very good for kids her size and skill level because she is always able to keep them there. I always tell her that when she have someone in her guard, it has got to lead to a submission and so far that is the case. Until this match, credit to the boy, he knows his stuff as well and with him being so much stronger, he was able to stay out of her guard. She tried hard to fight for the guard, but it wasn't to be. Yes we will work on that even harder now. I have no idea what a lockdown is, but we will be working on that butterfly guard as well. THis is why I love this site, its the friends like you who loves JJ so much and are willing to help a newbie like us. Cora wants to compete on the highest stage possible for kids and with that she is willing to work hard. THat is why I'm searching for outside instruction to add on what is being taught in her gym. thank you for your support.

Array

School
    Master Eddie Bravo:
    wow we finally got your attention.. First of all I just want to thank you for taking the time to view this thread. And thank you for creating this beautiful system. You are a genious. I really mean it. I'm sure you probably hear this a lot but here it is one more time. Your system fits my daughter's ability so much its like you made it for her. Before kids and coaches always know that she have a killer triangle from the spider guard, but she can only do so much spider guard on them until they figure it out. So one by one they start to build an immunity toward it. I then search all over the internet to find another way for her to succeed in this sport. I always believe that in order to be better than the rest, she have to train harder and be ahead of her peers. So I search and search and found YOU. I found the RUBBER GUARD. I'm no BJJ expert, but I know a great system when I see one. So I search every end of the internet for anything that is related to You and your Rubber Guard. From day one we start working on it.....and by day 5 Cora was able to use the Rubber Guard to set up her killer triangle and won a local tournament. I can go on and on about how this change our game and Cora love for the sport even more, but I won't take much more of your time. All I want you to know is that you will not find any other kid that is rocking your system as hard as Cora and she's only been doing JJ 2 years and playing with the rubber guard for only 7 wks. THe other day, she told me that her 2 fighing idols are Bruce Lee and YOU..... Can you believe that???? I was shocked!!!!

btw here is a vid of her reppresenting the system. THis is after 5 days of working on the rubber guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHsZS1hFLM

here is another one that she use the rubber guard to break the other kids spirit.....like in one of your vid...you say to use the rubber guard to make the other person feel like that can't do "shit"....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vASvcSnnCi4

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast