Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!

Marijuana Opinion Question

Hey guys, I've been thinking about this question for a while now and I'd like to get some collective opinions from you guys since I'm pretty sure the majority of you are pro-marijuana. So here it is...

At what age do you think it is acceptable/appropriate/not-harmful/etc to introduce a person to smoking marijuana?

Personally, I went through all of high school believing that because I had asthma, if I smoked pot I was risking my life. Being a prominent high school athlete I also believed that if I smoked pot I was throwing my athletic ability down the drain. It wasn't until the age of 18 that I said fuck it and realized that was all a bunch of crap. (my asthma was non-existent just a year later, go figure) Anyway, I ask because I have a 15 year old brother (high school freshman), and while he is well aware that I am as pro-marijuana as you can be, I still tell him not to try it until senior year of high school at the earliest. He is a stellar student, was valedictorian of his middle school class, so I don't want it to possibly get in the way of his focus and educational drive. I feel slightly hypocritical thinking this way but I guess it's the protective older brother in me. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for weighing in!

Array

School
    10th Planet
    18 is reasonable.

as far as children with cancer or other ailments where marijuana would greatly benefit them, there is a synthetic form of THC that comes in a pill.

for those worried about their lungs.

Array

School
    Ronin
    yeah I just smoked for the first time about a month and half ago, right after i turned 23. I think its best to wait until you are older when you have a fuller grasp on life and can, for lack of a better word, appreciate it more. if that makes any sense haha

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Agreed Dustin, but that moment was when I was still 19, and I appreciated it a hell of a lot! 14 year old kids doing it do it for the laughs, of course

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay JC Chow View Post
    Agreed Dustin, but that moment was when I was still 19, and I appreciated it a hell of a lot! 14 year old kids doing it do it for the laughs, of course

haha yeah, 19 is old enough too. when you they are 14, they just do it bc other people are doing it and for, like you said, the laughs lol

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    If there was a valid pharmaceutical need I wouldn't have problems giving Marijuana to either of my kids. God knows they have worse stuff waiting behind the counter than weed. As far as recreational use, I don't think I could advocate any sort of recreational use of any substance for my kids. My job as a parent is just to educate them, inform them, and to give them the tools to think for themselves once they reach the proper age. Until that age, I would ideally like to promote a lifestyle consisting of productive recreational activities and/or interests independent of themselves. In of itself the recreational use of weed, cigarettes, alcohol, hell B12 are not productive activities.

How they want to facilitate their own productive activities in the future, when they are on their own, will be their business and their choice.

I know that was kind of wordy, so to sum it up; I would like to promote prolific and productive activities before having to worry about the introduction of any substances that might help or harm them.

Array

School
    10th Planet VistA
    I really dont think it has to do so much with age as it does with maturity. Smoking marijuana can spark creativity, enthusiasm, etc., but we all know if you choose to become a couch potato/ vegetable, and you have the stuff that will melt you into the couch, then you will sit there and waste away talent, and brains. Plus, it depends on the individuals amount of responsibilities. If they are an athlete and have drug tests to worry about, than its just not worth it for them to smoke.

Ive pondered this question myself. I have a 6 year old son, and I know that day is coming, and coming fast! I started smoking at 12, my sister was a freshman and thought it would be funny, and have been off and on my whole life. Let me tell you, I enjoy the on parts much more My best answer and way I'm going to approach it is this, Ill leave it up to him. If he is a responsible young adult, who is on top of his responsibilities, and there's nothing in his life academically that will be hindered, than I will sit down with my son and show him how a Black Belt does it. On the other hand if he is a rowdy punk, I will show him the twister!

Array

School
    10th Planet VistA
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    If there was a valid pharmaceutical need I wouldn't have problems giving Marijuana to either of my kids. God knows they have worse stuff waiting behind the counter than weed. As far as recreational use, I don't think I could advocate any sort of recreational use of any substance for my kids. My job as a parent is just to educate them, inform them, and to give them the tools to think for themselves once they reach the proper age. Until that age, I would ideally like to promote a lifestyle consisting of productive recreational activities and/or interests independent of themselves. In of itself the recreational use of weed, cigarettes, alcohol, hell B12 are not productive activities.

How they want to facilitate their own productive activities in the future, when they are on their own, will be their business and their choice.

I know that was kind of wordy, so to sum it up; I would like to promote prolific and productive activities before having to worry about the introduction of any substances that might help or harm them.
    I agree 100%, and that is what I do with him now. Show him all the things a person can do with their time, and be productive. But also sometimes I show him that you need to turn the machine off and enjoy family time! My other response was geared toward the substance already being introduced, and/or his curiosity towards marijuana.

Array

School
    Ronin
    If he knows his older brother is successfully navigating his way through law school while smoking marijuana than hes probably already doing it bro. The best thing to do at this point is to set him down get him to confess and then tell him how to do things the right way. Before he ends up catching a drug charge that will haunt him for life for doing something a stupid teen ager would do like taking shit to school or something like that.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    If he knows his older brother is successfully navigating his way through law school while smoking marijuana than hes probably already doing it bro. The best thing to do at this point is to set him down get him to confess and then tell him how to do things the right way. Before he ends up catching a drug charge that will haunt him for life for doing something a stupid teen ager would do like taking shit to school or something like that.
    We've got a pretty close/open relationship so I'm 99% sure he hasn't tried it yet and wouldn't without asking me for advice first. In fact, he'd almost definitely want me to be there his first time... he's kind of a wuss and he'd be scared to do it without me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast