Array

School
    Marcos Nardini BJJ

Flexibility question?

Hi guys..just looking for some advice!

As a new convert from training exclusively gi I have found whilst trying some techniques my flexibility is shit! I have struggled with Rubber guard and Mini stomp etc and wondered... would I be better to focus on my flexibility first before attempting to practice these techniques or...will my flexibility improve sooner if I persevere and keep trying ??? Thanks

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I went from barely being able to touch my toes to being able to rest my head on my knee comfortably in only 5 weeks. Just an example, My flexibility has improved all around. I'm 30 but I used to be extremely flexible in my teens from martial arts, maybe that helped.

Of course I'm just a white belt so I'll be interested to see what people say but my feeling is that you could improve flexibility at the same time as continuing to work these techniques.

I dont know if this is good info but I hold my stretches for a nice slow 25 sec count, go through the whole body from toes to hands an then repeat. Its working great for me.

Some people say rubber guard hurts their knees. I've tried to play with different angels but I just dont feel any knee stress, IDK.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    While having good flexibility makes rubberguard much easier and more fun, I think learning it when your flexibility is bad forces you to learn better technique.

Array

School
    Legacy Jiu Jitsu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktcKhtMQ88

This should help, From the Man himself!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Always work on your flexibility but there are a million other moves you can focus on besides the rubber guard, just until your flexibility comes together. From the bottom focus on lockdown half, prison guard, butterfly guard.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Marcos Nardini BJJ
    Thanks for the advice guy's...sounds like a plan

chris miah

What do people find the best ways to get more flexible? Disputes between stretching warm and cold. Yoga, PNF etc what work well for you individually?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Byars View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktcKhtMQ88

This should help, From the Man himself!
    Exactly! I saw that video and took it as a challenge. Gotta work your stretches mulitple times a day, every chance you get. Cant just do it before class and expect to get great results.