Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside

I Always Get Guard Pulled on Me

So I always get guard or half guard pulled on me in class. I don't care I like working on my top game. But I feel im getting so much training on top and none on bottom. I'm 99% not in bottom guard. How can I induce a situation where im on bottom. When I try to pull guard 99% of the time we're ending up in the 50/50 position, I know no leglocks or anything at this stage of my training so I usually go on top in fear I will get anklelocked or something. Any thoughts?

Blake

Array

School
    Ronin
    I've found that trying new Judo throws is a great way to end up on the bottom, at least the first dozen or so times I go for them.

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    Easy, mount them first then let them roll you over, they dont get points for it and your where you want to be.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Ya its that easy, let them sweep you into your guard and work from there.. or you could slap hands and immediately sit down.

If you have good training partners, the best idea is to simply ask them to start inside your guard. Good training partner doesnt mean you roll against a world champ in class. It means you have guys willing to work on technique and improving. Willing to work on learning and expanding their game and yours in class. (kinda like your trying to do)

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Heres a cool training tip when your rolling in the gym. If you have trouble getting to work your bottom game, put yourself in the Worst position imaginable. Say you land in full guard after your partner pulls guard simply rollover and let him mount you. This will give you experience defending and escaping the mount and advancing into your guard play from a bad spot. It can be a pain somedays but your chain grappling will double in effectivness because of it.
    Or, if you prefer a dangerous route, launch into a power double leg and when your opponent sprawls, pull guard before your opponent hits any submissions from there. For training, I much prefer the first suggestion!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    You could just ask your partners if you can start on bottom so you can work your guard game...

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Why isn't anyone sweeping you?

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I get swept into side control or mount a lot. Im still a step slow when im getting swept so I lose guard sometimes I get half guard, but my game from half guard is seriously weak that's why I cant get back to guard. Thanks for the suggestions guys I will try some different stuff out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    Ya its that easy, let them sweep you into your guard and work from there.. or you could slap hands and immediately sit down.

If you have good training partners, the best idea is to simply ask them to start inside your guard. Good training partner doesnt mean you roll against a world champ in class. It means you have guys willing to work on technique and improving. Willing to work on learning and expanding their game and yours in class. (kinda like your trying to do)
    I agree with ScottRay. Just simply ask, "hey I want to work my guard. Can we start there?".
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I agree with ScottRay. Just simply ask, "hey I want to work my guard. Can we start there?".
    Seems like a fool proof plan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast