Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness

Recommendations for the best way to do a Submission Only Tournament

Ive been given the go ahead to host a sub only tournament, but Im not sure as to the best way to go about doing it. This is new to me but I have to put it al together to get it done. I figured I would just try to take the best parts and ideas I could find and mesh them together.

I dont know how many people are going to show so it will probably have to be absolute. I kinda like the idea of everybody drawing at random to see who goes up against who.

Anybody have any advice on things to look out for ahead of time or what the best tourneys are to base the rules from?

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    On what scale are you trying to do this thing?

Array

School
    Enough to fit in all this mat space. Teens to adult I guess

panorama pic of matted area

Pic for an example of the space

Pic for an example of the space

Extra (thin type) puzzle mat space in the background if needed

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    Derek Stewart of Omaha does the Midwest Submission Challenge which is a submission only tournament. I'm sure you could find his contact information on here if you look under Omaha in the locations tab so I suggest reaching out to him to see what has worked for his tournament in the past.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Sean, when doing sub only, Rose Gracie seems to have it down. Just make sure the lower divisions aren't foot locking eachother.

Since its sub only, points are pointless. All you gotta have is a ref standing there calling out illegal moves or ready to stop the match when someone taps, or is too stubborn to tap.

Get a bracket going. There probably some sort of bracketing software out there. Ill get te name of the ones my boys use.
    Don't do only open weight. Minimum, say 4-6 weight divisions with 15-20 lb increments. Below 139.9, 140-155, 156-170, 171-185, 186-205, 205+. For example.

Since its your tourney you can decide whatever rules you want, say, in a tie. Rose just says no sub, no advance.

10-15 minutes rounds. Same day weighins.
    Also separate by experience level(beg, int, advanced). Don't do novice because people will try to sandbag to get a medal. Maybe if you had a bunch of people, but for a smaller event this should be okay.

It's all fairly straightforward. Ill have to put you in touch with Japan Jeff. He's got these down pat as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    Sean, when doing sub only, Rose Gracie seems to have it down. Just make sure the lower divisions aren't foot locking eachother.

Since its sub only, points are pointless. All you gotta have is a ref standing there calling out illegal moves or ready to stop the match when someone taps, or is too stubborn to tap.

Get a bracket going. There probably some sort of bracketing software out there. Ill get te name of the ones my boys use.
    Don't do only open weight. Minimum, say 4-6 weight divisions with 15-20 lb increments. Below 139.9, 140-155, 156-170, 171-185, 186-205, 205+. For example.

Since its your tourney you can decide whatever rules you want, say, in a tie. Rose just says no sub, no advance.

Also separate by experience level(beg, int, advanced). Don't do novice because people will try to sandbag to get a medal. Maybe if you had a bunch of people, but for a smaller event this should be okay.

It's all fairly straightforward. Ill have to put you in touch with Japan Jeff. He's got these down pat as well.
    Rick if you PM the name of that software when you get the name I would greatly appreciate it

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Nice post Rick.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    It might be worth while to listen to the last 30 min of eddies podcast with rose Gracie. In the last 30 min (after saying "well it's time we wrap this up" lol) they talk about their different perspectives on sub only comp and you will definetly here some helpful points.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post

thanks for the great tips.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by michael h View Post
    It might be worth while to listen to the last 30 min of eddies podcast with rose Gracie. In the last 30 min (after saying "well it's time we wrap this up" lol) they talk about their different perspectives on sub only comp and you will definetly here some helpful points.
    good idea. thanks for the time area. i was trying to remember what their different ideas were exactly