Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

when do you feel like you grow more ?

Everyone likes to do well and run through guys, but what do you guys feel improves your game more, getting shown the holes in your game by being dominated by people with higher skill levels, or being able to run your game and be on offense with people of a lesser skill level? Or does it just take a mixture of both? Just wanted to get others perspective on this.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    I think its a mixture of both. Being dominated by more skilled person doesn't always show ur holes but that the person with the higher skill has put in the numbers. And when you run thru someone you're just doing a sweep or a sub that you already knew you can do. I personally like to try things on newer people that i just learned and try to perfect it on them, then after i put the numbers in i can try it on a higher belt. But thats just my 2 cents.
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    blank
    superior opponents will help you work your defence, inferior opponents will help you work your offence

Array

School
    Rick Youngs Black Belt Academy
    I've stopped rolling hard for the time being, really wanting to polish up whatever (not much!) technique I have. Slow rolling is perfect for that, linking up techniques trying to keep everything playful.

Just like the rest have said though, it's usually work defence against more experienced players and offence against less experienced players.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I like a mix, I like to go against people who have less reps (I don't always like to use the term "inferior or lower level opponent") and work some top game, and then pull them into guard and work more sub combos. Against better opponents I like to see how they go about breaking my guard or defending my attacks, and I also find mixing it up and training against new partners helps grow too because after a while ur common teammates start to pick up ur game and defend/predict ur preferences more.

Array

School
    Grosse Pointe - New Edge MMA
    I'm a white belt so it's the better opponent that helps me. I need help on not telegraphing my moves.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    i would have to say i like to go against people that have put more reps in most of the time because i feel i work harder when i do, but then again its definitly nice to work right through things when guys arnt sure what u are doing.

best rolls ive ever had though were with guys pretty mucha t the same level as i was. these rolls would always go over time and i felt i learnt the most from these. you can get your moves in without being shut down right away but u cant feel like u can dominate them yoursself.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    You definatly need both for different reasons, but I learn best from high level people that are using skill, not just speed and power. A technique vs technique roll with a high level player is where it is at for me to improve alot is a short period. I'm like a sponge in these situations that is why I really want to roll with Eddie someday.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I feel like I grow most when I get tooled by better grapplers or have competitive rolls with someone very evenly matched. I get nothing but an ego boost and sometimes slight guilt for burning through new white belts. I prefer to get beaten or get challenged. The lessons I've learned at the hands of coach Zog, Scott, and Sarkis, along with my training partners, has been invaluable. Especially my guys Jeremy and Ben.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    With higher skilled opponents, your reaction time is forced to increase since they tend to keep moving in transitions, while newer people settle and pause during each position

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast