Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As a Ronin i rep 10p on my comp. shorts. My gym has become a Rigan Machado affiliate. But i will still rep 10p in nogi. If some one says i have to stop, well they will lose that monthly due and grappling partner. But like others have said here, so far every one is still open to 10p technique.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    A level-headed coach shouldn't have a problem with it as long as you're being fair and showing the same love to his school (making his patch just as visible and repping him equally). As far as techniques and coaches having problems with what you use, I think Ryan hit the nail on the head. Be respectful, but if he still wants to put limits on your game and seems unrelenting from that view, then maybe it would be best to find another gym.

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    When you register to compete, put yourself down as a competitor from your current school. Then put whatever patches you want on. I recently brought my MABJJ gi to a judo tournament, and I'm getting a Seahawks patch on my new blue gi.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    Im getting ready to compete for the first time. I came back to the art after a 10 year lay-off . . . I will be wearing 10th planet patch, Marcello Monteiro patch and am disappointed I cant find a CSW patch. I will also wear my school patch on my back. My school does all three and they are a huge part of my game. But I come from an open minded school. One of the reasons I quit was I wasn't learning anything from my old school and started watching Erik Paulson tapes . . .. once I would catch blue belts in submissions I was told I couldn't use the techniques because they weren't jiu jitsu. I agree you shouldn't wear an old school's patch . . . fortunately we have all three so no insult to anyone.

Good seeing you at the fit expo Chris

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    When you register to compete, put yourself down as a competitor from your current school. Then put whatever patches you want on. I recently brought my MABJJ gi to a judo tournament, and I'm getting a Seahawks patch on my new blue gi.
    This. The school gets your victory. When somebody asks you where you train, you also state your current school. I'm not down with any dress code, so long as its not just stupid. You rep what you want. It's his job to win you over and make you proud to rep his gym. If he's not doing that, and trying to force you too, that's his problem. I wouldn't be down.

Ryan is spot on.

Array

School
    Miami WMB(Alliance Miami)
    I would just rep my gym. You switched gyms right? Then show dedication to your gym rep your current gym.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I don't know wht I would do if someone/a coach told me I couldn't play rubberguard. We've had different people come in that moved close to our area that had already trained some 10th planet or went to a school previously, but they had went to the gyms closer to them first and been told 10th planet moves weren't allowed and that rubberguard will mess your knees up, etc, etc.. It's common, I think, for more traditional schools to not dig the 10p style. I don't blame them, clenching sucks, but hey it works! We have people tht drive 1-2 hours regularly. Do what suites you in that area.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    It's respectful to show your school some love. I can completely understand that. I would just do whatever felt best. If you want to rep everyone, do it. If you care more about your coaches feelings, then wear his patch. It's your decision in the end man.

Bobby is right about it being his job to make you want to support him.

Array

School
    10th Planet Oakland
    I couldnt have said it better
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan fortiN View Post
    This is how I feel. 1, this is your journey in the gentle art, and not theirs. you make your decisions, then find a dojo and instructor with the same mindset. 2, instructors that are in good control over their ego, and are secure in themselves and their techniques are very open minded. I personally train with both Master Eddie Bravo, and Master Rubens Cobrinha Charles. I see them wearing other teams rashguards, they dont have an issue with good technique, no matter where it comes from. Now do you want to disrespect someone in their own academy, no, so maybe its just not the dojo for you. I know I travel 100 miles, one way, just to train with these open minded, very talented individuals... and thats why... they let me be me, and help me become a better me!
    https://www.facebook.com/michael.hillebrand.77

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast