Array

School
    Burning Sands Gym Cairo Egypt

A time for finesse and a time for power...

Although I teach my students not to relay on muscle when training we spend a lot of time building muscle strength, but not big muscles. We do hard core fitness training of varying types five days a week. I instill in them that it is excellent technique that will carry them through in the end, but they still have to be tough. I come from a college and national wrestling background to go along with 13 years of Jiu Jitsu training. So I feel that combining both mentalities and types of training is best. What is your opinion?

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    A guy with perfect technique and little fitness can win, and a guy with perfect fitness and little technique can win, but the guy with perfect technique and perfect fitness always wins.

Array

School
    Burning Sands Gym Cairo Egypt
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    A guy with perfect technique and little fitness can win, and a guy with perfect fitness and little technique can win, but the guy with perfect technique and perfect fitness always wins.
    That's the way we roll...

Array

School
    Ground Control Baltimore City
    def. learned that the hard way at my last tournament...

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    If it's an actual match with a set time limit that won't gas you out.. hell, go for broke. Everything and the kitchen sink. Save the ethos of economy of motion for training and the class.

Saulo Ribiero had a great write up in his book about this topic. How in his class he's all about the spirit of jiujitsu, economy of motion, using your opponents energy against themselves, fluidity, etc. But that in competition he's all about controlling and crushing from the top.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Saulo Ribiero had a great write up in his book about this topic. How in his class he's all about the spirit of jiujitsu, economy of motion, using your opponents energy against themselves, fluidity, etc. But that in competition he's all about controlling and crushing from the top.
    that whole book is fantastic.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I train with one of Saulo's best friend's, Eduardo Rocha (4th deg.BB under Royler). Eduardo won't give you a blue belt (or any other) if he doesn't think you are in sufficient shape. you don't have to be ridiculously ripped, but he has a high standard for all his students with a brutal opening "warmup" involving long circuits, kettle bells, and few breaks. His justification is that you don't have to be the strongest, but you have to be strong enough to successfully pull of techniques at a higher level. If someone near your size is good and you are weak, they can usually poewr or base through most of your attempts. I was always a technique over power type guy, but he has convinced me that your BJJ game needs to be strong in all ways, not just one.