Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

netflix + hulu = canceling cable?

so ive been thinking about doing this, im not a huge fan of netflix but the gf is. most shows are on hulu the day after they air, and whatever isnt i can torrent. it would probably save us 100 bucks a month or so. has anyone else gone this route?

This is literally exactly what I've done and I've survived thus far. The only thing you really missed out on our lives events like UFC on Fox or UFC on FX but I usually go kick it at someone's house so it's not a big deal for me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    yeah you can torrent live ufc events or ppv events the day after they are, or watch a stream. cable is more convientent for sure but the savings are pretty big and i think it would be worth it. im just trying to talk the gf into doing it. shes a little more annoyed with hunting shows down than i am, she is also paying for the cable so it would save her the money and me the headache of listening to her

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I have the cheapest cable option only because out here you HAVE to bundle cable and Internet. But before moving to Boston i was Internet only for like 3 years. I can watch nearly anything I want, show and movies and MMA, with a quick search. I got a VGA cable to hook may laptop to my tv too. My brother in law has the laptop to hdmi hookup. We watched taken 2 the other day. The stream was so clear we forgot it wasn't a DVD.

Honestly, I can't think of any reason to have cable besides it being slightly more convenient.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Well all the movies I watch are via torrents. I put them on a USB stick and they play on my tv as a DVD would. I use project free tv too but that's just a stream on my laptop. I run Linux and I can't figure out how to get the hdmi to work with the tv. Linux is wierd with the hdmi for some reason.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I have the cheapest cable option only because out here you HAVE to bundle cable and Internet. But before moving to Boston i was Internet only for like 3 years. I can watch nearly anything I want, show and movies and MMA, with a quick search. I got a VGA cable to hook may laptop to my tv too. My brother in law has the laptop to hdmi hookup. We watched taken 2 the other day. The stream was so clear we forgot it wasn't a DVD.

Honestly, I can't think of any reason to have cable besides it being slightly more convenient.
    What Dave said.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Just get a VGA connector then. It's not as clear as hdmi, but I'm watching inglourious basterds right now and it's DVD quality on my tv. I think most TVs have a VGA hookup in the back. It might be labeled "PC."

Array

School
    Big Girls Gym
    No need for cable if you have internet and netflix.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Just get a VGA connector then. It's not as clear as hdmi, but I'm watching inglourious basterds right now and it's DVD quality on my tv. I think most TVs have a VGA hookup in the back. It might be labeled "PC."
    DVI-D is better than VGA if you have the option. Same quality as HDMI. Also HDMI supports HDCP Digital Rights Management technology so fuck that. Only advantage is that HDMI can transmit digital audio as well in the same connector.

I been using netflix, hulu, torrets and streaming torrents for 5 years now (no cable/sat)

Array

School
    Fredonia
    AppleTV 2 is pretty sweet too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast