Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    I don't even know where to start with this fucked up delusion.
    You are out of your mind to think that you have the qualifications to teach a class when you have never felt what it's like to actually do the art. You have no clue how to trouble shoot a position, you have no sense of pressure and timing, and you don't know the first thing about how to build out an effective curriculum. Not to mention, you can't tell if a move is bullshit or not when you watch it on youtube, and most real jiu jitsu happens in between the moves, not during them. You don't know the first thing about that. The rest of the dudes on here are sugar coating shit, but I am not going to: stay away from teaching.
    I have shut my mouth about your weird fascination with your daughter's bjj, but I will speak up now: I am creeped out by it. The constant discussion and posting about her and the sport that you don't do is odd. The fact that you want to take more children under your wing makes me feel icky too. Why do you want to be around all these kids and only kids? You set off all kinds of alarms with your level of fascination. I'm not saying you're an offender, but it sure starts pointing in that direction if you keep moving forward with attracting kids to your flock.
    By the way, why do you want to teach just kids? Is it cause they don't have a bullshit meter yet? If you tried to teach an adult class, you would get smashed on and that would be your first and last day of teaching. However, with kids, you can act like an expert and they won't know any better. You know what a big part of being a professor is? Rolling with any mother fucker who shows up to your gym and putting the smash on him to show you are legit and our art is legit. My bet is you couldn't even smash a one stripe white belt. You fail the first qualification. Not to mention all the other ones. Leave the teaching to the big boys and keep playing in your fantasy internet world, but don't let the two paths cross.
    Everyone wants to be the boss, but they don't want to pay the cost to get there.

p.s. Don't hide behind some bs philanthropic excuse. There are other ways to help kids besides trying to fluff your bjj ego.
    In my opinion that was a little excessive in the way it was delivered... But I do support the general idea. Bruce, you've gotta actually do Jiu Jitsu before you can teach it.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    If you remember Bruce, this was the first piece of advice i gave you on the forum. Then i tried again and you said it was impossible because of a degenerative shoulder and wear n tear from b-ball and powerlifting. Sorry man but that's bs. Learn a style that will work for you. Jj is 1000% adaptable. The only way to get hurt is if you compete with ego during training and refuse to tap or concede sweeps or positions when you're beat. Just humble yourself and train homie. Get smashed and become a student, then you can become a teacher.

Whenever people make excuses about why they can't physically do something, I just look at guys like this and smh.

http://m.wimp.com/dancecrutches/

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    I don’t even know where to start with this fucked up delusion.
    You are out of your mind to think that you have the qualifications to teach a class when you have never felt what it’s like to actually do the art. You have no clue how to trouble shoot a position, you have no sense of pressure and timing, and you don’t know the first thing about how to build out an effective curriculum. Not to mention, you can’t tell if a move is bullshit or not when you watch it on youtube, and most real jiu jitsu happens in between the moves, not during them. You don’t know the first thing about that. The rest of the dudes on here are sugar coating shit, but I am not going to: stay away from teaching.
    I have shut my mouth about your weird fascination with your daughter’s bjj, but I will speak up now: I am creeped out by it. The constant discussion and posting about her and the sport that you don’t do is odd. The fact that you want to take more children under your wing makes me feel icky too. Why do you want to be around all these kids and only kids? You set off all kinds of alarms with your level of fascination. I’m not saying you’re an offender, but it sure starts pointing in that direction if you keep moving forward with attracting kids to your flock.
    By the way, why do you want to teach just kids? Is it cause they don’t have a bullshit meter yet? If you tried to teach an adult class, you would get smashed on and that would be your first and last day of teaching. However, with kids, you can act like an expert and they won’t know any better. You know what a big part of being a professor is? Rolling with any mother fucker who shows up to your gym and putting the smash on him to show you are legit and our art is legit. My bet is you couldn’t even smash a one stripe white belt. You fail the first qualification. Not to mention all the other ones. Leave the teaching to the big boys and keep playing in your fantasy internet world, but don’t let the two paths cross.
    Everyone wants to be the boss, but they don’t want to pay the cost to get there.

p.s. Don’t hide behind some bs philanthropic excuse. There are other ways to help kids besides trying to fluff your bjj ego.
    In fairness, as a parent, it's not necessarily abnormal to take so much pride in the kiddo's accomplishments. The him not being qualified to teach thing I agree with, I just tried to voice it in a more positive way.

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo

This guy trains. My shoulder is all kinds of messed up. I train. There's ways to for you to train that will minimize your injuries. Real talk, after months of PT, the best medicine I've found for my shoulder is jits.

Array

School
    10th planet Peterborough
    I have a shoulder that has dislocated no fewer than 10 times, I have torn cartilage in my knees and I still train and roll, I learned to adapt in order to continue to train and protect my injuries. For self defense purposes no one is gonna ask if I have injuries and avoid them so I use it as a training tool. When my injuries arent flared up I have all sorts of new tools that I would not have if I didnt train around flared up injuries. That being said while doin that you have to be willing to eat humble pie till you get good working around them. Thats my two cents on the injury excuse. Now to the teaching. Someone who watches and doesnt train will never have the "feel"to be able to properly pass on knowledge. Small grips and intricacies are all through out jits and watching MTS in and of itself will not make you an instructor. There is a good chance you will teach something wrong possibly even casue injury. When lower belts start to learn all they are interested in is the gross movements ... all the "new moves"but when you get advanced you get excited for the small stuff that means winning or losing, success or failure. Learning to tweek techniques is a large part of Jits and the path to knowledge. If you havent taken the path, who are you to show it, even if your heart is in the right place its not correct. I wouldnt watch a TV show on how to dance and open a dance studio ... Just sayin
    Stewart Landry
    Head Instructor 10th Planet Peterborough

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile
    Bruce, with all due respect, I agree with others on this one. On a parental stand point I would not send my son to someone's garage to train especially if he were not certified to teach. Too many things could happen. Please if you want to do this start taking classes yourself. Learn the art to teach the art.

Sam Sales

I have been saying the same to Bruce for a long long time now. I believe his intentions are decent if a little misguided.
    I feel like there is a limit to what somebody that doesn't train at all can teach somebody, ESPECIALLY a child prodigy type like Cora. You don't have the ability to troubleshoot techniques etc like somebody that trains. Also you as a grappling dummy will not react to a submission or position the same way somebody that has trained will react. Its the finer nuances you will miss. If you want it to feel as 'organic' as possible you need to be training Bruce.
    I know you often go back to your injury but people roll with injuries and issues all the time (I have 2 blown out knees, slight curvature of the spine that gives me constant back pain, a fucked rotator cuff etc etc), but I am certain if you inform the coaches that you have shoulder issues I am sure they will accommodate. With all the techniques you already know Bruce, you would be a killer on the mats after 6 months solid consistent training.

Array

School
    bobby rivers
    Array
    School
    Port City via Mt. Olympus & HotBoxin Mobile
    No. I don't worry about this.

Bruce, you might be a tad overbearing. The best advice I could give you would be to instead of trying to progress/maximize/control your daughters journey from the bench and to start taking it with her on the mats.

We can all make assumptions from second hand observation, but the knowledge are constantly seek can only be gained on the mats. There's no other way to put it.

I know your on the wrong end of thirty, banged up from basketball(probably chronic knee and back issues right?) and that you have limited time and expenses. These are factors in life that we look at and envy when we see our youth doing it. We say "Damn, if only I found this when I was younger". All I can say is once you start you will never regret a single day and all of your questions will be answered in turn and hold more validity. I have never heard anyone say, "Man, I wish I never started jiu jitsu"

It is what it is and once again I wish you and Cora the best of luck

Posted late 2012. Not trying to pile on, but this is the best advice I've given you. For the record, I don't think you are any kind of predator. I think you genuinely want to do something positive. Just do it the right way homie. Gain credibility. Training is the only way. You can do it.

Array

School
    bobby rivers
    Array
    School
    Port City via Mt. Olympus & HotBoxin Mobile
    No. I don't worry about this.

Bruce, you might be a tad overbearing. The best advice I could give you would be to instead of trying to progress/maximize/control your daughters journey from the bench and to start taking it with her on the mats.

We can all make assumptions from second hand observation, but the knowledge are constantly seek can only be gained on the mats. There's no other way to put it.

I know your on the wrong end of thirty, banged up from basketball(probably chronic knee and back issues right?) and that you have limited time and expenses. These are factors in life that we look at and envy when we see our youth doing it. We say "Damn, if only I found this when I was younger". All I can say is once you start you will never regret a single day and all of your questions will be answered in turn and hold more validity. I have never heard anyone say, "Man, I wish I never started jiu jitsu"

It is what it is and once again I wish you and Cora the best of luck

Posted late 2012. Not trying to pile on, but this is the best advice I've given you. For the record, I don't think you are any kind of predator. I think you genuinely want to do something positive. Just do it the right way homie. Gain credibility. Training is the only way. You can do it.

I don’t even know where to start with this fucked up delusion.
    You are out of your mind to think that you have the qualifications to teach a class when you have never felt what it’s like to actually do the art. You have no clue how to trouble shoot a position, you have no sense of pressure and timing, and you don’t know the first thing about how to build out an effective curriculum. Not to mention, you can’t tell if a move is bullshit or not when you watch it on youtube, and most real jiu jitsu happens in between the moves, not during them. You don’t know the first thing about that. The rest of the dudes on here are sugar coating shit, but I am not going to: stay away from teaching.
    I have shut my mouth about your weird fascination with your daughter’s bjj, but I will speak up now: I am creeped out by it. The constant discussion and posting about her and the sport that you don’t do is odd. The fact that you want to take more children under your wing makes me feel icky too. Why do you want to be around all these kids and only kids? You set off all kinds of alarms with your level of fascination. I’m not saying you’re an offender, but it sure starts pointing in that direction if you keep moving forward with attracting kids to your flock.
    By the way, why do you want to teach just kids? Is it cause they don’t have a bullshit meter yet? If you tried to teach an adult class, you would get smashed on and that would be your first and last day of teaching. However, with kids, you can act like an expert and they won’t know any better. You know what a big part of being a professor is? Rolling with any mother fucker who shows up to your gym and putting the smash on him to show you are legit and our art is legit. My bet is you couldn’t even smash a one stripe white belt. You fail the first qualification. Not to mention all the other ones. Leave the teaching to the big boys and keep playing in your fantasy internet world, but don’t let the two paths cross.
    Everyone wants to be the boss, but they don’t want to pay the cost to get there.

p.s. Don’t hide behind some bs philanthropic excuse. There are other ways to help kids besides trying to fluff your bjj ego.
    wow that was harsh.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast