Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    How I came to 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu was simple, My dad and I used to wrestle all the time when I was growing up. Granted the technique wasn’t there, the heart was. When I got older, he became fatter and I became stronger, I started to win, and then he started to work out and lose weight. While I was away in Canada he started messing around with stretching, and lockdown, and the beginnings of Rubber Guard. At the time we were just messing around and he would just shit on me with his lockdown, whip up, old skool, and electric chair. As I would come and go for hockey season, he would continue repping the stuff behind my back and I would still come in as Macho as ever and try and rough him up. Many Rug Burns, Blood Stained Carpet, Backyard Headlocks, and SHITTY TECHNIQUE, brought us to the one guy who fucked with the 10th Planet System in Chicago… Josh Passini. From there my dad had done like 3 or 4 private lessons without me, and then I would end up going just to be his grappling partner, with little to no enthusiasm. About 2 months into private lessons Josh had invited us to come to his class and become full-fledged members of the Gym, apprehensive as hell, “I was like fuck that I’m not gonna go and get shit on by some random people” (At first I was that guy). After going my first class, and not getting killed, getting instruction from everyone at the gym, I started to warm up to Jiu Jitsu, I started to embrace the 10TH Planet Family. I started to realize that this wasn’t just a pastime, hobby, or some martial art, it was more than that. It was a clubhouse, a sweatbox, a house of pain, bumps and bruises, but the guys next to you all felt the same way. From there I was humbled, Broken Down and reborn a Nibiru Warrior.

Side-note. Josh has been there like a brother for me through tough times and good times, he has pushed me to be my greatest, and picked me up when I’m my worst. He’s been more than a coach, more than a instructor, and more than a mentor. Josh is family, and for that I’m eternally grateful. So Josh Thank You For Everything!
    That's Rad! So your pops was running lockdown on you?! awesome as heck!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    That's Rad! So your pops was running lockdown on you?! awesome as heck!
    My dad used to destroy me with the lockdown... Day in...day out. Damn Panda!

Array

School
    you guys probably heard it before but here's how I came across the system:

When I first started jits(Jokers Wild Fighting Academy) I was like a sponge trying to learn all that I could.
    Someone dropped an invisible collar on me, I was like that was cool.
    Another friend told me about butterfly and rubberguard and lockdown. I was like what the heck is all that.
    They said, just buy the Rubber Guard book. I resisted and bought, Jiu Jitsu Unleashed by Eddie, instead.
    Enthused that all this ish was working, I bought the Rubber Guard book, and for my first tourney I was going to drop RG on people.
    I go to gracie nationals and face one of Eddie's guys, Dave Calahan. I was like, yes!!! I'm gonna pull RG on the originators student. I lost, but made a friend in DC, gained respect for the system.

Moved to Nor Cal bay area and was going to visit and join 10p SF under Denny, but I first wanted to try something closer to where I was living. I immediately clicked with FSA in South SF. Good people and I didn't want to leave them to go to Denny's, although I knew Denny's was the place to be.

Moved back to so cal, riverside. Continued my training with Munoz and Joker but being out of work, the 100 mile round trip was proving to be costly, so I googled jiu jitsu riverside...
    results showed: 10th Planet Riverside...

I thought it was a typo or mistake, so I went to visit the place(about 5 minutes from home)...
    This was in july 2009. I liked it and said I'll be back. Still tried to make the trek to my gym in OC with Joker or Munoz, but realized, 10p riverside made much more sense.
    The rest is history... Now we got a gym in OC. It's my way of saying I believe in the system, and I'm gonna spread the word.

All the time before 10th Planet I was trying to justify why I hadn't joined, or was trying to beat a 10P guy in tourney... It was all time wasted, because fate brought me into the system, and it's the coolest bunch of people you can find, world wide!

I see there are a lot of people that look down on the system or talk shit, secretly, but in the end, when you put them behind closed doors and show them what it's really about, they'll be honest as f*** and are really down with it too.
    Last edited by Slick Rick; 01-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    sometime around 2004-5 I saw a video of Eddie in an interview saying how the lockdown is the most powerful way to play halfguard. Tried it and have been hooked eversince. Not even sure it was 10th planet then.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    My dad used to destroy me with the lockdown... Day in...day out. Damn Panda!
    Ah I see. Panda's your dad. Why I never knew?! Awesome father/son hobby!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Cool as hell Javi and I love having your knowledge of the shit I dont know at my finger tips, John that was very nice and your are like my little BIG brother.

My story:
    I heard of this dude Eddie Bravo from the internet in the early stages of my training. I saw this sick system frst hand when I was training at the same camp as my boy Mikey. He completely beat my ass, put me in a gogo and all i could think was how the fuck did his foot get under neath my neck from that position. Being a lifelong wrestler I faired well even with little training but I got fucked up by the shit in this system. Mikey showed me the lockdown and then that shit was on. After that I was on a quest for knowledge and somewhere along that journey i relized that this system fills a lot of the holes that I saw. I was sold but pissed that only Mike and I were messing with it and was told that all that this shit doesnt work. I saw mike find success with a bunch of the system and it came natural to me due to the similiarites to my wrestling game, but I had the worst flexibilty in the game. I stretched, repped and repped and repped and finally saw that Eddie was going to be in Omaha. I left after work late and drove all night to get there(10.5 hours) on time. No sleep but i didnt give a fuck. Eddie asked if anyone was from out of town, a bunch raised our hands. He then asked each of us how far and I told him 10.5 hours overnight. He said where are you from and replied Chicago, he said damn I wish I had a school in Chicago . I quickly replied that's why I'm here and said Im the dude that has been blowing up you email. His response was Oh Shit that's you, and that's when my journey got real. We stayed a bit after and I hung out with Brian from Springfield(Probably the dude that has helped me the most in my Journey, that's my killer!) and I started to realize how awesome and deep this system really is. I can honestly say that the universe has brought me to this awesome family and I am a much better person since diving deeper and deeper into te system. I have gained and amazing amount of fmily memebers from 10p. Im honored to be here and even more honored that Eddie trusted in this crazy Italian kid from Chicago who had the balls and the determination to open up shop in a major market dominanted by Brazilians. 10P4L!!!!
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
    ah i see. Panda's your dad. Why i never knew?! Awesome father/son hobby!
    shhhhhhh!!!!
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    It's so crazy reading all these stories, I am so lucky to be surrounded by such beautiful people, the 10p family is all love :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Kankakee Jiu Jitsu Club
    I knew Eddie as the guy who called the early UFC fights correctly and from joe rogan talking about him so when I decided to start jiu jitsu I bought his books and started repping with my friends in my garage. Now I have a few NAGAs, seminars and with the help of Josh Passini a HotBox. That's how 10 do!

Sam Sales

I have only been doing jiu jitsu around 20 months now. But found out about Eddie/10p pretty early on. About 6 months into my JJ journey I guess (about 14 months ago).
    Anyway, to be truthful It was a video made by Chris Herzog (his Japanese necktie tech vid) that led me to submissions 101 and then Eddie etc.

As soon as I started playing with rubber guard and lockdown etc I knew the system was for me. But as I listened more to Eddie and the guys in the community, the ideas, the way jiujitsu is treated like a science here. It just all made sense.

Even though I cant train regularly at a moon as the nearest is nearly 300 miles away from me, I am lucky enough to train at a decent school where everyone is pretty 10p friendly. My instructor, a Brazilian guy called Valmyr Neto has never once said 'dont do that Eddie Bravo shit in here' or anything like some of the stories we have heard. Plus I have a few really cool training partners that have been dedicating 5+ hours a week since xmas just to help me drill 10th planet tech outside of all my regular classes. That's what 10th planet and jiu jitsu does. Brings people together. :-)

Jiu jitsu weeds out the bad. It either weeds out the bad 'people' very quickly, or it weeds out the bad 'in people'. It can completely transform someone for the better.
    You see it happen all the time. Guy comes in, thuggish type, wants to learn MMA and kick some heads in anywhere anytime, 6 months later they are jiu jitsu heads, cleaned up their shit and totally calmed down, just completely different people. Much much better human beings. :-)
    Last edited by Sam Sales; 01-12-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast