Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu

Where's my points?! (Videos)

I've been having a lot of trouble getting the referees to award me points. I'm going to list a few videos bellow as examples. But mostly it is my guard passing points. Typically following a lowckdown sweep.

May 25th, 2013 -- Gold Medal Match -- Men's 145 lb Advanced NoGi -- Kumite Classics, Pittsburgh, PA

2:00 (timestamp)

944298_505786882825922_523383399_n.jpg

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    June 8th, 2013 -- PAGC Superfight -- Versus Professional Fighter & Multiple Time NAGA 139.9 lb World Champion, Chip Gerber -- Beaver Falls, PA

1:48 -- I pull half guard.
    3:00 -- Is the time closer to the transition

995426_260163687457644_1985095917_n.jpg

Attached Images
    Last edited by James O'Brien II; 07-25-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I feel like it ruins the natural experience of grappling when a person has focus on time and points, instead of transitions and submissions. Wish there were more submission only tournaments

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    June 8th, 2013 -- Semi Finals Match -- PAGC Men's 160 lb Advanced NoGi -- Beaver Falls, PA

2:55 -- Time Stamp, No Guard Pass Points Once Again.

972133_261519487322064_356887464_n.jpg

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    This video simply caps off the PAGC tournament. Not relative to the: Where's My Points?! topic.

The video is only 0:56 seconds long.

June 8th, 2013 -- Gold Medal Match -- PAGC Men's 160 lb Advanced NoGi -- Beaver Falls, PA

179780_261519147322098_1784959831_n.jpg

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Do the rules pf the tournament give points for passing directly off sweeps? Like if i hook sweep you right to mount i dont get passing points.

Not every tournament has official refs the ones in winnipeg will mostly be students of the school putting it on. Sonetimes people make mistakes.

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    July 20th, 2013 -- Semi Finals Match -- Grappler's Quest Men's 129.9 lb Advanced NoGi -- Morristown, NJ

0:46 second -- Eventually I received points for the sweep, but no points for the pass.

1:10 -- Do I still get points for mount even if the bottom guy has a submission attempt? (I thought I would, but didn't)

1:35 -- I've always understood the rules as you can't grab your opponents clothes. But you CAN grab your own. Anyone?

3:03 -- No guard pass points again. I even had a bear hug on him.

3:30 -- Technically I should not have been given mount points for it was a mounted triangle. Though I am in favor of changing this rule.

3:50 -- Bad stoppage by the ref while I am grambying to finish the triangle that started in mount.

74707_442532272519682_1601744341_n.jpg

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    Do the rules pf the tournament give points for passing directly off sweeps? Like if i hook sweep you right to mount i dont get passing points.

Not every tournament has official refs the ones in winnipeg will mostly be students of the school putting it on. Sonetimes people make mistakes.
    Video 1, Video 2, and Video 5 had official refs.

Video 1: IBJJF Rules

Videos 2 - 4: NAGA Rules

Video 5: Grappler's Quest Rules

It appears to me that I have to alter the way I pass after my half guard sweeps in order to gain all of my points.
    It may be as simple as slowing down my transitions. But I am open to advice.

Thanks, everyone!

P.S.

I enjoy the point system for the most part. Some things should be altered. Mounted triangles. And body triangles from rear mount, specifically. In some cases the defense to these submissions is to give up position. Be swept, passed, etc. Sometimes the defense to these positional disadvantages is to leave yourself exposed for a submission. It's fun to see how it all comes full circle.

Array

School
    10th planet
    Yea, they Jipped you on that points for the pass , fortunately you were playing for the finish , Nice BTW. I pulled guard from standing in my last tournament athe guy held me up for about a min +, then drops to his knees still in my guard and the ref gave him a take down , Sometimes us 10P guys get it rough , but we have take it with a grain of salt and a smile because they know whats up.. Good Job

the way I always understood it was the same reason you don't get points for taking a person down into side control. you get the takedown points but not passing. you don't get points for being in side control, you get points for passing. they have to establish a guard for a few seconds before you can get points for passing it, otherwise you've bypassed the guard (you can't pass if you were never in their guard). it needs to be like this otherwise someone in side control would be able to dip their foot back in their opponents guard and get it out really quick and call it a pass. if you really want the points, wait a moment before passing after sweeping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast