Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th planet Melbourne/ GVJJ

How would you change Metamoris?

Other than never having Brendan Schaub back ever...EVER!

The main issues for me are the boring Gi matches.

Now I'm not hating on the Gi and we've all seen shitty No-Gi matches but that's gotta be fixed.

I think there is a place for the Gi fights, I jst think they need to be real selective on who they choose to fight in them.
    Buchecha, Roger, Galvao, Marcelo, Kron, Lovato, Caio, Glover, the list goes on and on for these are the kind of guys who could have exciting matches even if they we're in those big blow up sumo suits.
    Those are the guys who should have Gi fights.

Keep the Judges- But they should hold a rank of Red/Black belt.

It should be at least 50/50 Gi and No-Gi matches, I would love it personally if it was all no-gi but really there's room for both and the Gracie's will never drop the Gi.
    Talking percentages going No-Gi, Gi, No-Gi, Gi, etc increases the percentages of exciting fast paced, viewer friendly matches and of people being less put off of by the slower fights.

As far as the contest rules I would implement a 1 minute countdown clock, where the combatants have that time to initiate a take down but if they fail they implement a sit down where they start in the centre from knees.

I agree with Master Eddies yellow card point idea, where as if an opponent is diliberately stalling or keeps standing to disengage he is shown to the judges that he has been found to be going against the nature of the competition.
    If nothing else this will make the evading or stalling fighter increase his urgency for a submission feeling his now losing the fight.

Bring back Dean Lister, Xande, Glover and Caio.
    Get Marcelo, Ryan Hall, Mendes Bros and don't ban Bill Cooper for something silly.

What do you guys think would improve the next Metamoris?

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    hey man i think its pretty interesting so far and im looking forward to lots of improvments etc. i think the Gi can be pretty damn exciting. i dunno about you guys but i thought the Galvao and Lovato gi fight was awesome. yellow card seems like a good idea but whats the punishment? do they get sent off? time out? points deducted? just looks bad in the judges eyes?

something needs to be done about takedowns, schaub showed us that. though the sped up version of the dance? cyborg bum shuffle? (it wasnt a fight) that they had was pretty good. maybe 5 minutes and on the knees. 1 minute is a crazy short time for them to get it on the ground.

more tenth planet guys in there would be cool

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I agree with everything you said.

Also, also make it like pride where the yellow card costs you a percentage of your money. Two yellows and say goodbye to half your check. One red and say goodbye to 90% of your check and get dq'd.

Array

School
    10th planet Melbourne/ GVJJ
    Galvao V Lavato was a great match, both those guys are on the list.
    I know what you mean about the 1 min takedown rule being to short.
    It should probably be 5 for the initial start of the contest but 1 min every time they go back to standing.
    I've heard some people say that if someone sits down the other person should have to take the top position but you run the ris of losing the spiral, de la riva, and Berimbolo stuff, and that's great viewing.
    Not sure how I feel about the yellow card costing money but it would one hell of a motivator ha ha!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Paying these guys to not lose, instead of paying them to win is what facilitates the stalling and lack of aggression. They need an incentive to take risks and attack. The yellow card would suffice. They also need less shuffling of the matches, and more hype behind the match-ups. They changed stuff around so much it was impossible to get excited about a match. hell I never knew the pairings.., and apparently neither did they! Im glad to see lots of subs in mma, but it's bad that the non ppv UFC card was a better grappling event than metamoris. They are fixing the matchup problem already with EddievRoyler. That's a real match, there's a reason it won't be boring, Eddie already stated that. That matchup is going to bring out the best in both guys. I'm sure there will be a sub finish. Hopefully Eddie via rubber guard.

Array

School
    DCU MMA
    I would take away the judges again. Give them more incentive to go for the finish.

I loved the GI matches last weekend, Nicollini vs Dern was awesome. I like JT Torres vs Victor Estima too. Only poor match was Schaub vs Cyborg IMO.

The next super fight I'd like to see after Eddie vs Royler would be Marcelo vs Pablo Popovitch, sub only would be a great match.
    Last edited by David Moore; 06-12-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Everyone would buy the event if Marcelo were on it, but I'm pretty sure he is retired...

Array

School
    DCU MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    Everyone would buy the event if Marcelo were on it, but I'm pretty sure he is retired...
    really? that's a pity. Marcelo in a sub only tournament or super fight against anyone would be super exciting.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by David Moore View Post
    really? that's a pity. Marcelo in a sub only tournament or super fight against anyone would be super exciting.
    Agreed, my heart sank when I found out he was retired...

Too caught up on this gi no-gi thing. Originally this card was a 50/50 split because the Ryan hall and Bill Cooper match was no-gi. It's not even a Gracie thing. We love seeing gi matches too. That's not the problem.

The problem is that there is not enough incentive as of now for competitors to go for the finish. Introducing the judges was a bad idea. I understand the desire for closure, or the feeling that someone won, but conciousously or not athletes that believe they can win without finishing will often do so.

We saw this with Victor Estima. He believed he had done enough with his footlock attacks to secure a victory so he rested and the judges gave him the draw for the conservative strategy. If you're gonna have judges you might as well have points.

Honestly I think metamoris 2 showed the value in points, because they entice action and movement. Back the the point, if you want submission only you have to do a few things:

- Only invite competitors that are entertaining and go for the kill. Even then, sit them down and stress that this isn't a tournament about winning and losing. It's about entertainment. If this doesn't happen, Metamoris will die quiet death. They can't afford another event like this.

- Athletes will use the rule system in place in order to win. Keep the no submission=draw format.

- I'm torn on this, but either award a submission bonus to BOTH competitors if a submission happens, or do not give submission bonuses at all. If someone is way down and in a bad spot they will be less likely to stall and hang on.

I'll try and think of more but that's the main stuff. Put exciting guys in there and let them know that this isn't a regular match. ironically Metamoris was SO MUCH LESS EXCITING than the Worlds/Mundials from the weekend before. Who would've guessed?

Quote Originally Posted by David Moore View Post
    I would take away the judges again. Give them more incentive to go for the finish.

I loved the GI matches last weekend, Nicollini vs Dern was awesome. I like JT Torres vs Victor Estima too. Only poor match was Schaub vs Cyborg IMO.

The next super fight I'd like to see after Eddie vs Royler would be Marcelo vs Pablo Popovitch, sub only would be a great match.
    Lol I assure you that you don't want to see Pablo Popovitch in a sub only match. Marcelo has already subbed him twice anyways. ADCC 2005 and 2007 finals. Wristlock and north-south choke. If you put Marcelo in a superfight it's Rafa Mendes or bust.

Rafa won't do a superfight with Marcelo though. Weight difference is too big. That's the only logical choice for a Marcelo garcia superfight. Anything else is less-good. Marcelo vs. Leandro Lo could be cool. Marcelo vs. galvao at this point could be cool, and even with 2 or 3 losses, Galvao is way improved now days.

Rafa x Marcelo is definitely what people want to see but I'll bet the bank it never goes down.

edit: I didn't mean to come off as rude about Pablo. I'm sure it'd be a fine match I just know that with Marcelo basically retired i would want to see him face people he hasn't already had a trilogy with
    Last edited by Mike Nall; 06-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast