Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by watty31 View Post
    It's a bit silly just to callout bravo fans. I will agree that lower belts are more likely to argue but I have heard many reports of sensei's dismissing 10th planet. Obviuosly I carn't see the context of the arguements you have had, but considering you have said they are "way over-inflating some things" but at the same time have never tried alot of the 10th planet techniques seems a little suspect that maybe you don't understand the full implications of a technique. I don't want to turn this into a flame war but if you want a nice rational discussion that would be cool.
    Oh make no mistake, I didnt mean to call out only Bravo folks, the BJJ guys have plenty who say things just as foolish. The low belts on both sides of the discussion IME are the ones "creating" all the controversey. When I say bravo folks exaggerate, its as if they feel by beating Royler, Eddie somehow nullified all the BJJ that came before. That rather rash statement sort of ignores that eddie spent a huge amount of time getting a "traditional" BJJ black belt, and was trounced in his ADCC match after the one he had with royler.

He has some good stuff, and is an innovator. I never said a thing about his techniques, other than endorsed the ones I use. However, something else that seems big in 10th planet way of thinking, is alot of the guard stuff requires some specific physical attributes. The biggest strength of BJJ, whether we talk "traditional" or 10th planet, is being able to take the tools that fit you and use them to best complement your game. If all the tools start to require a narrow set of physical parameters to perform.......it begins to limit the art, regardless of what the art is IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Stachovak View Post
    Let's face it,it's all about the Gi. You take a decent wrestler,put him in with a BJJ purple,but take the Gi off,he get's tapped maybe once. Put that same guy in a gi,he gets tapped 20 times. Gi and NoGi are 2 seperate,but related sports. I really think some BJJ-ers regard the Gi as the source of their power! Not everyone in "traditional" Jiu Jitsu hates 10th p,but at the school I train at,the Rubber Guard hate runs deep.

"From the old you gain security,but from the new you gain the flow"=Bruce Lee

I dont know that I agree with this. I roll with guys who have started as D1 wrestlers for 4 years, and can catch them 3-5 times in 5 mins, and I am a purple belt. This is with no gi.

Array

School
    10th Planet
    i think on a smaller scale some of the old schoolers dont like eddie because of his open avocation of marijuana and maybe even conspiracy theories topped with what has already been mentioned.

fact is the system works and i think it scares them that eddie also has a "cool" factor with the younger generations.

Array

School
    Great White BJJ-Wausau Wi
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    I dont know that I agree with this. I roll with guys who have started as D1 wrestlers for 4 years, and can catch them 3-5 times in 5 mins, and I am a purple belt. This is with no gi.
    I see your point,but maybe you aren't as attached to the Gi as some schools. Things have changed quite a bit in the world,I've come to realize that maybe some guys I train with are stuck in th 90's...

I'm not quitting the school I'm at,but it's time to start putting some miles on the car and expanding my mind! 3 hours east of me= 10th P Minnesota,3 hours south of me = Duke Roufus Gym (Red Schaefer). See what I'm sayin'?

Quote Originally Posted by D.Stachovak View Post
    I see your point,but maybe you aren't as attached to the Gi as some schools. Things have changed quite a bit in the world,I've come to realize that maybe some guys I train with are stuck in th 90's...

I'm not quitting the school I'm at,but it's time to start putting some miles on the car and expanding my mind! 3 hours east of me= 10th P Minnesota,3 hours south of me = Duke Roufus Gym (Red Schaefer). See what I'm sayin'?

Thing is I dont like the thing, I *DO* however wear it to make me better all around as a grappler and at BJJ, I also do like some of the kimono specific things it has, but I also train a good deal without it. However in all honesty I dont do anything with it, that I cant do without it, except maybe a triangle, by legs are pretty short and thick, and I am much better at getting them without a gi than with one.

I feel, folks are going to be their best learning with it and without it. Lots of people are on one side of that fence or the other though, I prefer to learn both.

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    stlnl = A TROLL!!!!!

I fail to see anything I said that is even remotely trollish. But I guess it depends on perception I guess.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    The biggest strength of BJJ, whether we talk "traditional" or 10th planet, is being able to take the tools that fit you and use them to best complement your game. If all the tools start to require a narrow set of physical parameters to perform.......it begins to limit the art, regardless of what the art is IMO.
    Im one of the least naturally flexible people alive. Eddie said stretch in front of the TV, be diligent about your flexibility. I have been. It took about three months to go from as stiff as a plank to mates I roll with bitching about my flexible legs.

I might only be a white belt, but its pretty obvious to me that increasing your flexibility increases the number of things you can do. Iv heard the line that 10th Planet stuff is limited to a handful of people with the right physical attributes, but its complete nonsense. If I can do it, anyone can.

All Eddie asked was that you spend some time stretching a squeezing. If an instructor doesnt ask you to do that, who is really the one limiting the art?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    Im one of the least naturally flexible people alive. Eddie said stretch in front of the TV, be diligent about your flexibility. I have been. It took about three months to go from as stiff as a plank to mates I roll with bitching about my flexible legs.

I might only be a white belt, but its pretty obvious to me that increasing your flexibility increases the number of things you can do. Iv heard the line that 10th Planet stuff is limited to a handful of people with the right physical attributes, but its complete nonsense. If I can do it, anyone can.

All Eddie asked was that you spend some time stretching a squeezing. If an instructor doesnt ask you to do that, who is really the one limiting the art?
    I am very flexible as well, as much from years of kickboxing as well as BJJ, however, I do have a badly scarred ACL from a partial tear I got years ago. My knee, isnt going to do some things, its also the reason I dont use alot of closed guard. Flexibility isnt the issue for me. The fact that my leg just isnt going to do some things, and alot of them are tied into the closed guard work, sort of creates a problem.

Array

School
    10th planet jiu jitsu sthlm, Sweden
    well..I believe that itīs most the old school BJJ academies (some how the Gracieīs, respect Helio). But they are also against everything outside the Gracie box! donīt get me wrong, thereīs always Gracie academies that could have a opened mind. Itīs at least not the second generation Gracieīs. If you check the Mendes brothers! they do a lot of fu***d up stuff.

I have a BJJ academy! Iīm so opened minded that Iīm doing GI version of the 10th system (my perspective)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast