Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu

Issues sitting back on my heels

Ever since I started BJJ in March 2011, I was always told by higher belts (especially when I would get swept so easily) to base back and sit on my heels. The problem is, I've never been able to without feeling a good amount of pressure/resistance in my knees and quads.

At first I thought the issue might have been that I'm a bigger guy (6'2", 235 on a good day), but I saw a fellow blue belt who is much shorter and bigger than me, doing so with ease. The only things I can think of are that I hold a lot of tension in my quads and also that due to my previous issues with my knees maybe the resistance isn't doing them too much good.

Do you guys have any advice as to how I can fix this problem? Stretches to help reduce tension in my legs, will losing weight to ease the pressure from the top part of my body on the lower part, etc.?

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    It is not a size thing it is a flexibility thing, I have skinny students who cannot do this.

In sparing don't let your opponent get under you and it should be harder to sweep you.

When you are sitting at home watching TV sit like that, when you are waiting for class to start sit in base, every single chance you get sit like it.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    It is not a size thing it is a flexibility thing, I have skinny students who cannot do this.

In sparing don't let your opponent get under you and it should be harder to sweep you.

When you are sitting at home watching TV sit like that, when you are waiting for class to start sit in base, every single chance you get sit like it.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've gotten much better at distributing my weight so that my opponents don't sweep me, it's just a matter of actually sitting on my heels that I have a problem with. I need to get into the habit of stretching/sitting that way as often as possible, I just hate the feeling of tension in my knees since I've had issues with them before.

Array

School
    Mendes Bros - Art of Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Powers View Post
    Ever since I started BJJ in March 2011, I was always told by higher belts (especially when I would get swept so easily) to base back and sit on my heels. The problem is, I've never been able to without feeling a good amount of pressure/resistance in my knees and quads.

At first I thought the issue might have been that I'm a bigger guy (6'2", 235 on a good day), but I saw a fellow blue belt who is much shorter and bigger than me, doing so with ease. The only things I can think of are that I hold a lot of tension in my quads and also that due to my previous issues with my knees maybe the resistance isn't doing them too much good.

Do you guys have any advice as to how I can fix this problem? Stretches to help reduce tension in my legs, will losing weight to ease the pressure from the top part of my body on the lower part, etc.?
    Rafael and Gui Mendes are always telling us to be on our toes. They say it keeps us mobile. Always reminded to be on our toes if they see us flat on our instep, they will remind us to stay on our toes.

Array

School
    10 Planet San Francisco
    I have similar problems with my knees. I never sit back fully on my heels it hurts and puts too much pressure on my knees. If something hurts your knees dont do it. Listen to your body and try to find a position with good base that does not hurt your body. I play more upright than most people and I still manage to have good base. Find a jiu jitsu play style that works for you. Stretching helps too

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Nick try using a small pillow/cushin and place it between your hammys and calves, then try sitting back, it will alleviate alot of the stress on the knees. Do this while stretching until you can move onto a smaller pillow then to no pillow,I did this quite often while watching tv. I did this same process after my ankle reconstruction, took me several months to get the flexibility, but it was worth the effort.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Exactly, always listen to your body.