Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP

Mastering the system in a Gi.

I am currently a brown belt in Bjj, and very new to the system. After visiting HQ I have committed to becoming well versed in 10th Planet System! I am a primarily gi jiu jitsu guy, rolling no gi once a week. After a comment made by Prof. Eddie intrigued me. He said, "Marcelo said, if you want to get better in no gi, try rolling in a gi, using no gi grips." (Paraphrased) I like that concept for several reasons: practicing with it gave me the ability to slow my opponent down due to the friction increasing my perceived learning curve. It also can be more difficult because you allow your opponent to grab you gi style while you refrain from doing so.

I totally understand why most 10th Planet guys wouldn't do so, and completely understand why. For starters gi guys always have a fast twitch muscle, explosiveness, issues when compared to no gi guys. If you're going to be an Olympic lifter you won't waste countless days doing curls, you'll be cleaning snatching etc. I also think its necessary in order for the 10th planet system to evolve.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I just started to compete again and am seeing how useful the 10th Planet System can be for gi! Mind you I'm not competing at a world championship level, but local tournaments. What I see in tournaments is some of the more refined skills with the gi are often countered, due to the speed of the match and your own adrenaline making gross motor movements easier to accomplish under hooks as opposed to sleeve or lapel grips, let alone some of the more unorthodox, from a traditional bjj perspective, techniques.

Just some random thoughts I felt like sharing. 10 th planet system has been a bjj paradigm shift for me! Thoughts.....

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    Hey Jessie!

I've been trainig with some guys on the west side of town, by Canutillo. Please hit us up whenever! 915-346-7708.

The address is 7290 Doniphan. Make a right before the dollar general and its on your right hand side. We grapple tues and thrus at 6:45

Peace!

Mario

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Beautiful! Good luck with your journey. Keep us posted on your progress.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    When I roll in the gi I wont use the handles. Still getting no gi reps no matter what Im training in!
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    Mario-Cool, I'll come by! Thanks

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    Cool post, Jesse.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Due to the fact that after years of grip fighting the arthritis in my hands don't let me hold GI grips with any level of efectivness I've been incorporating the system a lot lately. My butterfly sweeps are getting stronger and I hit the Apollo sweep daily. Was starting to get good at basic rubber guard but then jacked both my knees up...one doing a single leg and the other popped doing a triangle...not because of the rubber guard. Trying to put work in on the truck but so hard to not just go for the back. Eddie's half guard game was all I did till purple then I got heavy into deep half now I'm starting to use them both together and it has helped my bottom game drastically! Before my knees went bad I would lasso grip the arm to go to mission control it was working great and if they stacked I could jjsweep easy or play the traditional game off that lasso grip.

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    Louis- thanks bud!

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    Kevinculp- it's the first time in a while I haven't taped my hands when rolling. I'm with you on the grips.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Jesse it sucks too cause I was getting good at playing lasso spider guard. I've switched to playing Braulio's galaxy guard because I can hold the lapel fine just not sleeves but harder to sweep but rocks for guard retention!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast