Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

Racial sensitivity

In recent years... I'm not sure if it's due to social media or what but... it seems that more and more young black men are being killed while the assailants, clearly using excessive force, walk free.

Our 10th planet fan is very diverse. All colors and creeds. I assume up front that no one is racist... Overtly or subconsciously without realizing it.

In the wake of the Tray on case, I feel it somewhat necessary to warn my brothers about subtle racism so that you are not a victim or transgressor.

About me:

I'm a white looking Hispanic who has lived in rich and poor areas. In rich areas I was discriminated against. In poor areas, namely black neighborhoods, I was given a pass. I've been on both ends of racism. my point is that racism is much more real than people think. It seems people believe it's over because no one is being lynched or fire hosed. But racism has become much more subtle. It's become subconscious. It's been engrained in us. Its economic and cultural. Its handed down to us from our parents. Its been confirmed by some folks who fulfill stereotypes... because those stereotypes have been deemed hate worthy and fearful, while white stereotypes are simply annoyances and inconveniences. We fear the big black man on the sidewalk but don't bat an eye at the hot tempered roided out frat boy who has had 20 bat fights. We fear that some Hispanic kid is going to rob us but don't worry about sue happy neighbors looking to make a quick buck off of you.

I know that my white 10th planet bros have worked their assess of to get to where they are so they might be skeptical that things are harder for people of color. But I promise you, white privilege is real and darker skinned folks not only have to deal with all the crap you do, they have to shoulder the burden of everyday racism; both subtle and overt. I have literally experienced both sides.

My point: Don't diminish their experience until you've walked in their shoes. I'm sure most of you have lived a hard life. I'm taking nothing away from that. But black people (and other minorities) have to deal with the same issues, PLUS the burden of racism. All I'm saying is, try....try...at least try to be sensitive.

If you can be sensitive to people with disabilities, you can be sensitive to people who are economically and socially disadvantaged.

Yes, Tray on was a delinquent. Some of the media villifies him for smoking weed. Half of 10th planet smokes. He is a villain for fighting in and outside of school. I'm sure half of us have had our fair share of fights in and out of school. But did we deserve to die? Of course not. And thats something real to consider. A horrible dangerous thug didn't die. A young, impressionable teen was profiled, confronted, and killed. Legal technicalities aside; we know that this kid didn't need to die.

None of you may think like white supremecists, but there are forces in play that are very much about that. Who makes up the prison population? Who has the poorest schools? Which neighborhoods are the most impacted by drug abuse?

Again, I'm not saying to give anyone a pass. In the end we are all responsible for our choices. I'm just saying to be sensitive because for some people, the choices are either very limited, difficult, or altogether unknown.

Array

School
    Ask yourself: how is it that a culture that fought for equal rights and equal education slowly degraded? Why is education and hard work no longer respected as much as it once was? And why are the schools getting bigger police budgets, yet cutting actual educational budgets?

Array

School
    I worked in loan modifications for the biggest bank in America during the height of the mortgage crisis. Guess who had the most sub prime loans. Black and Hispanic people. Guess who got the most foreclosures. Yeah. Hell of a coincidence. In a country where wealth is power, and owning a home is the dream, what better way to set back a people who are catching up? Ruin their financial status. Believe what you want. I'm just displaying facts.

Array

School
    Racism, along with political parties, is just another way to divide and conquer. Truthfully, we are all being taken advantage of. The sooner we see it and unite insured of fight, the sooner we might actually be able to work forward change for all.

The promise of wealth is an illusion. People will literally ignore the suffering of others as long add they feel comfortable believing that they will suffer less. But the thing is, if they are willing to do it to minorities, they will do it to anyone. Don't ignore other's suffering and cling to your comfort. Injustice is injustice regardless of color.

Array

School

This video is a bit hackey and exaggerated, but it does add some perspective.

Much love. I'm done for tonight.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    David I am not discrediting any of what you said I just wanted to put it out there that white people are just as much victims of racism as any other race. Believe that, I was jumped by 13 black folks when I was 14 in a movie theater lobby, and it was simply because I was white. Sadly for them I knew how to fight and most of them didn't lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I think its a bit misguided to believe that the solution is to direct white people to be more sensitive to racism, when they are a victim of it themselves.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I worked in loan modifications for the biggest bank in America during the height of the mortgage crisis. Guess who had the most sub prime loans. Black and Hispanic people. Guess who got the most foreclosures. Yeah. Hell of a coincidence. In a country where wealth is power, and owning a home is the dream, what better way to set back a people who are catching up? Ruin their financial status. Believe what you want. I'm just displaying facts.
    If you get a sub prime loan its typically because your credit is bad. If you pay your bills on time, your credit will be good.
    If you pay the bank what you agreed to, they wont foreclose on your house. Those are facts. You try to make it sound like the bank wants people to not pay their bills just so they can ruin the lives of a minority.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    that cartoon was funny. I grew up hispanic living in NY in an all white neighborhood and the only people that messed with my family were the adopted vietnamese kids that lived up the street. I went to a shitty school district and I busted my ass to get good grades and stay away from dumbasses looking to get into trouble. I graduated with honors and went to college and have a decent job a home and married with kids. People that dont succeed its usually cause they messed around too much in school and felt like victims of society. Screw that make your own fate

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Woolsey View Post
    David I am not discrediting any of what you said I just wanted to put it out there that white people are just as much victims of racism as any other race. Believe that, I was jumped by 13 black folks when I was 14 in a movie theater lobby, and it was simply because I was white. Sadly for them I knew how to fight and most of them didn't lol.
    I'm definitely aware of racist attacks toward white people. But there are situations like that, and there is systematic racial oppression for which there is real evidence of.

Are you aware that Martin Luther King Jr's family won a civil case against the government because they were able to prove the governments involvement in MLK's assassination?

Are you aware that the CIA flooded poor neighborhoods with crack to fund a "secret" war?

There's racism, then there is systematic oppression. Slavery, segregation, poverty, etc....we all deal with problems. But you don't have to deal with systematic oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    I think its a bit misguided to believe that the solution is to direct white people to be more sensitive to racism, when they are a victim of it themselves.
    THE solution? No. Part of the solution, yes. Again, the kind of racism you may deal with is not the same kind that black folks deal with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast