Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    Awesome job. Sorry I missed you guys. If you PM me your address, I'll send Cora the shirt I took to Dallas for her.
    Like us at www.Facebook.com/10thplanetphoenix
    Like me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/johnbotello
    Follow us on Twitter @10thplanetphx
    Follow me on Twitter @johnbotello

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Hey John, we were walking around looking for you. But there were just so many people. We were hoping you would find us instead as you know where we would be at. Ok I will Pm you my address as Cora was so excite to walk around in your 10thplanet t shirt. BTW she turns 10 yesterday and this can be a bday surprise for her... thank you

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Slick Rick: brother I like your name..very catchy....anyways since we started competing in June 2012, Cora has done everyone of the local tournament, one every month. She came from the beginnner division and progress up to the expert division in just 6 short months. And every lost she have during that time, she has avenged it already. During her rise to the top, she has been tapped out only once and the other lost was only by points because we didn't understand the game yet. But since then, she have tapped out everyone of those boys that beat her and then some. For kids in her division, the ones that goes to tournaments as often as we do, she have completely passed them up in skill. This is why we bumped her up to expert division and traveling far to compete. Her results at the gym is the same, she come from the bottom of the class as a white belt to now one of the top kid in the gym. She is the only kid at the gym that compete every month when there is a tournament. Any boys her size or a little bigger than her have no chance when rolling with her, no matter what belt they are. Her only competition now are the bigger kids that out weighs her by 30-40 lbs. They are so much bigger and stronger that they can withstand her techniques. But yet they can't tap her out either. So they are good partners for her to learn her control. Please don't get me wrong...we both are loving this journey. It has become our lifestyle, there isn't a day that gone by that we don't think about JJ and find ways to take her training to the next level.
    Thats great to hear. Just want to reiterate that Cora is gonna lose before she wins with any technique. It's so awesome you got video of her from the beginning. Seeing the progression and working on mistakes caught from footage is the best.
    So the reason why she is losing at top competition is because the guys are much bigger than her. This is the problem you really have to address. The answer comes from the technique. She's doing or not doing certain things. She will learn by reps on the mat and/or getting guidance from us here on the forum, or meeting up with 10p'rs in your local area.
    I'll do my best to chime in on where I can. I'm sure the others will as well.
    Awesome job again, and tell Cora keep her head up because she's doing well. I wish I had parents like you when I was a young one. They put me in karate. lol!

Array

School
    Eugene MMA
    As has been stated her first match was awesome. Great control and patience. As for her second match, it seemed like it was definitely her half guard game (the lockdown) that could have save her. Multiple times she would get one leg and try and get the other but the kid just came out. If she had good lockdown game she'd easily be able to sweep him and work him from the top, even pulling him back in if she really wanted to do her rubber guard. She's looking awesome though. Can't wait to see more.

Array

School
    Rick: sorry if I mislead you and the gang here, this is Cora's 1st real lost via tap out since her very 1st tournament 6 months ago. Ever since we got the first one out of the way, and yes she got RNC in her very 1st match of her very 1st tournament...LOL But since then she has returned the favor to that boy.. and then some. Lose first, win later is our training theme, so I truly agree with you on that. She is still getting tap out here and there by the bigger boys in the gym, but that is ok though. Because if they were the same size as her, they won't be able to do that. But they are on our hit list and we will be taking them down one at a time... Every night we go to the gym, it is mandatory that I have my video camera with me. I record all of her sparring matches and when we get home, we watch it to learn what she is doing right and wrong so we can fix it for the next day. I think we changed the culture of the gym because before it was just me and now i see more and more parents recording their kids. And some even apply my bounty system and points/ reward system. I also share with them what i'm doing at home with Cora so they might do it for their kids as well. Hey if their kids get better, they will help Cora get even better.....so its win win. To get to the next level, she need good sparring partners, not ones that she can run over easily.

Looking at her finals matches, we will be working on breaking posture for sure and also guard retention this whole week. I will put her against the big boys all week and see if she improve by the end of this week. I know there are many more aspect to her game that needs improving, but this is the most immediate.

by the way, we started out looking for a karate place to put her in, but when we got there, it looks like we were going to get jumped in the parking lot so we didn't go that route... Came home and google bjj, and her current school had posted a vid of a girl tapping out a boy with a triangle. Her eyes glows as she watched the vid. The rest is history. Strange enough that vid was about 4 years old and it took place at the same spot where Cora just compete at.... Little did I know that in 2 short years she is the one putting on that deadly triangle... I'm no special dad, i'm just a dad that wants to spend as much time with his daughter as possible now because in a few years, she will be interested in boy and have more attitude and all that BS that comes along with it...... feel my pain??? not looking forward to those years.

Array

School
    Ok guys, I have not run into a vid about this lockdown? what is it? any vid you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'm very visual and can learn fast and will be able to transfer it to Cora. Thanks

Array

School
    Ronin

This is just how to do it, no transistions or anything.

Array

School
    10th Planet Denver
    So sick! Way to hang on at the end when the scramble got intense!

Array

School
    C. J. = thank you for the vid. I remember coming across this vid a long time ago, but didn't know what it was. But now its does make a lot of sense. I think this will greatly help my daughter to prevent a bigger kid passing her guard. So what are some of the transitions from this lockdown other than just to prevent a pass? thanks again... Bruce

Array

School
    Eugene MMA
    I think your best bet, if you have no one to teach you the moves, would be to buy the Mastering the Rubber Guard DVD and maybe buy the Mastering the Rubber Guard book. Even Jiu-jistu Unleashed would have some stuff, but the first two would be the most comprehensive in print. Lots of good stuff on these.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast