Array

School
    SABJJ

Help with S mount to monno control or spider web

hi guys if any body could help me out i have a question when going from S mount to mono control in all the instructions Eddie has the s mount with the top of the s on the opposite side that you will play upside down rubber guard etc and the bottom of the S ie the knee is the one that he will lift up to start setting up stuff with. as-well that same way is the way that he teachers to go to spider. my question is can you do it the opposite way with the s mount use the top of the S to start to get into mono control and to get to spider web.

Array

School
    EpLegends Martial Arts
    The reason the side the knee is posted switchs to spider web is because, first the knee allows you to get your opponents shoulder off the mat, thus allowing a deeper hook and the ability to have the free arm hook the legs thus going into spider web. Of course if the opponent is pretty new and sloppy and his arms arnt in tight... you could spin to opposite arm and transition to the spider web. In theory the person your rolling with would be tight, elbows in giving you no space therefore you need to work him a little so hes not flat on his back, that being you place your knee against, underhook the arm and throw the leg over. So in short yes will work on newer people, def wouldnt work on more experienced people and in transition you will prob end up in guard or atleast lock down during transition. Best to just stick with getting high mount, placing S mount in, controlling, deep underhooking and as you step ur foot over to grab his leg and then relax and let the technqiue do the work before just yanking with all ur might for the arm. I hope this helps.

Array

School
    EpLegends Martial Arts
    If my information is wrong in anyway I'm sorry and I'm sure someone will help add insight.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    CAN you do it on the opposite side? Sure, why not? Will it be more difficult? Most likely. You'd have to do some creative tweaking to make it work.

Array

School
    SABJJ
    thanks guys for the feed back very much appreciated