Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin

Physical training advice

ok so for the past year i been real serious about weight loss and have had great losses so far. I'm at the point though were i really wanna turn it up. I want to start building muscle as well as lose weight. Couple things i'm concerned about is most typical weight lifting routines are geared more towards building lost of mass and in return i have been told you can lose flexibility which is deff what i dont wanna do. I also know that workouts for losing weight and gaining muscle are different so what are good overall workouts for both? I deff want to keep losing weight my goal is another 40lbs and walk around 215-225 and want to be able to keep up with most people on a strength level. I want a lean body shape not a i'm 225 and have huge biceps kinda size. Also what supplements do you guys take that you feel actually work. As of now i just run with a mens multi vitamin-fish oil-and a cinnamon pill every morning.

All advice i have received so far has been from my cousin who is a sports medicine major out of CMU but hes geared for strong man competitions so much of his experience is not geared for mma/bjj and he knows this and has told me to try to consult some other people in the this world

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    You need a functional fitness program, you do not need static strength, and can oftern lead to injuries. Crossfit programs are generally the way to go unless you have access to another funtional fitness program.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    gonna have to start diggin into a good cross fit routine see what i can find thanks Coach Herzog also when i say i want to be strong i mean on a level where i can just not get out muscled currently i train with some 185lb'rs that can just muscle me around. My goal is to walk 215 or so and make cuts to 205 for comps/fights so i know there is obvouisly always gonna be stronger people out there i just dont want to be overly weak at any weight class but over all just to be healthy is the main objective

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Body weight excersizes, kettle bells, battle ropes, med balls, etc. are the way to go. You want "GO" muscles , not "show" muscles!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Body weight excersizes, kettle bells, battle ropes, med balls, etc. are the way to go. You want "GO" muscles , not "show" muscles!
    This.

Work up to being able to do one arm pushups, one leg squats, one arm pull ups, standing to standing bridges and hanging straight leg raises. There is a good DVD called convict conditioning by Paul Wade, they break each one of those category of exercises into 10 moves that lead up to being able to do the hardest variations. So you would start with standing wall pushups and level 5 is normal pushups then you progress up to level 10 one arm pushups.

I also do kettlebells and olympic lifting. I'm 150 and I'm stronger then some 200lb guys at my gym because they did lots of isolation exercises working there glamour muscle groups to get to that weight.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    The more food you eat, the easier it is to gain muscle and strength. Obviously that's counter productive to losing fat. You gotta make sure that the little food you do eat is giving you all the protein and nutrients that you need.

He's right about the importance of functional strength. I've been out muscled by people I can out lift.

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    Work with a good kbell instructor, and start out easy. You can get crazy strong will bells and ropes with a little body weight added in.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I highly recommend Crossfit. Im biased cause my gym houses Crossfit Nibiru. I have been involved with Crossfit for a few years. Firstr and hardest thing to get on Point is your diet. That is the most under estimated part of the transformation. Next is support structure. Not just gym support, support everywhere(family, work, gym). Start off slow and embrace the journey it will be a process. One of my guys started with me at 250 and no walks around 195. Set many manageable goals instead of one big one. Cardio Cardio Cardio plus Crossfit. Panda used to be something like 3 bills and now walks around 200. XI Mirron is his facebook and he posts most of his daily workouts on there. A good place to start.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    Ronin
    I'm currently making the transition from a 224 pound power lifter to a 188 pound Jiu Jitsu player. I am using carb backloading and the occasion "re-feed" to keep my strength up while cutting.

I'm at 198 now, and with 2 months in I've lost very little strength (less than 15 pounds off of any of the big three lifts), and I credit that to simply demanding that my body maintains its muscle mass through constant demand. I work heavy triples and singles in all my primary lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, weighted pull ups, rows, and over head press) at least twice a week, and I use Crossfit-ish circuit training for the rest of my weight room time.

I'm lifting 6 days a week, training 10thPJJ 4 times a week.

My typical weight day will look something like this:
    Overhead press 8 reps at 30% of 1repmax, 8 reps at 50%, 5 reps at 75%, 3 reps at 85%, and 1 rep at 95%
    Bench 10 sets of 3 reps at 85%
    Circuit: power snatch from blocks, ring Hindu push ups, ring "L-sit" pull ups, Viking swing press, battle ropes, and farmer's walks

Each day has a strength phase and a conditioning phase. (Tuesday is squat and dead then conditioning, Wednesday is back and traps then conditioning, and then I repeat the three days, but reverse the order and set/rep schemes for the strength lifts)

The diet is the hardest part. I am logging everything, and not just quantitatively, but qualitatively: how the food choices effect my mood, energy level and effectiveness in my work, workouts and life.

Good luck brother, and if I can offer any advice or support, just let me know.

(oh, and be ready for how much HEAVIER the heavyweights feel when you drop the weight )

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    This is all I do now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast