Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ

Is Judo obsolete in bjj?

I just competed at the Ontario international jiu jitsu championships and everybody was sitting on their butts. Being a judo black belt this made me a little frustrated that I couldn't get into my game which would bring them right into my bjj game. My question is mainly for the wrestlers and judoka who have found 10p, is there a way in bjj competition to drag my opponent into standing technique or at the very least make him frustrated or even afraid of pulling guard?

Oh and by the way getting closer to that podium. Continuing to shake off the competition rust after a long layoff and getting back to tourneys last month. Thanks to coach Adlai for the truck transition off of a failed electric chair, used at tourney.

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    not obselete, but alot of people who start with zero grappling experiance are just more comfortable butt scooting, id love to play and learn some no gi judo

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Fuck no it's not obsolete. You'll get the butt scooter and the guard pullers, sure. There are a lot of great Sutemi-Waza throws that transition well to the ground. Harai tsurikomi ashi is good if you a offensive pace pushing style, Drop Tai Otoshi is one of my favorites, just gotta get before they try to take your back, these are all Gi techniques, haven't really tried adapting my Judo to No-Gi yet though I have hit a couple drop seoinages but haven't really been comfortable without my grips lol. Coach Zog really knows his shit in that field, he would be the best person to ask. If we ever meet in comp, I'll stand with you dude, shit would be fun.

Array

School
    At the tournament every one I went against sat as soon as I touched them. Don't know if they knew if I was a judoka or if this is jus the trend of bjj competition. Frustrating for years of judo practice to be neutralized by the simple action of sitting down not even with the pretense of sutemi waza to enter into ne waza (ground work).

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I believe rose grace is trying to eliminate butt scooting in the events she does, by instituting some new rules.

I was worrying that you can't even execute a judo style take down even if it is a sacrifice throw. Ive watched alot of comp vids now and I dont see hard takedowns of any kind. No judo being used and not even aggressive takedowns like you see in wrestling. I see hand fighting and shitty shooting. Usually even on shitty takedown attempts the guy being shot on pulls guard instead of stuffing it. Will they be pissed at comps if someone is really shooting and taking people down hard or executing clean but hard judo?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Guard passing. Become a monster at it. If they know you'll pass they will think of a different strategy next time. If you can't pass then you need to work on your passing anyway.

When someone flops on us we don't hesitate. We are all over them instantly trying to make them regret it. The Marcelo series plus all the fly over passes can overwhelm a butt scooter quick.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Guard passing. Become a monster at it. If they know you'll pass they will think of a different strategy next time. If you can't pass then you need to work on your passing anyway.

When someone flops on us we don't hesitate. We are all over them instantly trying to make them regret it. The Marcelo series plus all the fly over passes can overwhelm a butt scooter quick.
    Knowledge ^^^
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    I like the rolling kimura for a guy playing the butt scoot game.
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Portland Moon Head/Instructor
    My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/monzon421
    Use the discount code DEADORCHARD at Phalanxfc.com to get %15 off any purchase.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post

nice.

Array

School
    Deffinetly gonna be hitting the Marcelo series hard and drilling my guard passes until I see that look of desperation on my partners face when he is in guard. Thanks family. Any mts or DVD suggestions?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast