Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10 Planet San Francisco

big red knee surgery :(

Hey guys its been awhile since I checked in with you guys sorry for that. I have been dealing with some health issues recently. Mainly my left knee. last monday i underwent knee surgery, patelar tendon graft and had my meniscus shaven. I doing my best to recover but my doctors dont think i will be ready for adcc

I am Still pretty much bed ridden and cant move without my crutches. The pain is Not too bad but this brace-
    /wrap combined with mostly laying down is driving crazy and making me uncomfertable. I have been doing all the exercises my doctor told me to and start my first pt sesssion tomorrow. Any advice or words of encouragement would be really appreciated. Thought i would detail my recovery here too.

Week 1
    Day 1- no pain until late night thanks to the nerve block, entire leg Feels numb. Icing as much as i can and staying ontop of my pain meds. Felt Very light headed and stomache was a little weird. Getting my cpm machine.
    Day 2-5 nerve block wearing off Very early in the morning. These were the worse days so far in terms of pain. Constipated As fuck. I dont know how i would have made it this far without my gf she has been great. First shit day 4 after surgery praise jesus!
    Day
    Day 7- pain is much better- now. Enough to cut my oxy dosage i
    In 1/2. Had sex for the first time since surgery. Sorry no pics lol. Going crazy not being able move around and more unforterable than in pain. Cpm machine up to 51. Doing 50-60 leg raises daily. First post op doc appointent and pt due tomorrow
    Last edited by BigRed; 07-01-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    Keep ya head up big man, we are all pulling for ya and know you'll be back destroying the comp scene again in no time!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    The only thing that I can say is that this too shall pass my friend. I know that right now it doesn't seem like it, but I promise you it will. I had medial meniscus repair on my left knee in January and having it on the right July 23rd. I was able to do a few classes before the right one went and it was a zen like experience. I had such calmness and clarity after the classes that I know I will recover and I will come back. I was extremely down with the first one but after the experience I had on the mats the right one is just a thing that has to be done before I can get back. I am by no means on the competitive level bc I have permanent injuries but I hope this helps

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    I did my ACL and meniscus years ago(rugby) and had my best years in the sport post surgery. Do all your physio, keep doing physio on it even after you don't think you need it anymore. And ice that thing as much as possible. They have made such major strides with this surgery in the past twenty years that it's not such a big deal anymore. It used to be a career ender and now most people are back in six months. That being said don't rush the comeback. Be patient and work hard and you'll be back to where you were before. Good luck!

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    These things happen bro, legs tend to break after kicking to much ass . Hopefully your invite will carry over to 2015 and you can Red Destroy all those fools. Get well soon!

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    hang in there. injuries suck but now is a good time to reflect and watch tons of instructionals

Array

School
    no school in the area
    If anyone can fight on the mat as you do , you can sit this one out ,take your time and let it heal ... I know it sucks big time . I can't roll no more . You will be back !

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu
    I tore my ACL in my right knee a while ago, I was only about 13 or 14 at the time. As a younger kid, the immobility was killing me especially since that summer we were getting our house reconstructed to put on a second floor and we had no A/C while I was unable to move. That damn machine that moves your knee 8 hours out of the day (maybe it's more, I can't remember) was Satan's structure as far as I was concerned.

As some of the guys have said before, this too shall pass. For me, I actually wasn't as involved with sports or physical activity back then (I tore it water tubing, if you can believe that), so it wasn't as bad for me as far as recovery for sports. However, having had injuries since I started BJJ, it's given me new perspective on how lucky I am that I haven't had issues with my ACL in my right knee.

I don't know you personally, Red, but for someone who is as talented as you are to make it to ADCC as a brown belt it's integral that you follow the PT and keep your damn head up! As much as it sucks to say, BJJ is not a safe sport/art to be in and it's not an option to tap if you land the wrong way or torque something; it just happens. By any means necessary, use this time to realize how much this means to you and your future, and do whatever it takes (no matter how frustrating) to recover the proper way.

PS - Just my 2 cents, but I know you're in California so if there's any chance you can make it to San Juan Capistrano and work with Gavin and the guys over at Sport Science Lab, they're incredible. GSP did his ACL rehab there, and Dominick Cruz is doing his there as well. For sports performance and optimal recovery, Gavin is a visionary and truly believes in utilizing and healing the body the right way to enhance performance. Just a suggestion, if you want send me a PM in case you're curious about them and what they do.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    You're a monster Red. You'll be back in no time. If you can work that hard on the mats, PT is nothing. Best wishes for a very speedy recovery!

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    That big ginger knee is gonna heal up in no time. Im out with a knee injury myself (just grade 2 mcl sprain) Guess its time to study up and pursue the budo in mental ways. heal up, best wishes.

and this,

Attachment 2124
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 07-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast