Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Integrated MMA Sunshine Coast

Should I train in Gi for overall Jiu Jitsu game?

Hey guys! Sorry I'm sure this has been asked a lot but wasn't able to find it after a few searches.

Basically Im am training for future MMA fights, I come from a boxing background but love every aspect of MMA.

I really want my Jiu Jitsu game to tighten up and go to the next level, I also like the idea of belts :P, as my MMA school doesn't support it. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be smart to go to a gi jiu jitsu class once or twice a week. As when I talk to people who train in both they always say that that Gi tightens up there game, but then when I watch mastering the system there so many crazy advance moves to learn would I be better off not bothering with gi chokes etc?

Just wanted to get the opinion of some high lvl no gi grapplers, thanks a lot guys

p.s. first exhibition MMA fight for those interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye9GJ...k_bFYw&index=5

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Are there any legit no gi schools in your area? Personally I don't think you need the gi to be better at no gi. But if you don't have any really good no gi training partners training in the gi would be better than nothing.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    If you take a Gi class.. You arent forced to use the grips. Just pretend theyre in a rashgaurd/tights and dont use it against them. Then you get the benefits of constantly grappling partners with an advantage over you. If you can escape their guards while theyre grabbing your sleeve/collar.. you can sure as heck do it easier when they only have your neck/wrist to work with.

But Im with Brent.. If youre not planning on competing in a Gi.. It would probably be better to invest that time into NoGi/MMA. Soccer players can probably kick a football decently.. But if you want to be the best punter/kicker in Football.. you practice with a football 100 percent of the time. Just my thoughts though. Im definitely not "high level" by any means.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Allen View Post
    But Im with Brent.. If youre not planning on competing in a Gi.. It would probably be better to invest that time into NoGi/MMA. Soccer players can probably kick a football decently.. But if you want to be the best punter/kicker in Football.. you practice with a football 100 percent of the time. Just my thoughts though. Im definitely not "high level" by any means.
    Great philosophy!

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    More mat time is never a bad time. If gi increases your mat time, then go for it. Just don't sacrifice nogi mat time for gi mat time.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    With all the world champion GI players out there doing Mma there is not one who is known for having an incredible guard or mount.

Why?

Because according to Rickson & Roger Gracie most of traditional Bjj is useless in Mma.
    If you are serious about a career in Mma, do not ignore Rickson and Roger.

Master the 10p system
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    More mat time is never a bad time. If gi increases your mat time, then go for it....
    I agree 100%.

e2a - if I only did no-gi I would only be able to train a couple of sessions per week. It all really depends on what is available to you (classes/schedule/location etc). Sometimes you just have to make the most of what you got available.
    However I do adopt a the 10p style even in the gi. I very rarely use the grips etc. Always the hooks.
    Last edited by Sam Sales; 04-10-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    Looking at it logically, fighting in MMA you won't be wearing a gi, so training in one wouldn't make much sense. However, at my club we have a couple of MMA guys that come to train most sessions because they feel their technique is improved when training in the gi.

Hard for me to answer though because I don't do MMA, so this is just relaying what my training partners told me. Like Gray said also, it's all about mat time. Ultimately, the more hours you put in the better you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    With all the world champion GI players out there doing Mma there is not one who is known for having an incredible guard or mount.

Why?

Because according to Rickson & Roger Gracie most of traditional Bjj is useless in Mma.
    If you are serious about a career in Mma, do not ignore Rickson and Roger.

Master the 10p system
    Braulio Estima and Roger Gracie?

We haven't seen any guard work to note, but both have a very dangerous mount in MMA. Not to mention Roger's back control.
    Last edited by brianspinaltap; 04-10-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmma101 View Post
    Hard for me to answer though because I don't do MMA
    So really your name should be paul10pjj then, right?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast