Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough

Craving sugar - do I need it?

I am on something close to a paleo diet, but I eat some stuff that is not included in the paleo diet hee and there. But for the most part I am zero sugar.

Today I am CRAVING sugar. Big time. I ate a box of chocolate covered raisins and I am going to get another box right now. A lot of people have a cheat day built into their week, but I personally don't, so I haven't "cheated" (ie: ate shitty stuff) for literally weeks. SO I never feel bad if I do it, but I am just wondering if other people get craving like this or not.

I work with a guy who's wife is heavy into nutrition/dieting/naturopathy stuff and he said if you're craving it, you likely need it. What do you think?

I'm hitting weights almost daily and JJ two to three times a week, work permitting. No shortage on exercise, no shortage on protien or vitamins, etc.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    If you're really craving that sugary stuff, just get down on some dried fruit or some regular fruit. Of treat dried fruit almost like candy, because it isn't the same as eating a regular apple or banana.

Array

School
    none
    your probably hungering for calorie rich foods because your body is calorie deficient from being on a restricted diet.

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    I have a terrible sweet tooth and really crave sugar after most hot meals. I usually don't have a cheat day when I'm dieting properly but work 3 cheat meals and one desert into my 7 day week, which I find keeps me focused and allows me to stray a little if need be. Don't know if this helps seeing as you don't like to cheat but I think everything in moderation can't be too bad for you... except maybe heroine.

Array

School
    Haha, got it. Stay away from heroin.

It's not that I don't like to cheat, but I know that if I make sunday a "cheat day", I will basically cheat every sunday without fail.
    If I never actually commit to a cheat day, I tend not to cheat at all, and then on the odd occasion where I want something like a couple pieces of cake or whatever, I will indulge.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by happyjourney View Post
    your probably hungering for calorie rich foods because your body is calorie deficient from being on a restricted diet.

Not sure. I eat at least three meals a day of Chicken and Quinoa, plus a lot of baby spinach, protein shakes/bars, and oatmeal lately.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Only when I smoke a lot of hash, which is every fucking night.

Seriously the only craving I really get is for red meat, and I get it so bad sometimes, I'll be driving by a field of cattle and just start daydreaming about running out and eating one alive, especially the calves, damn they look good sometimes.

Array

School
    none
    your brain needs sugars to run. theres that also. you said your doing jj and working out which sounds like a real intensive routine. I know when i get real intensive into workouts regularly i feel like i can't eat enough nutrition to satisfy my bodys needs. it might be nutrient deficient foods though that fill my stomach but not my bodys nutrient needs.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Ya eat lots of fruits. Sugar in chocolate covered raisens isnt found in nature which defeats the purpose of following a diet that is supposed to be all about what we evolved eating. Eat lots of fruits for quick easy energy and complex carbs like sweet potatoes in the morning and throughout the day for energy all day.

Array

School
    Yeah I have been neglecting fruits for the last month an a bit. Normally I eat 4 pieces a day, and lately it's been zero.