Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Can Opener... kosher or no?

I've never been great at breaking the feet open in a training partner's guard, but lately I've been finding some success using the can opener. I've had it done to me in the past, but started fine tuning how I use it after watching an Erick Paulson dvd. No one at my gym has complained to me, but I wanna double check w/the forum on how the technique is viewed by the BJJ community.

Array

School
    BJJ India (Professor Rodrigo Teixeira BJJ)
    I used to use that before but i think it dsnt work well with more flexible and wrestlers, i think you saw the CSW series DVD

My gym it's a no go... Isn't it illegal in most BJJ tournaments. It's a probably a good technique to learn and perfect for street and for if you're doing MMA. I dunno... If everyone at your gym is educated on it and they don't have a problem I don't see why not. Just don't develop any habits of using it in a BJJ tournament where its illegal.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    Definitely a no no in my books.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Array

School
    10th planet Birmingham UK
    a no no in my books, but not for the neck crank reason but because it sets up armbar counters.
    in my eyes any move that has you reaching up to someones head while inside their guard should be avoided most of the time
    10Wo

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    No kosher. It's a douche move, but it's also illegal at IBJJF tournaments, including two hands on the head to tighten the triangle. There are much better options than the Can Opener, such as learning how to break the guys guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    This is def a nogo, and it also illegal in every tourney that I have been to(non-ibjjf).

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I don't use it from guard but find myself using it a
    Bit when passing. Ill go to pass and he will Basicly
    Pop up Into butterfly, I usually grab the head and neck , can opener for a second and switch to a guillotine or darce and then pass.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I use it sometimes. It's no more of a shady move than the twister, in my opinion. It's a neck crank. We play and encourage a rule set that says every submission should be allowed; that includes neck cranks.

That having been said, if you aren't very aware and sensitive to the dangers it's incredibly easy to counter.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I don't have an issue with it, like Brandon said its an easy counter, and guys will experience it in competitions, best to learn and deal with it in the gym first.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast