Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin

Thinkin bout taking a break from JJ

Possibly considering taking some time off from this wonderful world to focus on weight loss. I feel like i'm never gonna progress in this sport until I do. I'm good at defensive rolling creating scrambles and riding positions but offensively i just dont feel like i can be were i want to be. I cant Triangle people cause how short and thick my legs are even arm bars are almost impossible when i try to run deep hook i cant clear my belly to make it effective. With that being said is there any personal trainers on here that suggest any good workouts I know cardio will be very important along with diet. Gonna be purchasing some kettle bells soon and start doing some cross fit style workouts along with trying to put in 20 miles a day on the bike. Any other suggestions would be great

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Suggestion for you brotha.. don't quit your jiu jitsu.. If you want to lose weight, do 2 a days. Guarantee it'll up your game, and make you drop weight. Replace at least 1 meal with a Protein shake. Begin a workout with that 20 mile bike ride if need be, but by all means, don't put off your jits. I've seen it happen many a time, and haven't seen them back.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu
    I'm no personal trainer or anything, but if you're interested take a look at DDP Yoga. It's a great way to lose weight, and it'll help your flexibility on the mat a lot. Here's a video demo of one of the workouts:

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Stair masters and treadmill s can burn many more calories compared to the bike in the same amount of time if you work hard.

Array

School
    I seen the ddp yoga bout the one dude that lost all the weight and got back to running and such very inspirational

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    Suggestion for you brotha.. don't quit your jiu jitsu.. If you want to lose weight, do 2 a days. Guarantee it'll up your game, and make you drop weight. Replace at least 1 meal with a Protein shake. Begin a workout with that 20 mile bike ride if need be, but by all means, don't put off your jits. I've seen it happen many a time, and haven't seen them back.

Its just frustrating when class is all drilling which is a good thing but i cant do the drills cause my body just wont do the positions...I have a decent jj knowledge but its very upseting when you can do simple things even darce chokes and such are almost impossible for me cause my arms arent long enough to get around my weight class of guys.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHamp View Post
    Its just frustrating when class is all drilling which is a good thing but i cant do the drills cause my body just wont do the positions...I have a decent jj knowledge but its very upseting when you can do simple things even darce chokes and such are almost impossible for me cause my arms arent long enough to get around my weight class of guys.
    i feel you brotha. ive seen guys drop weight like no other. 300 pounder down to 160 lbs. Do everything. you may not be able to do the drills perfectly, but you'll break a sweat and burn calorie, all the while, not taking time away from the jits.

As an analogy in another sport, one wouldn't stop playing football because he was a Guard and wanted to play linebacker. He doesn't drop football to go lift weights and try to lose weight. He switches his diet, he runs more, he tries harder and he hustles. He still goes to practice too. Nothing can prepare him to be a linebacker like actually performing like a linebacker in practice.

In the same respect, nothing but jiu jitsu will benefit your jiu jitsu. Why not up your game and challenge yourself with goals of weight loss at the same time?

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I feel ya I just went up 40lbs and can tell the difference rolling with someone 6 foot and someone 5'7 is completely different. I agree getting your weight down will help and it can be faster than you think if you're dedicated. Don't stop jits though even if its once a week.

I understand where you're coming from. Whenever I teach class, there's a couple 250+lbs guys that simply can't do some of the warm ups or techniques because of the reasons you've stated. They end up sitting on the side a lot. I agree with Mr. Slick though, don't quit BJJ. Every time you can't do a move or drill, let that be extra fuel for the fire to get in shape and diet. If the jits isn't working you out enough, then get on a bike or do some cardio after until you're satisfied. It's gonna be hell but the rewards you'll reap from this will go beyond just getting better at jiu jitsu. Good luck dude!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Man taking a break is a bad idea. Just switch up your training a bit but keep at it.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast