Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Techniques are good to watch for a beginner ?

I am really new to Bjj. A friend introduced me to the art. I have fallen in love with it. What Technique videos are good to watch for a beginner ? Or am I jumping the gun on these techniques, being they are advanced, and need to develop a foundation of knowledge that isn't displayed in these technique videos ? Thanks ahead of time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Well you can buy eddies books and dvds, and marcelo garcias, and ryan halls and lots of others. they are all really good. but finding yourself a moon (affiliate of 10th planet) or a hotbox (smaller version of moon) will be the best way to get your bjj going. practice, put in the time and effort and youll do fine.

what im trying to say is Ive found the technique guides really good and sure always try to learn mroe things but you really wanna perfect the basics. good balance, good flexibility, good base, good squeeze. once you have those things down, youll notice everything gets a lot easier.

practice your submissions that are necessary to your game as well. armbars, RNC, kimura/ americana, guillotine. and then after you have those and you understand the game a lot better then u can start playing with mono control and gangsta lean and getting into the truck a bit more. things like that.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Practice shrimping, train your hips, get them moving and work on balance and flexibility too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    IMO controlling and escaping the deadzones and sub escapes.

If you can mount someone so dominantly they can't move it becomes very easy to submit them.

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    I'm fairly new myself, but I do have some advice from my experience so far. Learn all the positions, top and bottom first. Once you understand these, start learning a couple escapes and transitions for each position. Then, learn a couple subs for each position. Once you understand this basic stuff, all the cool videos, books etc will start to make much more sense. I know I go crazy with books, techniques etc, but once I was taught to break things down like this it's made learning much easier. There's so much to learn in jiu jitsu, which is what makes it so awesome. Definitely get to some classes if your not already.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts - 10th Planet Peterborough/Troop BJJ
    Work on the basics. Posturing, recovering your guard and working for simple sweeps and submissions, half guard, passing, simple submissions, etc. I'm also a white belt myself, but I've found focusing on the basics in my own time, coupled with my instructor and team's guidance has helped me improve much quicker than I ever expected after my first week of training. Mindset it key too. Having and open mindset with your jiujitsu, and training with good people, asking as many questions as you can really helps. If you can watch Master Eddie's halfguard game (lockdown and all his sweeps, etc), I found that helped me the most in finding something I could go to that was simple and effective to base my game around. It's my bread and butter now, and despite the general simplicity with how he teaches it, its incredibly effective for me against opponents. Also, I've found watching Marcelo Garcia videos too are really awesome and helpful because he has a very simple game generally that anyone can watch and try to learn and develop overtime without getting overwhelmed.

this is not a video but it has helped me a lot even though i'm still a beginner. it's an e-book by stephan kesting containing overviews of the different positions in bjj and what techniques need emphasis if one is to start practicing the art.

www.beginningbjj.com/BJJ%20Roadmap%201.3.pdf

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Basic rg path, lockdown half (jaws of life, whip up, old school, plan B), back mount side control and mount escapes, basic butterfly guard sweeps (elevator sweep) and how to tap quick and frequently

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I was told that your first year is more about learning "what not to do" than "what to do"

Thanks for your replies guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast