Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    So out of curiosity I looked up power lifting records for men and women of the same weight. Men lift about 40%-70% more than women of the same weight, depending on the exercise.

Array

School
    10th pl.-Ronin
    That sounds true enough. I might be dishing out the wrong information here.. Fighting is very different to lifting tho, but yes, I can see how this is an important factor. I blame my younger years, I knew a girl then that would always beat me at arm wrestling, and she was twice as strong as me. :'(
    Let me rephrase; If the two athletes have skillets that makes a fair fight, then I don't see any problem.

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    AT the time I probably weighed 140lbs and they were like 170-180. They were very surprised and disappointed to see that they were like kids compared to me strength wise. I was a little surprised too, I knew I was stronger but I didn't expect to be that much stronger. My little brother was able to beat them in arm wrestling decisively and he weighed maybe 120 at the time, sticks for arms.
    I always figured you looked like He Man, like your avatar suggests :P

Andrew T

I would never hit a woman and I wouldn't want to watch a man punch a woman either even if they both agreed to it and signed the contract. ESPN the mag did a story on youth mma where boys and girls fight each other with no head strikes. I cant remember the rest of the rules but it's really watered down mma to prevent serious injuries. Cyborg has done so much juice she could probably hang in there with most of the men in the featherweight division. Ronda is still gonna take her arm home with her though.

Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha
    Obviously she was on man juice.

My take is that inter-gender is the only truly non-sexist way to go. Thing is that there would be no women in MMA if it was inter-gender. Ronda would go from phenom to out of work.

Disagree? Which bantamweight fighter could she defeat?

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Cl...Name&order=asc

Now I admit she could beat my ass but we're talking pro-mma here.
    I think Ronda could take Dominic Cruz, they have trained together in the past. I think a lot of us underestimate females. I've seen chicks knock out dudes before. If Ronda Rousey vs Dominic Cruz happened it would probably be a war. The ladies have heart, never underestimate the fighter who wants it more.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Personally I think it's retarded to even consider it.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    I'f i fought Ronda Rousy i'd use my baby arm against her lol

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moises "Mo" Montalvo View Post
    I think Ronda could take Dominic Cruz, they have trained together in the past. I think a lot of us underestimate females. I've seen chicks knock out dudes before. If Ronda Rousey vs Dominic Cruz happened it would probably be a war. The ladies have heart, never underestimate the fighter who wants it more.
    I'm not sure which Dominic Cruz fights you've watched that make you think this, but Cruz would dance for 5 rounds and jab her pretty little face until she looked like hamburger. I'm not interested in watching that. Cruz's footwork and striking would never give Ronda a chance to even close the distance.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    I'd bite Ronda on the back of her neck like a lion mounting a lioness, then i'd stick her with my barbed dick. and bust a nut all over the cage in front of millions. it would be the grossest fight ever, then i'd roll over and smoke a blunt. aahhh yeaaa baby

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    My take is that inter-gender is the only truly non-sexist way to go.
    In principle I agree with this sentiment. Afterall, intergender grappling already happens. There have been male-female striking matches in the past as well, though mostly of a female fighter vs untrained male exhibition type thing...

In reality, I don't see it happening for a sport like MMA, which a large portion of the general public already thinks of as barbaric. Even if it was accepted some how, there's no guarantee of an audience for it.

Thing is that there would be no women in MMA if it was inter-gender. Ronda would go from phenom to out of work.
    I have known some phenominal male athletes that can beat (or at least hold their own against) larger, stronger opponents. In fact, we see physical mismatches like this all the time in MMA, where one guy has to cut only a few lbs and the other guys is cutting 20-30... or where one guy is clearly in his weightclass due to massive muscles and the other is there mostly due to poor eating habbits...

Statistically, the bigger more powerful fighter will win, but this is not always the case.

With the right match making, you could probably apply this to a male vs female MMA match as well and the outcome would not be a forgone conclusion.

Personally, I'm almost always the smaller fighter in any match, so in some ways I find the idea of dismissing a female fighter beased on strength hits kinda close to home.

Now I admit she could beat my ass but we're talking pro-mma here.
    Ronda is on a much higher level than many of her oppoennts and, frankly in her realm of expertise, she's also on a higher level than many males in the sport. She might not be able to stand and bang with other 135lbs fighters, but she has the technnique to bring the fight to the ground where she normally dominates.

Keep in mind, she is physically powerful for her size and she's not walking around at 135 (but neither are most of the guys in that devision). She MIGHT be able to muscle some of the smaller/less physical guys, though I dont think she would necessarily need to, given the quality of her technique. She's been training with men her whole life, many of them Olympians and World Champions, some of whom I know personlly and who I think would vouch for her abilites. And I get the impression from Eddie that she does OK for herself over at HQ too

Now, I'm not saying she WOULD win or could make a run at the Bantamweight strap, but I wouldn't dismiss her out of hand either.

Of course, I also readily admit that I adore Ronda and might not argue quite as passionatly about it had you chosen some other female fighter as your example

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast