Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am confused.

I am confused.

Can someone make sense of this quote by one of the instructors of one of the gyms I train at? "it doesn't mean you should be a higher belt if you're a blue belt and consistently tapping out brown and black belts. It just means you're a really good blue and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a good thing you're doing that." I tried for a year to figure out what he meant by this. Any ideas guys?

This same guy also said "even though you train over 12 times a week, you've still only been a blue for a year and even though these other guys only train 2x a week, they've been blue for 3 years and that's why I'm promoting them". Let's just say I overheard him saying this to someone else. Personally I don't care about belts at all, I'm just trying to make sense of this as it has never made any sense to me and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this?

He's putting way too much emphasis on time in rank.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa/10th Planet Buena Park
    Sounds like he knows you can pull off a technique well but you haven't gained the experience, knowledge, or wisdom he feels that is necessary to promote you to the next rank.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    You gotta recognize talent. Sometimes people think they are a belt but really aren't that because they you certain fundamentals. But I know you are the ish, so they gotta recognize game. Nothing is more telling than your performance at major tournaments, however.

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    Must make more sense in portugese.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael h View Post
    Must make more sense in portugese.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I don't know whats harder to understand, your instructor or Slick's post
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I don't know whats harder to understand, your instructor or Slick's post
    +1
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Oh no, I wasn't talking about myself getting promoted. He didn't direct these things at me, he said it as a general statement to everyone. I'm not saying I deserve to be promoted or anything. I was just wondering what he meant and he's not portuguese lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Salinas View Post
    Sounds like he knows you can pull off a technique well but you haven't gained the experience, knowledge, or wisdom he feels that is necessary to promote you to the next rank.
    I agree that this happens a lot and it's not right to promote a guy if he's one of those guys who are exceptional at one move.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast