Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Integrated MMA Sunshine Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    With all the world champion GI players out there doing Mma there is not one who is known for having an incredible guard or mount.

Why?

Because according to Rickson & Roger Gracie most of traditional Bjj is useless in Mma.
    If you are serious about a career in Mma, do not ignore Rickson and Roger.

Master the 10p system
    Woh, should of seen my face after I saw you respond :P :P

You need to open more schools in Aus bro! One in Brisbane would be off chops!

Thanks for the advice everyone some really valid points, I think that the main issue for sure is just quality of competition in my area. I like the idea of training with the gi and not using its advantages, but overall I think after these discussions the best bet it just to get in the car and drive our sister school that has more professional fighters training.

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hannan View Post
    Hey guys! Sorry I'm sure this has been asked a lot but wasn't able to find it after a few searches.

Basically Im am training for future MMA fights, I come from a boxing background but love every aspect of MMA.

I really want my Jiu Jitsu game to tighten up and go to the next level, I also like the idea of belts :P, as my MMA school doesn't support it. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be smart to go to a gi jiu jitsu class once or twice a week. As when I talk to people who train in both they always say that that Gi tightens up there game, but then when I watch mastering the system there so many crazy advance moves to learn would I be better off not bothering with gi chokes etc?

Just wanted to get the opinion of some high lvl no gi grapplers, thanks a lot guys

p.s. first exhibition MMA fight for those interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye9GJ...k_bFYw&index=5
    Hi Robbie,

Knowing a little about the club you train at, I can understand you wanting to broaden your game. The training at Integrated is great but they can be a bit narrow in their approach to grappling as it is MMA focused.

Where were you thinking of doing BJJ? I'm pretty sure Infinity do no-gi some nights.

You are always welcome to come down and train in Brisbane at Fightcross MMA. We have gyms at Geebung and Northlakes and while we do have gi and no-gi classes we are pretty lax about it and most of our fighters never wear one.

Plus, we do a lot of 10p stuff

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    The answer is simple. Train Gi to get better at the Gi, Train No-Gi to get better at No-Gi.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Integrated MMA Sunshine Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C View Post
    Hi Robbie,

Knowing a little about the club you train at, I can understand you wanting to broaden your game. The training at Integrated is great but they can be a bit narrow in their approach to grappling as it is MMA focused.

Where were you thinking of doing BJJ? I'm pretty sure Infinity do no-gi some nights.

You are always welcome to come down and train in Brisbane at Fightcross MMA. We have gyms at Geebung and Northlakes and while we do have gi and no-gi classes we are pretty lax about it and most of our fighters never wear one.

Plus, we do a lot of 10p stuff
    Hey Aaron, Im in Thailand for the next 3 weeks training, but would love to pop in and have a roll. Would obviously have to ask my coach first though as you can imagine dont want to burn any bridges. But I love training with different styles and peoples

I just love competition and want start doing BJJ comps aswell as fight. Managed to get third in the beginner bracket at Tiger so was happy with that for a 1st comp - of to BJJ class now actually

Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    If its for mma, trainin in the Gi will only give you habits that won't work in mma such as using collars n sleeves to execute subs and sweeps.

Focus on no gi for mma. Learn to use the clinch, over hooks and under hooks.

This is the point of 10th planet. To develop effective grappling for mma

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hannan View Post
    Hey Aaron, Im in Thailand for the next 3 weeks training, but would love to pop in and have a roll. Would obviously have to ask my coach first though as you can imagine dont want to burn any bridges. But I love training with different styles and peoples

I just love competition and want start doing BJJ comps aswell as fight. Managed to get third in the beginner bracket at Tiger so was happy with that for a 1st comp - of to BJJ class now actually
    Sounds good man! Our MMA coach is actually a student of Dannys so I can't imagine they'd mind

our schools details: http://www.fightcross.com/
    add me on fb if you want: http://www.facebook.com/aaron.claxton

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    So really your name should be paul10pjj then, right?
    lol had that name before I started jiu jitsu, MMA nut

This is something i have been struggling with in my head for a while now, but from a little different point of view. I dont ever plan on fighting mma, i use bjj for fitness, stress relief, and self defense. I have only trained at a tenth planet school, however i really enjoy playing in the gi with guys after class and stuff, even though i dont know alot about the grips and whatnot. My question is what does everyone feel about a mixture of both gi and no gi as far as a purely self defense standpoint. Obviously is the attacker has on a tshirt gi would be useless, but what if they are wearing pants and a heavy shirt or jacket. Wouldnt it give you even more advantage over them if you use gi techniques. I would love to hear master eddies take on this. That being said if i could only pick one style for self defense it woukd be no gi, purely because you are prepared no matter what they are wearing.

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris "Beowulf" Burchell View Post
    This is something i have been struggling with in my head for a while now, but from a little different point of view. I dont ever plan on fighting mma, i use bjj for fitness, stress relief, and self defense. I have only trained at a tenth planet school, however i really enjoy playing in the gi with guys after class and stuff, even though i dont know alot about the grips and whatnot. My question is what does everyone feel about a mixture of both gi and no gi as far as a purely self defense standpoint. Obviously is the attacker has on a tshirt gi would be useless, but what if they are wearing pants and a heavy shirt or jacket. Wouldnt it give you even more advantage over them if you use gi techniques. I would love to hear master eddies take on this. That being said if i could only pick one style for self defense it woukd be no gi, purely because you are prepared no matter what they are wearing.
    The collar choke is one dangerous weapon to have in your arsenal for any attacker in a leather jacket

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hughes View Post
    The collar choke is one dangerous weapon to have in your arsenal for any attacker in a leather jacket
    yeah I could definitely ezekiel the fuck outta dudes with my superdry jacket for sure haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast