Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin

NEED HELP ASAP... cutting weight

Houston We have a problem!!! Need ALL the BJJ guru help asap. Cora aka "Triangle Queen" has been hitting the gym hard and its causing her to GAIN weight. Crazy huh?? 3 days ago she was only 64 lbs, yesterday she was only 65 lbs, all of this was weighed in after her workout. So today, no work out, she just went to the park and play around. We came back home and weigh in again....66 lbs!!!! WTH??? This is without her gi on. Unfortunately we don't have any of her GI top to try it on as it is in the tailor to have some patches sewed on. For Kids Pan Ams, she must NOT go over 67 lbs with the Gi on. Just 3 weeks ago at a local tournament, she weighs in at 62.3 lbs without Gi on. After that tournament, she's been working out really hard and I'm thinking that she is building up muscles that is why she is getting heavier. OR she is going through a growth spurt. In any case, we have till tomorrow to move her to a higher weigh division or risk being disqualified. OR if there is anyway for her to lose 2 lbs in a week. Moving up in weight class, she will not have any competition. I want her to stay where she is at now because there are already 5 girls in her division. Suggestion greatly appreciated.... Bruce

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    Pshh thats nothing, i used to lose like 4 ppounds in an 2 hours for a wrestling match. Make her eat light until the tournament and she should be fine, if worst comes to worst put a lil vaseline on here, some swears and her gi and make her roll, but trust me she should be fine if she eats some smaller portions.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa, CA
    Well, PERSONALLY i don't like the idea of weight cut in kids. It's not the actual physical cut, it the mentality of it. I PERSONALLY am not a fan. I had the same issue with Mikey last tourney, so he moved up. He weighed in under (could have stayed in the lower bracket) at weigh ins but I would rather be safe than sorry when traveling so far and so much money has been spent. If you are set on her staying in that weight, watch her sodium intake. You'd be suprised on how much it helps. But also keep in mind you are going to be traveling so eatting well could be tricky.

Side note- Cora is amazing, and you should be VERY proud of her. I love seeing girls her age compete. I wish I would have found this amazing sport when I was her age. She is very lucky to have you to help her along the way. Best of Luck at Pan Ams!

I would not consider cutting wight at her age... she's probably gaining weight because she still growing

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    A lil extra clothing under her gi, and she'll be fine, a lil sweat isnt going to hurt her and shes got plenty of time

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Those are great ideas guys.. thank you so much. Although I also don't like the cutting weight idea myself. She just trained so hard for this tournament that it will dissappoint her if she goes up in weight and doesn't have that many fights. Hope yall understand when you train so hard, you just want to show off what you got and test yourself. Hopefully those girls will push her enough so that you can see what she has added to her game. We already told her that we will cut down her portion of the meal, no more soda, no more sweet, no more snacks. She hates this idea, but its only for 1 wk and then she can eat all she wants. Its actually great that she is gaining weight because I do want her to gain weight so she won't be the lightest in the local tournament. If she gets to 67-68 lbs, she will rule her division at the local tournaments like NAGA.

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    Cutting out soda and carbs will help a lot. Just have her eat healthier with more meat and vegetables and less breads and sweets like you mentioned. It will help if your family eats the same way so she doesn't feel left out. She is a kid and it will be hard so reward her with whatever meal she wants after weigh ins or after she competes. It is hard as a kid for weight cuts and even harder for a female. Replacing soda and sweets should be more than enough to do it so she isn't doing an actual cut, just a diet change.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    I wont let my kids cut weight until they get to high school. It isnt worth the grind if they burn out early. Bump her up is what I would personally do.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    I wont let my kids cut weight until they get to high school. It isnt worth the grind if they burn out early. Bump her up is what I would personally do.
    +1 she is growing, son naturally she will have to go up in weight classes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    well im not as against weight cuts as some people. just depends how u do them. its already been mentioned. take the soda and sweets out but another good one is no red meat. chicken and fish. salads etc. i only rarely eat red meat these days and it makes me feel sluggish anyway but its good for the weight aswell. doing a weight cut by a change in diet is fine by me but the whole water cuts and stuff seem a lot for a kid. but if she needs to lose like a pound or two, at her age changing the diet a bit should fix that. and if she works out at the gym going for lower weights and more reps could help tone instead of bulk.

good luck. i hope it all works out and you guys come back with the gold

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast