Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass

What gloves should I buy?

Looking for 14 maybe 16 oz gloves for bagwork and sparing. I already have mma gloves, looking for muay thai, mexican or american boxing style. Pardon the non-jiujitsu question.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Sam Sales

I like 'twins' gloves. Really well made etc.

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    fighting sports are a fav in my gym, very nice, made super well, i love lonsdales though, my fav for sure

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    I've been using the triumph united stormtrooper lace ups 16 oz and haven't had a fuck up yet

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    In my 15 years of training various striking arts: boxing, kickboxing, MMA, even traditional martial arts. There are good brands that offer different tiers of quality products. The top tier is what I recommend. All top tier gloves will be made of quality, real leather. I prefer the type with the laces AND the strap, but that just me. I've owned Grant, Fairtex, Century, Everlast, etc .. I'm forgetting some. The Century and Fairtex have been my favorite. The fairtex's leather is loose after years, the century is still tight and strong. Century did get a little soft with wear and you can hurt people more than you wanna with them now. While new, I prefered the Fairtex, but after 5-8years of wear, century is the best I've owned. Honestly, sounds cliche, but I dunno if they make em like they used to..

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Go with 14oz if you are under 175 or so, 16oz for ~175lbs up to ~200lbs, and 18oz or larger for heavyweight and up. Unless your coach forces you to buy a certain size glove, this is a good guideline. I also really like the mitten style mma training gloves (fingerless). They have close the same shock absorption as boxing gloves, and don't build bad striking habits or hinder grappling transitions.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Thanks guys great info. All the suggestion look like really good gloves. I had been looking at grant and fairtex where two I was looking at. Im kinda scared by century because they seem to make a range from cheap crap to very good, I supposed price will indicate which are which. (century now makes the official ufc glove)

I was leaning toward a boxing glove or muay this because we have boxing and muay thai at our gym and when we spar everyone else wears boxing gloves instead of mma gloves (partly because thats whats laying around the gym)

Whats up with using the same gloves for bagwork and sparing? Is this not a good idea for any reason? I understand the gloves will not live as long if I use them for bagwork.

Also what kind of quality is hayabusa? They look cool.

Thanks again.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I have Everlast (Mauy Thai version where the strap around the wrist is padded) for my gloves, and I try to go as big as possible (safer for everyone).

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Thanks guys great info. All the suggestion look like really good gloves. I had been looking at grant and fairtex where two I was looking at. Im kinda scared by century because they seem to make a range from cheap crap to very good, I supposed price will indicate which are which. (century now makes the official ufc glove)

I was leaning toward a boxing glove or muay this because we have boxing and muay thai at our gym and when we spar everyone else wears boxing gloves instead of mma gloves (partly because thats whats laying around the gym)

Whats up with using the same gloves for bagwork and sparing? Is this not a good idea for any reason? I understand the gloves will not live as long if I use them for bagwork.

Also what kind of quality is hayabusa? They look cool.

Thanks again.
    My MMA gloves are Hayabusa and are superb quality and fit. In general I find most Hayabusa products to be of good quality.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    My Century professional kickboxing gloves were $119.99 sometime in the very early 2000's. My Fairtex were 109.99 I think and bought probably 2 years later and wore out first. Century is known for cheap kids taekwondo sparring gear, but they offer a top line of combat equipment for decades that has always competed with the best brands. As I said, I prefer the Fairtex, other than they wear faster.
    Bag gloves usually aren't safety rated or approved or whatever, but lots of people spar with them anyway. They are usually a tad bit less expensive for the same quality. I don't buy bag gloves... $10 more for the contact rated ones? No brainer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast