Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago

Wrestling

With the heavy infusion of wrestling into the system I have had a bunch of questions at the gym about the differences with wrestling and styles so I figured I would share this info up here as well for those that dont have a wrestling background. A quick breakdown.

Most common form:

Folkstyle(Kids(IKWF), jr highschool, highschool, college)

Other styles(after folkstyle season, olympics):
    Greco-Roman
    Freestyle

From TheMat(USA Wrestling)
    The Greco-Roman Style and Freestyle basically differ as follows:

In Greco-Roman Wrestling, it is strictly forbidden to grasp the
    opponent below the belt line, or to trip him or to use the legs actively
    to perform any action.

In Freestyle wrestling, however, it is permissible to grasp the legs of
    the opponent, to trip him and to use the legs actively to perform any
    action.

Sidenote: Wrestling is nowhere near just doubles and singles. That would be like saying BJJ is triangles and armbars or Judo is just throws.

Enjoy Killers! Im no expert but all I can tell you is if your competing wrestling will help. For those that dont believe there is only one golden path Judo, Sambo, Catch, and Sumo all could add to your game.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    Enjoy Killers! Im no expert but all I can tell you is if your competing wrestling will help. For those that dont believe there is only one golden path Judo, Sambo, Catch, and Sumo all could add to your game.
    Couldn't agree more. It gets said time and time again, but good wrestling allows you to dictate when or if you go to the ground. That's just a ridiculously important tool.

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Folkstyle came about from a water down Catch style for American youth. Many years and rule changes have changed it into what it is today. Catch is the source of a lot of different styles.

Array

School
    Vitor Shaolin BJJ Portsmouth
    is catch different than "catch as catch can"? I went to a country fair the other day and saw this old folk style (Old English) and was pretty amazed, shame it's pretty much died out here..

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by Hext View Post
    is catch different than "catch as catch can"? I went to a country fair the other day and saw this old folk style (Old English) and was pretty amazed, shame it's pretty much died out here..
    From what I've seen, heard and read Catch is the same as Catch As Catch Can. You can still find CACC gyms around. I believe the OG place, The Snake Pit in Wigan, is still open. There's definitely a place in Preston.
    You can search Lancashire Wrestling on Google and find gyms if you're interested.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    The bolt wrestling series is pretty good, I have the DVD.

It has a belt system imposed on it so that people learn moves in an efficient order, similar to how you should learn shrimping and bridging before escapes that utilize those movements.

But you forgot to mention pro wrestling with your styles lol

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Wrestling is crucial for high level competition.

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Catch Wrestling, Catch as Catch Can is the same thing. Different countries have different flavors. Japan is pretty much always mixed up grappling styles. American Catch ended up as carnival wrestling after Pro Wrestling was too fixed for the taste of real wrestlers. They used to take on all comers for $5 bucks a pop. American Carny style catch is heavily mat work based and has a lot of the same flavor as folkstyle back in the 1900's. Lancashire style or Wigan style came out of Billy Riley's gym in Wigan, England. Karl Gotch and Billy Robinson both came out of this gym. They seem to be more Freestyle or Greco influenced from what I gather, but at the end of the day it's all wrestling to me. Karl and Billy both went on to teach in Japan, some of their students include Fujiwara, Suzuki, Sakuraba, and Tamura. Their influence also led to the creation of Pancrase and Shooto. Shooto of course heavily influenced Erik Paulson. So yeah.. Catch influences many different countries and styles. That's barely scratching the surface.

Array

School
    10p Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    The bolt wrestling series is pretty good, I have the DVD.

It has a belt system imposed on it so that people learn moves in an efficient order, similar to how you should learn shrimping and bridging before escapes that utilize those movements.

But you forgot to mention pro wrestling with your styles lol
    Will check out! Thank you man

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    I used to think that my top competitors would work on their wrestling outside of jiu jitsu class, but most just don't have the time. So that's why I added wrestling to the Hq curriculum. 10pwestla, 10pSanFran and other moons have been infusing wrestling into their curriculums for a while now but for Hq it's only been about a year and a half. Never too late to get it together
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast