Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post

Bjj guys fail for not trusting their bjj. Maia is a great example.
    Maia is a great example of adapting his bjj for mma. JJ won't work if you can't get into a grappling situation.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    I totally agree with bobby. Get to the situation is the key. What frustrating me when I was watching Vinny is that I know how bad ass he is in Jiu Jitsu and even Joe Rogan was saying that Vinny been "working on" his muy thai / stand up. Ok so in a fight like that, why not go to your strong game 1st? You are a world champion black belt, creat the situation. I don't know what it means to be a world champion black belt, I just know that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. Creating the situation to use what you are great at, not trying to "work on" something you are not good at yet while facing a guy like Phil. That's just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Taking Phil down is fucking insanely hard. Once on the ground Phil's one objective is to disengage and box, which he is better at. Phil is amazing more than Vinny is bad. Vinny's still a murderer who ent up against a full prepared and executed game plan. Any body criticizing Vinny has never went up against that level of competion. Sometimes they have the ability to completely nullify your strengths.
    Agree 100% with Bobby.

I also believe although Vinny was outclassed on his feet by Phil, his standup has greatly improved over the last few years. His standup performance was nothing to be ashamed of. In fact I think he should be proud of the strides he has made in that area of his game.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    The Fact That Vinny Was Even Able To Take Phil Down At All Was Impressive. Thats The Advantage Wrestlers Have In Mma. They Control Where The Fight Takes Place.

Phil Saw The Difference In The Striking And Used His WrestlingTo Keep It There. Smart Guy.

You Can Bet That Vinny Didnt Choose To Stand With Phil.
    He Had One Chance To Finish Phil After The First Take Down And Missed It. At The Highest Level Sometimes That One Chance Is All You Get.

Id Have To Disagree About Jiu Jitsu Being The Least Important Though.Damien Is Eating The 170 Div. Alive Right Now With Jj.
    Gsp Isnt A Great Wrestler Either. He Has A Good Single And A Good Double, But His Entries And Timing On His Takedowns Comes From His Karate.

Those Are His Words.

He However Does Have A Bjj Black Belt.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    (Insert) Jj Love

Why Does My Phone Always Capitalize everything.....

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    I know I'll hear shit. But currently at the highest level of MMA (ufc) and the top contenders. BJJ is the least important art in MMA.
    How dare you?!
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    I know I'll hear shit. But currently at the highest level of MMA (ufc) and the top contenders. BJJ is the least important art in MMA.
    Currently. Just wait.

Regardless it is because it is so respected that the game has evolved around it. It must be addressed so much so that game plans are built around avoiding it. We just gotta learn better ways to inject it. Oh, and we will.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Jiu jitsu is jiu jitsu. MMA is MMA.

Striking without takedown defense (wrestling) won't get you far

Wrestling without bjj will get you subbed

Bjj without the ability to get it to the ground will lead to losses

The Strikers and Wrestlers have done a better job overall adapting there game

There are also other factors like judging, gloves, round length, stand ups, etc...that have hurt the BJJ guys

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Jack: I respectfully disagree. BJJ is not the least important. Its the person who is not sticking to their strong aspect to their game. Mir tried to box, Vinny tried to box. They only tried to take down when they are worned out and its almost impossible to take down a wrestler when they are sweaty and tired. If they stick with what they know and go for it, the outcome might have been to their favor.
    In the almighty words of Iron Mike Tyson (team lloyd Irvin)....“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast