Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    If you get a sub prime loan its typically because your credit is bad. If you pay your bills on time, your credit will be good.
    If you pay the bank what you agreed to, they wont foreclose on your house. Those are facts. You try to make it sound like the bank wants people to not pay their bills just so they can ruin the lives of a minority.
    Sounds like common sense right? You would think everyone just simply knows how to build credit, right? Problem is, many responsible people go well into their 30s paying cash only. But paying your light bill, rent, cell phone, Internet...paying this on time doesn't build credit. So it's not always bad credit. It's insufficient credit history.

For others dealing with a check to check mentality, poverty and minimum wage jobs, it's not 100% realistic for everyone to have perfect credit simply by paying bills on time. When you're forced to choose between paying your light bill, or a cell phone when your hours got cut....getting medical bills sent to collections that you can't afford.

It sound simple. But it's not as simple for everyone.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Perez View Post
    that cartoon was funny. I grew up hispanic living in NY in an all white neighborhood and the only people that messed with my family were the adopted vietnamese kids that lived up the street. I went to a shitty school district and I busted my ass to get good grades and stay away from dumbasses looking to get into trouble. I graduated with honors and went to college and have a decent job a home and married with kids. People that dont succeed its usually cause they messed around too much in school and felt like victims of society. Screw that make your own fate
    Partly true. But you grew up in a white neighborhood. You were able to look around and see success. People that don't succeed don't always know HOW to succeed. If their example of success is a neighborhood of drug dealers, guess what? Your neighborhood, and your parents were examples of hard work. You followed that.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to give you a chance to at least try and see things differently. Victim blaming is not the answer. Apathy is not the answer. Willful ignorance is not the answer.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    david, ia gree there is racism everywhere andthat it affects black people asian people hispanic people probably to a higher degree than white people but i truly believe that going into discussions like this all fired up and throwing around generalisations like white people and black and hispanic people only fires up the people and will get them to unecessarily defned themselves. were all brothers and sisters. some of us just have better tans than others. i judge people on their heritage to a point because it allows me to understand them better and when i say judge i dont mean what people often think. i dont negatively judge them. ie thinking theyre black therefore poor etc. i take my first opinion of them and factor that in to what i know of them.

i know you say youre not trying to offend anyone and i think your being genuine but its also about the way things come across. instead of pointing fingers, lets look at solving problems. get to the peace negotiations before we have the war etc.

peace out everyone

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    Lack of community is what I see, i hear alot of senistive and tolerant people everyday but if only your facebook friends and twitter followers see it what hope is there that the black family at the end of the block know how PC and tolerant you are? We need to say hi, not have a dialogue no need to call jesse jackson, just see what s up with your neighbor. maybe they're dicks, well now ya know, dont hang out, but and i think this is more common than we think, i think we can share a story and a laugh a get one more step towards the equality everyone wants. We need to rebuild our community. And as cheesy as it sounds a smile and a motherfuckin handshake go a long way brothers and sisters.

Array

School
    I'm truly not pointing fingers at any of my brothers here. I'm far from riled up. I'm very calm and peaceful. I understand that it can agitate some people. That's not my intention. No one on here is out to intentionally hurt a person of color. And I'm not saying that.

I mean, I guess it's ok to talk conspiracies for everything else. But systematic racism is also a conspiracy. I don't get why it's dealt with differently.

Segregation. Evidence involving the US governments participation in the MLK assassination. The crack epidemic in minority neighborhoods shortly after segregation fell. Systematic financial sabotaging while the wage gap was closing. There's evidence for this. It's about justice. I'm just trying to get people to unite rather than remain divided. A step in the right direction is understanding the other side rather than victim blame.

I sincerely am trying to help. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm blaming a system. I'm blaming subconscious brainwashing on both sides.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamGunter View Post
    Lack of community is what I see, i hear alot of senistive and tolerant people everyday but if only your facebook friends and twitter followers see it what hope is there that the black family at the end of the block know how PC and tolerant you are? We need to say hi, not have a dialogue no need to call jesse jackson, just see what s up with your neighbor. maybe they're dicks, well now ya know, dont hang out, but and i think this is more common than we think, i think we can share a story and a laugh a get one more step towards the equality everyone wants. We need to rebuild our community. And as cheesy as it sounds a smile and a motherfuckin handshake go a long way brothers and sisters.
    Word. That is definitely a step in the right direction.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Sounds like common sense right? You would think everyone just simply knows how to build credit, right? Problem is, many responsible people go well into their 30s paying cash only. But paying your light bill, rent, cell phone, Internet...paying this on time doesn't build credit. So it's not always bad credit. It's insufficient credit history.

For others dealing with a check to check mentality, poverty and minimum wage jobs, it's not 100% realistic for everyone to have perfect credit simply by paying bills on time. When you're forced to choose between paying your light bill, or a cell phone when your hours got cut....getting medical bills sent to collections that you can't afford.

It sound simple. But it's not as simple for everyone.
    I was one of those responsible people who went into their late 20's paying for everything in cash with ZERO credit history. Then I tried to get a small loan for a car and got denied. So I went on the internet and looked up "how to build your credit". It said to get a credit card and pay it on time. That's what I did and now I have good credit. Sounds pretty simple to me.

As for people who have a history living paycheck to paycheck at minimum wage jobs, what the hell are they doing applying for a home loan to begin with? Its not racist to give poor people who are a big risk a higher rate. Its smart business

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    When you make a statement like this.......
    "My point: Don't diminish their experience until you've walked in their shoes. I'm sure most of you have lived a hard life. I'm taking nothing away from that. But black people (and other minorities) have to deal with the same issues, PLUS the burden of racism. All I'm saying is, try....try...at least try to be sensitive."
    ......How do you think you're coming off?

You say "don't dimish their experience until you've walked in their shoes" but that's exactly what your doing. You say that racism towards minorities is more "subtle and subconscious" which may be true, but that's a hell of a lot better than the blunt in your face racial harassment, robberies, and assaults that Ive had to grow up with. I know its not your intent, but frankly its a bit insulting to have to go through that and then listen to someone tell me that "I" need to try and be more sensitive and that white people don't have the burden of racism. Until you acknowledge that its a problem that comes from ALL sides, your gonna be fighting against people for racial equality, instead of with them

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    i think we should all try to walk a mile in someone elses shoes, then you're a mile away and have their shoes.

thought id throw that in there. seriously though, david, where are the solutions, i think williams idea of building a better community is a good start, but how to do that on a larger scale. atm this thread has been about generalised and then more specific situations where racism has appeared. talking about who has been affected more by racism than someone else is just gunna get us nowhere. to put it bluntly, we need to work together to solve this, not have a cock measuring contest.

put it in other terms, someone puts you in a submission, you dont sit there and complain how they did that, you look to escape. we all know that racism is a problem, consciously or subconsciously but who is going out and changing it? and i dunno if anyone has caught on yet, by changing it i dont mean getting a group together to complain about its existance, i mean, like william suggested, going to their neighbour and getting to know them, learning about others cultures in order to understand where they're coming from even if you dont agree.

one fo the biggest problems with racism is that its too generalised, in saying that black people have it harder than white people, or hispanic people deal with mroe burdens, you are instantly stating soemthing false. its an invalid arguement. all i need is one example to prove (the generalised you not any specific person) you wrong while you need every example to be right in order to prove you right.

sometimes i wish that you were right, cos i would love to be more successful than tiger woods, barack obama. (michael jackson?)

were all family.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    i think we should all try to walk a mile in someone elses shoes, then you're a mile away and have their shoes.

thought id throw that in there. seriously though, david, where are the solutions, i think williams idea of building a better community is a good start, but how to do that on a larger scale. atm this thread has been about generalised and then more specific situations where racism has appeared. talking about who has been affected more by racism than someone else is just gunna get us nowhere. to put it bluntly, we need to work together to solve this, not have a cock measuring contest.

put it in other terms, someone puts you in a submission, you dont sit there and complain how they did that, you look to escape. we all know that racism is a problem, consciously or subconsciously but who is going out and changing it? and i dunno if anyone has caught on yet, by changing it i dont mean getting a group together to complain about its existance, i mean, like william suggested, going to their neighbour and getting to know them, learning about others cultures in order to understand where they're coming from even if you dont agree.

one fo the biggest problems with racism is that its too generalised, in saying that black people have it harder than white people, or hispanic people deal with mroe burdens, you are instantly stating soemthing false. its an invalid arguement. all i need is one example to prove (the generalised you not any specific person) you wrong while you need every example to be right in order to prove you right.

sometimes i wish that you were right, cos i would love to be more successful than tiger woods, barack obama. (michael jackson?)

were all family.
    I like how you were able to relate it back to JiuJitsu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast