Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    All right, I coming from Humboldt here so I hope you appreciate this, one of my best friends has had dreads of and on for most of our adult lives. Plenty of people I interact with have dreads and maintain them to varying levels of cleanliness.

Can dreads be kept clean? Yes but its not nearly as easy as non dreaded hair. Also the inside of dread can only be cleaned to a certain extent. That being said a lot of people with non-dreaded hair dont even keep their hair as clean as some dreadies do.

Maybe more significant is that most people are going to have to perception that they are dirty regardless of how you keep them.

Can you undread them if you dont like it? Kind of, matters how curly your hair is naturally, how long they're in, and you will lose some length probably because the ends will break off.
    Ive seen 3 times dreads get ripped off the scalp. One of those times was gruesome.

When I see dreads, personally I think someones trying to be cool. I'd say go for it while your still young.

There will be haters but WTF, you're your own man, right? Have you considered doing the carpet to match the drapes?

Ok, from experience. Dont get dreds if you plan to do Jiu Jitsu. Dreads hold the smell of every thing you are arround. So a sewaty mat will stay with you. "ill just wash them" nope. I had long dreads before, down my back. Wgen i mountain biked in the south i smelled like a wet bike path. When i snow boarded i got a nice hockey bag sweat thing going.
    Dreads itch and when you itch them you look dirty. Imagine when you wear a ball cap. Sooner or later it itches. well you cant take that hat off. And im sure you dont care what others think, but dudes itching their dreads look like Dudes Itching their Dreads.
    Also i dont know what your job is. But while i was in Machining school, i got metal chips in them, then rolled over in the night to have my face scratched. When i worked days at the bar cleaning it smelled of ashtray, then smoke at night.
    I see wanting dreads. Its a look, and if you like it then its a cool look. I had both long dreads, then shorter dreads at another time. But i would advise that they come with a price, and know that before, dont act surprised later.
    And yes you can comb new dreads out. but a ton of hair is going with them.
    Hope that helps. If ya get them, have a stylist do the perm route. It looks nicer and you can prevent that big turd one thats going to grow on the back of your head for a while. And dont be surprised when people scan the room for another partner to roll with instead of your wet mop (witch will have the weight of a wet mop now, because it literally is).

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Where is Dan Conway to give his 2 pennies. That dude cut off his four foot dreads to start training.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Quote Originally Posted by Moises "Mo" Montalvo View Post
    Actually that's a common misconception. You can wash everyday if you want. People who take care of them have hair as clean as everyone else.
    Nope! no misconception been training for a while with a dude who had dreads down to his butt...
    He couldn't wash them after every trainings because they would take days to dry in winter. It would soak up everything! Not the nicest smell in the world . Last thing I'd want is to carry everybody's sweat in my hair and other grossness!
    He had neck problems too due to weight and volume of dreads he had...

He cut them all in the end after 7 years of growth

Not the smartest thing to get for jiu jitsu.

Only hippies would tell you that they've got clean dreads LOL

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    I can see the appeal so it definitely wouldn't stop me rolling with someone who had them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Alighieri View Post
    Nope! no misconception been training for a while with a dude who had dreads down to his butt...
    He couldn't wash them after every trainings because they would take days to dry in winter. It would soak up everything! Not the nicest smell in the world . Last thing I'd want is to carry everybody's sweat in my hair and other grossness!

toby also suplexed the fuck out of a guy

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona/ Academy of Kings Top Team
    Mann if you want dreds get dreds, how is a bunch of people without dreds gonna comment on you wanting to get em makes no sense. I have never came across someone i wouldn't roll with...dreds or no dreds and ive rolled with some smelly motha fuckas. If u were in a comp and came across a guy with smelly dreds,you wouldnt go to the ref and tell him that you wont roll with him unless he cuts his hair. In jiu jitsu we learn to over come all kinds of obstacles size, height, weight, etc smelly hair is another one ..and by the way you can keep your hair clean i got homies and cousins with dreds and they have bitches playin with there hair all the time its all on the person.

Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha
    This is something I've wanted to do for a long time but never did because of peoples' perceptions when I was younger. Now that I'm older with my wife and kids, I really don't care what anybody else thinks. I posted it on here because I thought if there was anywhere I would be accepted no matter what I looked like was here at 10P. I did NOT expect this much negativity. Haters hate if you want, I spent almost a decade in the military to earn my "don't give a fuck" card. My dreads will not stink, and will not be gross. Most people who have issues with their dreads just haven't put enough time into them. I have literally been looking into this for years. I can't say anything about other people or their experiences because I'm not them. And if you're worried about my dreads while we're rolling, you're not paying attention to something that will probably make you tap.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    All right, I coming from Humboldt here so I hope you appreciate this, one of my best friends has had dreads of and on for most of our adult lives. Plenty of people I interact with have dreads and maintain them to varying levels of cleanliness.

Can dreads be kept clean? Yes but its not nearly as easy as non dreaded hair. Also the inside of dread can only be cleaned to a certain extent. That being said a lot of people with non-dreaded hair dont even keep their hair as clean as some dreadies do.

Maybe more significant is that most people are going to have to perception that they are dirty regardless of how you keep them.

Can you undread them if you dont like it? Kind of, matters how curly your hair is naturally, how long they're in, and you will lose some length probably because the ends will break off.
    Ive seen 3 times dreads get ripped off the scalp. One of those times was gruesome.

When I see dreads, personally I think someones trying to be cool. I'd say go for it while your still young.

There will be haters but WTF, you're your own man, right? Have you considered doing the carpet to match the drapes?
    I had a friend joke around about doing this for real! LOL

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by John Alighieri View Post

Ever heard of blow dryer? Sounds like laziness to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast