Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    extreme MMA

I notice a lot of hate from traditional Arts.

I recently joined yahoo answers to spread the love i have for BJJ,GJJ, Judo,Jiu Jitsu etc. And i have noticed a lot of aikido guys, karate, tae kwon do, kung fu,etc. Almost every single youtube video i watch, or yahoo answer thread i see is just bjj or any form of grappling getting trashed.

I see some kung fu guy's saying BJJ is only for sport and it won't help you in a fight. Some guy's will say that bjj is ineffective.

A lot of people ask advice on yahoo answers and some ask about bjj and a lot of traditional arts guy's completely give biast advice saying don't even bother trying jiu jitsu it doesn't work.

I get so offended by this. Why do some Traditional arts practioners get so biast against bjj or grappling arts?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Everyone think their martial art is better (UFC 1).

Array

School
    Ronin
    Hell, I think it all comes down to the fact that we test our art everyday to know it works. How often can you really train traditional arts? When I did Kyokushin, we sparred hard once or twice a month, and then really went at it only during rank testing; with Kali, you cannot really train the blade work at all (run out of training partners and places to hide the bodies pretty quick), and the "stick hickies" stop being fun after a while with the stick fighting, but I can roll live 4 nights a week and everything's cool.
    We test what they only theorize about.

Array

School
    Big Girls Gym
    I just ran across a Master Lloyd Irvin where he speaks on this very subject. Each Martial Arts works great for what its intended too.

http://youtu.be/JxTdnUI9DxM

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Any art that does not prioritize live randori, with full resistance, is giving its practitioner a false sense of confidence. When it comes to martial combat and self defense.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Any art that does not prioritize live randori, with full resistance, is giving its practitioner a false sense of confidence. When it comes to martial combat and self defense.
    Truth
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I just ran across a Master Lloyd Irvin where he speaks on this very subject. Each Martial Arts works great for what its intended too.
    Interesting point about Karate was designed to kick horsemen off, and the wrist locks/releases to get to the swords in their shealths. I come from a TKD base, and one of the things they used to tell us in TKD was so that we could minimize damage to our hands and we got more kicking power and range from our kicks.

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    Hell, just about everything works if your good at it. I've trained numerous disciplines and they all have they're pros and cons. People just get so closed minded, because like Jeremy said, everyone thinks they'res is better and everyone else's is shit. Martial arts is worse than politics and religion when it comes to opinions and arguments.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Knowing something is better than not knowing anything. Just like insurance, many companies out there, you don't have to have the best, just have to have something to protect your butt when the time comes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Dorantes View Post
    I see some kung fu guy's saying BJJ is only for sport and it won't help you in a fight. Some guy's will say that bjj is ineffective.
    Sometimes this is nothing but close minded hate. Sometimes it's pure denial. And sometimes they have a point.

You have to keep in mind, not everyone trains a grappling style of that's applicable to MMA or a real fight.

If you start every practice on your knees, never work takedowns or takedown defense and don't know how to deal with getting hit, your jiu jitsu is going to be a lot less effective in a non sportive context.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast