Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

Anybody ever get heart palpitations?

Recently, I've been consistently getting these sudden fast heart beats that last a couple seconds. It's been going on for a few weeks. I've never felt anything like this before. I'm 43 and still training Jiu Jitsu about 5-6 times a week (provided my lower back is not TOO bad). I'm a little worried. Anybody had these palpitations before?
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

My Dad started getting them in his 40's. He was a heavy coffee drinker and was simply told to lay off any and all caffeine and he hasn't had a problem since. Are you a coffee drinker or use pre-workout drinks or any other types of stimulants?

Array

School
    I'm not a coffee drinker. Haven't used a preworkout stimulant in a while. But recently, I've been using a concoction of creatine, beta-alanine, and Xtend Scivation (which is a BCAA based intra-workout drink).

Doesn't Canada have free healthcare? This seems like something u would get checked out.

Array

School
    none
    there are alot of google results on beta-alanine and heart palpitations.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Louis I have had that and worse. My heart went into Ventricular fibrillation on the mats at our 10P moon last year in May on two occurances.
    It's about as scary as it can get, but in my case I knew instantly it was from years of chain smoking and abusing my body like a college student. (Hard drinking and heavy smoking non-stop)

I quit smoking on the spot and decided to reclaim my health. I had a few tests and stuff, but the doctor said that I had nothing showing up on the tests that would act as an indicator of anything. So I decided that I would jog until I couldn't jog anymore, and that's what I did for over 6 months. It helped me in a big way. My heart has gone into fibrillation again since then, once when I was jogging and once during HIIT at out JJ warmup.

Slow metered breathing will help it drop back into synch, and also (believe it or not) my doctor said that if it goes into fibrilliation and doesn't want to drop back into it's normal pattern, go to the washroom and sit on the toilet and try to take a violent crap. I kid you not. That bearing down and flexing and squeezing can help the heart drop back into it's normal pattern.

If you're going through what is most common, what is happening is the bottom half of your heart is still beating and pumping blood, but the top half is freaking out at it's own pace. The good news is that your heart is still pumping oxygenated blood because it's basically like a gravity fed pump, but you need to sit still and stay calm and try to force it back into rhythm.

I know you're not a smoker, but you don't need to be a smoker to experience this. I was told it was quite common and effects a lot of non-smokers. It is still super scary none-the-less, and I really push myself with cardio to try to raise my aerobic threshold and recover my heart health. I also started taking a Melaleuca fiber supplement called "Fiberwise" for heart health. Between that and the exercise and the jits and the good food and not smoking I haven't experienced fibrillation in a few months, knock on wood.

When I do experience it, it is usually when my heart is pounding from JJ, and then someone puts a bloodchoke on me, and my brain sends a signal to my heart screaming "WE NEED MORE BLOOD, WORK HARDER" and then my heart just spazzes out. So I try to keep calm whem I roll, so really the whole situation is going to help my jitz in the long run.

Get it looked at by a doctor and make sure that what you're going through is the common thing I described. It could be something else. If it's the common fibrillation issue, go hard cardio but stay in tune with your heart while you push yourself.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure something is wrong. Checked my blood pressure, and it's high...for the 1st time in my life. And now I am feeling some discomfort around my chest area. I'll try to get it checked out tomorrow. Don't have time today.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Ho View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure something is wrong. Checked my blood pressure, and it's high...for the 1st time in my life. And now I am feeling some discomfort around my chest area. I'll try to get it checked out tomorrow. Don't have time today.
    Hey brotha you should really get that check ASAP. Not trying to be a dick in any way but with heart issues there may not be a tomorrow

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    My uncle is early 40's and had something similar last year which turned into a panic attack although at the time we thought he had a heart attack.

Everyone is different though dude so like the guys said, go to the drs as soon as poss. Let us know how you get on man, hope you are o.k.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I'd def check it out with the doctor too, or at the very least a professional. Hope things work out!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast