Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin

Rubber Guard help

Trying to get Cora ready for Pan Ams, last night we stayed after practice was done and ask one of Cora's friend to help out. Micah is her favorite sparring partner as he is very experienced, over 5 years of BJJ and have done many tournaments. And he is great at takedowns and very technical. Who better to test her with than him. So here is what I find. Cora can run the rubber guard almost blind folded with the other kids. But when she goes against Micah last night, he really exposed her rubber guard. Perhaps he is adapting to it by now since they always spar after class. Any of you guys have the same problem? Please watch the vid to see what I mean. And to correct it??? Thank you ...Bruce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvSGHcbyGPg

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    The reason the young lad smashes her rubber guard at the 2:40 mark is because Cora was for lack of a better word "lazy" with her free leg. the free leg should be on the hip, leg curling on his back, double bagging, or in crackhead etc. tell cora never to just leave her free leg hanging out on the floor, as it is easy to knee drag through and pass.

one of the higher ranks should be able to give a better explanation than me though... just going by what i saw mate

EDIT: the exact same thing happens at 4:40 mark.
    Last edited by Cameron Carr; 01-09-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Blue belt under Sean Bollinger

http://www.facebook.com/camcarr93?ref=tn_tnmn

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    Master Eddie is continually talking about the importance of squeeze and leg curls at all points in the rubber guard. I believe there was one point where Cora was lax and felt overly secure in crackhead and he began to pass. There are options when your leg is going to be stuffed (Kung fu move, or new jersey).

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Carr View Post
    The reason the young lad smashes her rubber guard at the 2:40 mark is because Cora was for lack of a better word "lazy" with her free leg. the free leg should be on the hip, leg curling on his back, double bagging, or in crackhead etc. tell cora never to just leave her free leg hanging out on the floor, as it is easy to knee drag through and pass.

one of the higher ranks should be able to give a better explanation than me though... just going by what i saw mate

EDIT: the exact same thing happens at 4:40 mark.
    I'm the same Rank, but your exactly right, If that leg isn't controlling something (Posture or hips) thats an easy Knee slide pass all day. At that same note, If she clears the head quickly to Chill dog and he begins to pass that free leg, when she kungfu moves, she'll be in a submission called the Carni. Google it, its an excellent submission.

Last edited by John Mejia; 01-09-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added Video

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Lots of stuff in MTS episodes to deal with this. All the above about that leg are true. Rubber guard is awsome, BUT, nothing works 100%. once that leg gets stuffed she needs to kung fu fast, the race is on, then hit the carni, OR she needs to start to develop a meat hook game. OR just bail to lockdown once the leg gets between his. you should have an overhook in lockdown, immediatly go super stomp>butterfly>butterfly sweep. You can also go pyramid control route. It is very hard to use one part of the system exclusive from all the rest, they need to link, intermingle, and flow from one to the other and back.

Array

School
    Guys thank you for all the advice. I'm glad yall chime in because even though I know what to do to correct this. SHe will take it from you guys more because I don't have a sign on my head that says "coach". Sometimes its hard to have credit with your own kid... those that have kids know what i'm talking about... Yes we know the Carni, and she knows how to use them...on less experience kids, she would hit the rubber guard and carni all day. Everything that you guys say to correct, she knows how to do them as we rep it all the time. But when she goes up against a bigger boy or someone like Micah who she think is better than her, all that just goes out the window. Its the intimidation factor or the fear of the uncertainty. Have you guys experience this with your kid?

But on her behalf, yesterday before practice starts, I told her that she is killing these guys with her triangle so much already and I want her to NOT use it at all. I want her to be proficient at something else rather than go to her Triangle. ANd if she use the triangle in any of her matches (all 12 of them), she owes me 100 push ups. So with that said, she was fighting without the use of her big gun. She can't even do the triangle from the rubber guard.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Didn't appear to me that she even tried to go kung fu to carni, just held mission ctrl until the bitter end. She needs it ingrained into her that it is OK to just try for something else like kung fu to carni, even if it just results in a pass. This is after all just practice right. If you know the answer then stopping them in the name of learning would have been in order. Reset them back to just prior to stuffing the leg and ask her this time to try Kung fu to carni, it is OK if you miss it. Or instruct her that this time, just bail and go into lockdown game. Letting crappy reps continue over and over is bad practice. Practice perfect all the time. I do this all the time when rolling with people. I stop people all the time and hit reverse button, have them correct the mistakes and try again. Even if it means me having to tap in the next 2 seconds, but they get a correct sucessful rep in. We just start again anyway. I often just try and go right back and repeat and see if they do it right the second time, if not, I stop and correct it again. For sure if I "know they know" the correct move. not the best time to introduce a 100% new move. I hope you get my drift, hard to put into words.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    Didn't appear to me that she even tried to go kung fu to carni, just held mission ctrl until the bitter end. She needs it ingrained into her that it is OK to just try for something else like kung fu to carni, even if it just results in a pass. This is after all just practice right. If you know the answer then stopping them in the name of learning would have been in order. Reset them back to just prior to stuffing the leg and ask her this time to try Kung fu to carni, it is OK if you miss it. Or instruct her that this time, just bail and go into lockdown game. Letting crappy reps continue over and over is bad practice. Practice perfect all the time. I do this all the time when rolling with people. I stop people all the time and hit reverse button, have them correct the mistakes and try again. Even if it means me having to tap in the next 2 seconds, but they get a correct sucessful rep in. We just start again anyway. I often just try and go right back and repeat and see if they do it right the second time, if not, I stop and correct it again. For sure if I "know they know" the correct move. not the best time to introduce a 100% new move. I hope you get my drift, hard to put into words.
    Greg's right, and Greg's knoweldge for the system is very deep.
    My thing is, Live rolling and sparring is awesome, but especially in practice winning isn't everything. Practice should be fun, and For her to get better, I'd have her drilling at 60,70,80% resistance, to get a feel for what a move will be like in a real match. The faster she can clear the head and end up in chill dog the better, the faster she can kung fu to Jiu Claw, Carni, Gogo, etc. the better. Getting those small movements done with 100% control will make her that much more deadly of an opponent.

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    Passing the leg is how double bagging came to be, and what Cora has going for her is her flexibility. Double bagging for myself is not really an option yet, so I instinctively kung fu and get to carni when I am in danger of being passed. But if she can master double bagging, she will be unstoppable.!!

Array

School
    Ever since these guys started this routine of sparring after class, I make it a habbit of not interferring and just let them go. Its not really a learning session where I can stop them and coach them and reset. They just want to fight. BUT I always record them so that when we get home, that is when the coaching start. Stopping them to teach Cora a certain thing in mid sparring will not go well with Micah. He just want someone to spar with. ANd to benefit Cora, Micah is showing us her flaws just like this vid. So when we get home, that is when we fix it. I know its different and unusual teaching techniques, but I just don't want to ruin their fun with more coaching after they already had an hour of coaching. You know where I'm coming from? They don't see each other much, but when they do, this is what they do. Their sparring is like two sister and brother trying to out do each other, but keep it safe and friendly also, as they are very competitive with one another. Its hard to describe as to what kind of sparring this is. It surely isn't a stop, teach, and spar again thing. With that being said, I do know exactly what you guys are suggesting. We will work on all those flaws this weekend. THanks again ..Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast